Nudist-Resorts.Org - Naturist Discussion Forum / Bulletin Board

Nudist-Resorts.Org - Naturist Discussion Forum / Bulletin Board
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?

About Us | Active Topics | Active Polls | Site News | Nudist News | Online Users | Members | Destinations | N. A. I. R. | My Page | Search
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 179 ]  [ Total: 179 ]  [ Newest Member: bea abe ]
 All Forums
 Nudism and The Law
 Media Watch! Pending anti-nudity ordinances etc.
 Virginia Limits AANR East Youth Camp Parent Rights
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic |   Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: Virginia further limits nudist youth parent rights Topic Next Topic: NAC Advisory - Mazo Beach, Wisconsin legislation
Page: of 5

papabare
Forum Member

Posted - 02/26/2004 :  11:11:13 AM  Show Profile  Visit papabare's Homepage  Send papabare a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
And Arizona. We have one! Don't Forget Us! (Atleast I HOPE we still do, contact Shangri La)

Well, the term 'Nudist Camp .. forchildren ages 11 to 17' does that means a Seperate camp or (Like I thought) hosted at a naturist restort?

This bill wouldnt affect me anyway because I wouldnt leave my son or daughter @ the camp without me being there (Most camps wont let that happen anyway). Heck, if he or she gets to spend a week @ a naturist resort I wanna go too!

--------------------
"On the 3rd day of Telecommuting, Dilbert found clothing to not be a necesity" -That Dilbert Dude (quote takin from memmory, dont quote me on it )

Kimberly
Forum Member

Posted - 02/27/2004 :  04:54:13 AM  Show Profile  Send Kimberly a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
That is a shame to hear, something that could have been really positive for the kids.

Kim =^.^=

Admin
Forum Admin

Posted - 02/27/2004 :  11:47:34 AM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Reply with Quote
NATURIST ACTION COMMITTEE
ADVISORY
http://www.naturistsociety.com/NAC/

DATE: February 23, 2004
SUBJECT: Virginia
TO: All Naturists

Dear Naturist,

The Naturist Action Committee is asking you to take immediate action concerning an important legislative matter in the state of Virginia. House Bill 158 would amend Virginia state law to prohibit nude youth camps of the type sponsored by the American Association for Nude Recreation (AANR). NAC is asking that you:

1) contact the members of Senate Education and Health Committee

2) attend the Senate committee hearing for the bill on March 4, 2004.

BACKGROUND

This situation is the latest in an ongoing series of repercussions that can be traced to a New York Times newspaper article published this past summer. The promotional article, which featured details of an AANR nude youth camp in Florida, ignited a fierce backlash among conservative pundits and Republican lawmakers, the most notable of whom was Congressman Mark Foley of Florida.

House Bill 158 was introduced by Virginia Delegate John S. "Jack" Reid (R-Richmond) Reid's measure would deny an operating license to "the owner or lessee of any hotel, summer camp or campground in this Commonwealth that maintains, or conducts as any part of its activities, a nudist camp for juveniles. A 'nudist camp for juveniles' is defined to be a hotel, summer camp or campground that is attended by openly nude juveniles whose parents or legal guardians are not in attendance."

After its introduction, the bill was amended slightly to allow grandparents on the list of those who, by their presence, could qualify a child for participation in a nude youth camp.

The bill was given a House subcommittee hearing before being passed without a "No" vote in a House committee chaired by Del. Reid himself. From there, HB 158 went to the floor of the House, where it was passed by a vote of 98-1. The lone dissenting voter believed the bill wasn't tough enough!

WHAT IS NAC DOING?

The Naturist Action Committee has engaged in dialog with Virginia lawmakers and legislative staff concerning this matter. NAC board member Jonathan Shopiro testified against House Bill 158 at a legislative hearing in Richmond on January 29, 2004, and he is scheduled to speak again at the Senate hearing on March 4.

NAC IS ASKING YOU TO TAKE IMMEDIATE ACTION!

The Naturist Action Committee is asking ALL CONCERNED CITIZENS to contact lawmakers on the Education and Health Committee of the Virginia Senate. This NAC Action Alert includes contact information for lawmakers on the committee and suggestions for what to say when you call or write.

NOTE: Those who live outside Virginia DEFINITELY ARE
being asked to contact Virginia lawmakers at this time.
This issue has a nationwide impact.

CONTACT THESE LAWMAKERS!

The Education and Health Committee will be considering this matter a week from this coming Thursday. If you would prefer to send letters by
conventional mail, you st

Admin
Forum Admin

Posted - 02/27/2004 :  11:51:25 AM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Reprinted from the AANRGovernmentAffairs@yahoogroups.com newsgroup

Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2004 03:04:36 -0000
Subject: VIRGINIA HB 158 - The Time for Action is NOW!

VIRGINIA HB 158 - The Time for Action is NOW! You WILL make a difference.

We appreciate the many of you on our Government Affairs watch group who have been following Virginia HB 158 very, very closely. For those new to this group, the bill would severely limit nudist youth leadership camps in the state by forbidding such camps unless parents attend. Several weeks ago, the bill cleared the House side by a very wide margin.

Until this point, we had asked members of the group to hold back from contacting lawmakers until AANR and AANR East could be sure we would maximize the effectiveness of your contact. Well the time is NOW.

Status Report. Thanks to extremely hard work by the lobbyist whom your AANR / AANR East dues funded, plus repeated visits to the state capitol in Richmond by volunteers from White Tail Park and elsewhere, HB 158 remained tied up in the Senate's Agriculture committee until today, when, instead of holding a hearing on it, the committee referred the bill to the Education and Health Committee. This is incredibly significant because, (1) it slowed the bill's progress; and (2) the membership of the Education and Health Committee, while presenting some challenges, is one of the more neutral playing fields that we could have hoped for. A hearing on the bill is likely to take place very soon.

What does all this mean? You have a genuine opportunity to help us stop the bill that some said was unstoppable!

As we speak, a first class mailing is going out to each and every AANR / AANR East member in Virginia. We're so serious about stopping HB 158 that we have committed over $1500 to this mailing alone. But YOU have a chance to be among the first people that the lawmakers in Education and Health hear from.

What Do You Do? Below you will find a list of all members of the Education and Health Committee, including---and especially---the chairman. We've included the president pro tempore in our suggested recipient list because, while not a member of the committee, he is extremely influential in affecting the course of legislation. You will also find e-mail addresses, fax numbers, and other contact information as well as a template message. The template is simply to help you frame your points - your own words are most effective.

Please send an e-mail, fax, letter, phone call (or, best, all four!) to as many of the people on this list as you possibly can. We know from reliable sources---including those who have made visits---that lawmakers are now "on the fence" (and, in particular, all Democrats as well as Sen. Quayle). Your message may literally mean the difference between stopping or not stopping this bill. So please don't delay.

If we could ask just one more favor, it would be that you cc our assistant Steve Vickers on your message so we can track response. His e-mail address is clericalasst@aanr.com . As a graduate of the nudist leadership camp program, he can also answer questions you may have.

Your membership has already made an incredible difference. Together, it is possible to beat this bill and send a very strong message to the opponents of nude recreation. Thanks for your role in helping us protect nude recreation in Virginia and North America.

Letter Template

The following template is included to assist you in writing your letters and e-mail messages, but your own words are most effective.

Senator H. Russell Potts, Jr. Senator John H. Chichester

Chairman, Education and Health Committee President pro tempore

Senate of Virginia Senate of Virginia

P.O. Box 396 P.O. Box 396

Richmond, VA 23218 Richmond, VA 23218

E-mail: district27@sov.state.va.us E-mail: district28@sov.state.va.us

*There ar

Admin
Forum Admin

Posted - 03/06/2004 :  11:18:59 AM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Reprinted from the AANRGovernmentAffairs@yahoogroups.com newsgroup

Date: Sat, 06 Mar 2004 01:15:34 -0000
Subject: The Value of Your Team (Virginia HB 158)

The Value of Your Team

There are times when the "win / loss" column of a sports team, or the final score of a game, doesn't begin to tell the whole story. This year's Super Bowl was a lot like that. The second most memorable moment (next to Janet Jackson's brief tour de flesh) had to be the field goal booted in the last seconds of the fourth quarter giving New England the win.

Perhaps the best example I can think of this principal at work is the 1992 semi-final game of the NCAA basketball tournament. One year after graduating from Duke law School I watched my Blue Devils trade baskets with the Kentucky Wildcats. The final score of the game went 104 to 103. Duke was on its way to a national championship and got another check in the "win" column. Kentucky simply showed as "eliminated" from the competition and got a check in their "loss" column for the record books.

Twelve years later, if you simply check sports statistics, that's probably all you'd know about the game. Unless you happened to watch the game as it happened or saw footage of it. In that case you know that the contest was one of the greatest moments in the history of college basketball. "104—103" is just a basketball ordinary score unless you know that the ball changed hands—with points to their respective teams—no less than three times in the last 14 seconds of that game. A score sheet doesn't reflect that Duke center Christian Laettner earned the remaining two points for his team with a miracle shot he let fly as the buzzer sounded.

But I can tell you one thing: Never, and I mean NEVER, have any of my fellow classmates or anyone I know, called the 1992 Kentucky Wildcats a LOSING team. You just couldn't say a thing like that without giving away that you never saw that game. Most don't even say Duke won; it's more accurately stated that Duke happened to have the most points on the scoreboard when the buzzer finished buzzing.

Why all this talk about basketball?

There are, perhaps, those who will look at yesterday's vote by the Virginia Senate's committee on Education and Health on House Bill 158 to regulate nudist youth leadership camps for what it was, in purely factual terms: a 15—0 vote to recommend passage. [At the time of this writing HB 158 is on its way to the Senate floor where it will likely pass by wide margins, maybe 40—0. Prior to coming over to the Senate it cleared the House 99—1 and the one who voted "nea" was really a protest vote on a bill he didn't feel went far enough.] For the Associate Press version of the story, please click here:

I guess you could look at those numbers and say, what's the point of having an AANR / AANR East Government Affairs program, the volunteers, staff, and professionals with whom we contract—not to mention the alliances built with groups like NAC and the INA—if, ultimately, it comes down to votes like this?

You could, but that would be like saying that if the Kentucky Wildcats were going to join 63 other teams not winning the NCAA title, they didn't need to showed up and play.

A refresher on what HB 158 will do if enacted. As authored and amended by delegate Reid, HB 158 prohibits licensure of any campground, hotel, etc that conducts a "nudist camp for juveniles." A nudist camp for juveniles is further defined as a camp in which openly nude juveniles are present without a parent, grandparent, or legal guardian in attendance and / or registered and participating.

In the final seconds

Consider this: before taking the vote that passed HB 158 out of Education and Health, the committee narrowly voted against amending the bill in a way that would have allowed parents to select an adult w

Admin
Forum Admin

Posted - 03/06/2004 :  12:03:31 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Reply with Quote
From the Virginian Pilot
Senate panel approves bill banning teen nudist camps in Virginia
Associated Press
© March 5, 2004 | Last updated 10:34 AM Mar. 5

RICHMOND — Nudist camps for teens would be prohibited under a provision passed by a Virginia Senate panel Thursday despite the vehement protests of the nudist community.

The legislation, which nudists claim is unique nationwide, passed the Senate Education and Health Committee unanimously after opponents said it infringed on the rights of parents. The bill now heads to the Senate floor for debate.

Del. John Reid, R-Henrico, said his legislation was aimed at shutting down a weeklong camp for teenagers at White Tail Park, a nudist colony in Southampton County. It was only the third such au naturel camp for juveniles in the nation, according to the American Association of Nude Recreation.

Reid's bill would prohibit the state from licensing any hotel, summer camp or campground that allows nudist camps for juveniles without the supervision of their parents, grandparents or legal guardians.

"This bill is not based on aspersions at all," Reid said. "It allows individuals committed to this lifestyle to continue to have this lifestyle."

But nudists testified otherwise.

Erich Schuttauf, executive director of the Florida-based American Association of Nude Recreation, said the bill would prevent teenagers from attending camps that are similar to conventional summer camps in every other respect.

"There is nothing forming the basis for this statute other than we're uncomfortable that (nudism) exists," Schuttauf said.

Schuttauf said there are 260 nudist parks in the United States and Canada, but only three states—Virginia, Florida and Arizona—where teenagers can attend summer camps without their parents.

Robert Roach, owner of White Tail Park, said the camp's ban on sexual or lascivious conduct is enforced by a ratio of two counselors for every child. Roach said the children, ages 12 to 18, sleep in single-sex tents, which Republican Sen. William Bolling called "encouraging."

"We've had kids live there since day one," Roach said. "If we haven't had any problems, why legislate a bill?"

Schuttauf said nudist camps operate under a unique form of parental trust and that children are instilled with a strict set of morals. He said the bill impedes the rights of parents to determine how to raise their children.

"No state legislature in all 50 states has ever weighed in with a law on this," he said.

Sen. Frederick Quayle, R-Chesapeake, attempted to amend the bill to allow the owner of the nudist camp to be designated in loco parentis, or a substitute for a parent, but the committee rejected it.

The measure passed the House of Delegates 98—1 earlier this month.

calmnude
Forum Member

Posted - 03/06/2004 :  4:14:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
there is a way to fight this. boycott virginia products. when visiting all areas except nudist friendly, choose accomodations in abutting states, make sure you buy gas before you get there.

it is most discouraging that virginia, home of many of the founding fathers who have espoused freedom, and fought for that fredom, have become blind and narrow .

Kimberly
Forum Member

Posted - 03/06/2004 :  6:30:11 PM  Show Profile  Send Kimberly a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I hate to see this, something that helps promote nudism, and then it gets done this way.

Kim =^.^=

philzer
Forum Member

Posted - 03/06/2004 :  9:42:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It is indeed discouraging. White Tail Park, where these nudist youth camps have been held, is where my wife and I have been most often. We would like our boys to at least have the option of attending such a camp. Maybe the pendulum will swing the other way one day.

Philzer

Kimberly
Forum Member

Posted - 03/07/2004 :  03:27:44 AM  Show Profile  Send Kimberly a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I guess they are going to have to have an adult member of the family present at the camp if they have one. Only way I can see around it.

Kim =^.^=

calmnude
Forum Member

Posted - 03/07/2004 :  09:19:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
but if the parent is there, many are not going to send their children. like a regular camp, it's a time for the children to develop on their own, and a chance for the parents to enjoy each other's company, like an annual honeymoon.
just are going to have to relocate it to a more open-minded state.

Admin
Forum Admin

Posted - 03/24/2004 :  12:12:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Reply with Quote
From the Virginia DailyPress.com website - March 24 2004:
New Bill A Looser Fit For Teen Nudism

WHITE TAILS The debate over camps for nude teens is over. But maybe not the way lawmakers think.

The so-called Nudist Camps for Juveniles bill sailed through the Senate (40-0) and the House (98-1), ostensibly to ban any nudist camp that takes in teens without parental supervision.

The original bill forbade nudist camps for minors whose parents or legal guardians are not in attendance. But the final bill reads: "whose parent, grandparent, or legal guardian is not also registered for or otherwise accompanying the juvenile."

To this layman, this means a parent can register, then simply not show up. The net effect is ... why the heck did the General Assembly waste a single minute on this wheel-spinning when we don't even have a blasted budget?

The delegate who submitted the original bill is John S. "Jack" Reid, R-Henrico. Reid didn't return calls for comment, but told a Daily Press reporter last week that he stands by the new law and insists it means parents must accompany their children at nudist camps, except for an occasional errand off the premises to, like, gas up the car or buy groceries.

To clarify, I called the commonwealth's attorney in Henrico. He said they don't have nudist camps there, so he wouldn't comment on the record.

Southampton does have a nudist camp, so I called its attorney. He didn't call back, then took off for a week. All the other attorneys in the office are out, too.

Finally, I reached a legal eagle closer to home. Hampton Commonwealth's Attorney Linda Curtis glanced at the bill summary and agreed there's a loophole big enough to drive a Winnebago full of white-tailed nudists through.

"I guess a technicality would be if you're registered, but you don't show up," Curtis said. "You can be registered, but that doesn't mean you're physically on the property."

Bingo.

Bob Roche, who owns White Tail Park, a nudist camp in Southampton, says the altered language is actually his, presented with a lobbyist's help to an early House subcommittee. And lawmakers accepted it.

"But we never realized the wording until you said something," Roche insisted. Afterward, Roche said he put in a call to his attorney for a legal interpretation. Later, he said his attorney needed more time to study it. Then he stopped returning calls.

Roche still insists the new law is discriminatory and he plans to fight it. He's either being disingenuous or he dodges bullets like Neo. Maybe through sheer luck he drafted language that local attorneys say means, in essence, he can operate his camp pretty much the way he's been doing all along.

Maybe all the other lawmakers in the General Assembly knew it, too - except for Reid - and were just winking at the status quo. Or maybe they plain got snookered.

Just the sort of people you want managing a $60 billion state budget.

The Bead Man
Forum Member

Posted - 03/24/2004 :  12:21:32 PM  Show Profile  Visit The Bead Man's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I guess the only practical effect of the law is that it requires the parent's permission for their offspring to be at the camp. As the camp is going to be in loco parentis that should already have been the situation.

Cheers!

David
"The Bead Man"
www.thebeadman.net

The Bead Artist formerly known as Revilo42

papabare
Forum Member

Posted - 03/24/2004 :  11:46:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit papabare's Homepage  Send papabare a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
This is why Arizona lawmakers laughed the idea out of the house :D They wanted to (My Goodness) do the Budget!!

--------------------
Live Body Proud, Live Clothes Free

Kimberly
Forum Member

Posted - 03/25/2004 :  03:37:22 AM  Show Profile  Send Kimberly a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I agree with you David. The parents register their teen, say I will be at theis number if you need me, and leave. Just like it says in the bill.

Kim =^.^=

Page: of 5 Previous Topic: Virginia further limits nudist youth parent rights Topic Next Topic: NAC Advisory - Mazo Beach, Wisconsin legislation  
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic |   Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Nudist-Resorts.Org Discussion Forum Bulletin Board Nudism Clothing Optional Resort Naturism Nude Beaches © 2002-2020 SUN Go To Top Of Page
This page was down to skin in 0.27 seconds.

General Rules and Terms of Service

Membership in the Nudist-Resorts.Org discussion forum is free, can be anonymous, and requires only a working email address. All email links to members are cloaked. You can disable your email link. Nude photos can be posted, if within our posting rules. No erotica, spam or solicitation is allowed here. References to sex or genitals in your username or profile will result in removal from the forum. Information and opinions regarding anything related to nudism are encouraged, including discussions concerning the confusion between nudism and eroticism if discussed maturely. All posts in this forum are moderated. Read our POSTING RULES here and here. All information appearing on this website is copyright and intellectual property of the Society for Understanding Nudism unless otherwise noted. The views expressed on these forums by participants are not necessarily representative of the Society for Understanding Nudism. Administrators reserve the right to delete anything outside the posting rules, or anything in their opinion not appropriate. To post, you must have cookies enabled and be at least 18 years of age.

Email the Webmaster | Legal Information

Copyright © 2002-2015 SUN - Society for Understanding Nudism
All Rights Reserved