Nudist-Resorts.Org - Naturist Discussion Forum / Bulletin Board

Nudist-Resorts.Org - Naturist Discussion Forum / Bulletin Board
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?

About Us | Active Topics | Active Polls | Site News | Nudist News | Online Users | Members | Destinations | N. A. I. R. | My Page | Search
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 186 ]  [ Total: 186 ]  [ Newest Member: bea abe ]
 All Forums
 General Discussion - Everything Else
 General discussion. Post anything off-topic here.
 Nudism as a form of Utopianism???
Next Page
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic |   Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: Wild Animals and Nudity Topic Next Topic: Nudism and Social Capital
Page: of 2

enrique620

Posted - 10/28/2008 :  4:51:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Greetings, everyone.

My name is Eric and I am a student at the School of Visual Arts in NYC, getting my masters in Video Art. I am currently in pre-production on an experimental documentary concerned with the topic of utopianism and am looking for contributors to this project.

I should say, straight up, that I personally do not choose a clothing-optional lifestyle. Also, due to this, I am not quite up to par with the protocols of interviewing candidates immersed in this ideology. I am simply drawn to the fundamentals of this philosophy as a social evolution of sorts. I am most interested in knowing if individual nudists believe in utopianism or relate this movement to a sort of Utopia?

Do you think that patrons (or any one in the management) would be amenable to interviews? I would also be happy to do email interviews, if anyone would prefer that route. If not, could you refer me to someone who might? I would appreciate any information that you could give me.

Thanks in advance for your time. Hope that this is ok to do :)

Respectfully,

Eric

PS, though I am happy to wax poetic over this topic via email, on-camera interviews are only possible for me in and around the NY area. Thanks.

go n nude
Forum Member

Posted - 10/29/2008 :  11:02:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes this lifestyle would reflect living as, GOD INTENDED MAN (kind), to live in harmony without all the man made moralism commericalism ,many only wish they could grin and bare it but due too many inhibitions or beliefs, they envy this lifestyle of freedom, in wholesome nude recreation just doing so without guilt/ shame or sexism . Many claim they only wished they hadn't sat on the fence and tried it sooner and glad they did. Living life Naturally, to some it may be a Utopia they enjoy.

go n nude

thornapplebison
Forum Member

Posted - 10/30/2008 :  12:47:08 AM  Show Profile  Send thornapplebison a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Be careful, Go,

The idea of a Utopia is twofold. To rephrase it, combining the denotation and connotation of the phrase, it is a fool's paradise.

There have been thousands of Utopian societies established throughout history, and each of them has failed.

The experience of being nude with your family and other nude families around the pool on74 a particularly pleasant day surely feels like paradise. But it is not. We trust each other to act on our best judgement and ignore our baser instincts. Almost all the time, we do.

But one needs only look to the internet to see that nudists are people with inclinations for good and evil.

This is the best nudist forum in the world. Most of the others somewhere contain a cesspit of incest, pedophilia and lechery. Even our own forum spends more time talking about genitals (piercing, waxing, circumsizing, or even female squatting) than any other single topic.

Nudism is not Utopian. Every good movement of people seeks a Utopian end. But we don't believe we're magically transported to Eden. Those who guard the gates at our resorts are often of a caliber that they might teach U.S. Homeland Security a few lessons. They know how precarious a situation we put ourselves and our families in.

But even if we are able to keep out everyone with evil intent, good people still do evil without intending from time to time. Good people disagree. Good people have personality conflicts. Good people sometimes make each other uncomfortable just by being themselves and speaking their own minds.

Nudist life is exactly like clothed life. Maybe we try harder to create a safe and comforting place for each other, but there's only so much we can do. Nudist life is clothed life without the clothes. We just tend to get together for the times that we have set aside to enjoy ourselves.

Edited by - thornapplebison on 10/30/2008 12:50:49 AM

Warmskin
Forum Member

Posted - 10/30/2008 :  02:02:43 AM  Show Profile  Send Warmskin a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Utopia can be experienced in bits and pieces. Life is quite complicated in general, and with the vicissitudinal characteristics of life, it is impossible to have permanent utopia, but you can have it for periods of time, afterwhich we go back to our life as we experience it everyday.

I believe that, for instance paddling around a lake (Laguna Del Sol, for instance) in the nude can be a utopia, but I can't make a living off that. The ride has to come to an end, and I would need to get back to work to earn my living.

So far, nudist camps come closest to being in a utopia, as far as I am concerned.

That government governs best, which governs least - Thomas Jefferson

thornapplebison
Forum Member

Posted - 10/30/2008 :  02:32:07 AM  Show Profile  Send thornapplebison a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Warmskin

So far, nudist camps come closest to being in a utopia, as far as I am concerned.

I will second this.

VLM34
Forum Member

Posted - 11/08/2008 :  02:03:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by enrique620

I am most interested in knowing if individual nudists believe in utopianism or relate this movement to a sort of Utopia?

Not me, and not anyone I know or know of.

Nudists are people who prefer not to wear clothes. That's it, that's all.

Bill Bowser
Forum Member

Posted - 11/08/2008 :  12:56:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There are numerous reasons why each of us is attracted to our preferred lifestyle. I have to agree with VLM34; for me it is mostly the comfort I get from being nude, and the pleasure of sharing that experience with other like-minded people. But that really isn't the point of this thread. Unless I misunderstand, isn't enrique620 (Eric) seeking individuals to interview regarding utopianism. It is impossible to establish whether this request comes from an actual student seeking enlightenment or one of the weirdos our forum often attracts. Since I'm willing to take the risk I'll offer to participate in an e-mail interview, but I don't believe I have much to say that will help establish a link between nudism and utopianism. Eric feel free to PM me and we'll see what happens.

Bill

old hippie
Forum Member

Posted - 11/15/2008 :  03:02:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just now I can't offer the reference, but I have read among some of the historical essays on the spread of naturism from Europe to North America some indications that several of the early proponents were interested in establishing a sort of utopian enclave. In the aspect of searching for an idealised mode of living, perhaps modeled loosely on the Utopia of Aquinas, these pioneers tried to set up communities in harmony with nature, including the freedom from clothes.

From www.orbtoronto.com :

"Organized naturism was called Freikörperkultur (Free body culture) in Germany, the country of its origin. It first came onto the scene at the beginning of the present century.

It was a time of awakening, of shedding stiff Victorian collars and the accompanying values; there came a need for lightness, air, a more natural style of living, as well as less restrictive clothing. Neinrich Pudor's book The Cult of the Nude appeared as a timely beacon. By 1903, Freilichtpark (Free-Light Park), the first known nudist club, was opened near Hamburg. Shortly after that, Heinrich Ungewitter published Die Nacktheit (Nakedness), a utopia of nude living. It went through several reprints."

and

From the website www.internationalnudist.com:

"
February 27, 2008
A Nudist Utopia: Is it possible?

Is a nudist / naturist utopia possible? It depends on your definition of utopia. A utopia, as defined by many, is a place where there is some ideal environment and people and where people behave in some ideal way (i.e. there are never any behavioral problems or violations of the rules). The problem is that, when you’re dealing with humans, you’re dealing with human nature and issues do arise in reality. However, human behavior can be improved with rules or laws that have consequences upon violation. In this more realistic approximation of a utopia, nudist utopias already exist, in the form of nudist resorts. Modern nudist resorts work because there is a basic code of conduct that must be followed. Nudist places where you have no rules are also where you can have more behavior problems, such as public nude beaches.

So if nudist resorts are our real-world nudist utopias, why do some nudists yearn for more? I think for many, it’s because they want a more complete society. While a nudist resort might be a nice little utopia, members may never be able to shop, bank, work or do other everyday, “civilized” activities nude. To live a life within a nudist resort eventually becomes claustrophic and limiting to some. So maybe scale is the issue. Cap d’Agde, France is considered the largest clothing-optional complex in the world, many calling it a “nudist city”. Here, people can indeed buy groceries and bank in the nude. There is no good reason something even bigger (a more complete nudist society) doesn’t exist somewhere, and it’s only a matter of time before it does.

There have been many conceptions of nudist utopias in the past and present. Many have envisioned a nudist island, while others, an area within their own country. Some even dream of a nudist colony on mars or other extraterrestrial destinations!

It’s interesting that many general ideas of a utopia and paradise include nudity. These ideas may be of religious sources, myths, legends, real-life groups. These accounts and conceptions of paradise include the Garden of Eden, at the introduction to Judeo-Christian scripture, and the Greek’s Golden Age. Modern dreams of a utopia often include nudity or nudity-tolerance.

Whatever nudist utopias may exist or have existed, the future is bound to provide even better possibilities.
"

Perhaps one or another of the more informed historians on this forum can correct or expand on this recollection.
VealJ? Do you know?
Prof?

Humbly, as an egg,
Yr old hippie

Dum vivimus, vivamus!

Edited by - old hippie on 11/15/2008 03:16:39 AM

Warmskin
Forum Member

Posted - 11/15/2008 :  11:51:03 AM  Show Profile  Send Warmskin a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Ultimately, utopia is an inner state of being. To achieve it, you have find it within you. Certain surroundings can surely induce that in you, if you let it.

That government governs best, which governs least - Thomas Jefferson

Rodders
Forum Member

Posted - 11/16/2008 :  12:37:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Utopia is a term invented by Thomas More, England's Lord Chancellor in the 1500s and he ended up having his head chopped off. Nudism is what you make it. To many, me included, it is sensual, comfortable, sensible and, on a social level, very rewarding. I think Utopia if it existed would be perfect. Don't think that place exists yet. I often think it does exist for a couple of weeks whilst on vacation.

Rod

NaturistDoc
Forum Member

Posted - 11/16/2008 :  2:18:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
While I suppose there are some zealots among the millions of American nudists/naturists who believe that social nudity represents the path to True Happiness and Global Harmony and World Peace, I doubt that they make up even one percent of the total.

Nudists, like any other brutally repressed minority , tend necessarily to be rather practical sorts. As such, they are generally not good candidates for idealism or Utopianism, although there will always be a few evangelical nudists around to fight the Good Fight ... and vaguely embarrass the rest of us. The only truly Utopian aspect of nudist culture is the desire simply to be left alone to do what we do. But even a cursory tour through this website will reveal very deep differences of opinion - hardly a strong foundation for Utopia.

Practical people know better than to long for a Utopia - which after all literally means "no such place", (The word stands in contradistinction to its homophones "Eutopia" ("good place") or "EEWW-topia" ("swinger resort").) Most nudists don't really want to change the world; we just want to lounge around with our kit off without getting arrested.

Doc

n/a
deleted

Posted - 11/16/2008 :  3:57:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"I doubt that they make up even one percent of the total"

I guess I'm part of that one percent. I dream of such a situation. I'm not totally foolish, however ... I fully realize that so-called Utopian societies always seem to fail. But in the back of my mind I suspect that's because they simply try to impose a variation of the socio-political system they came from. My dream is somewhat less grand ... I simply want to live freely and happily with a group of like-minded adults, who are grownup enough and responsible enough that there is no need for imposed restraints, whether external or internal. I see no inherent reason why such a thing could not be.

I can hear you all snickering now. And perhaps you're right. Perhaps I'm simply a wild-eyed dreamer with her head in the clouds. I don't know. But I would like, someday, to try it.

Rodders
Forum Member

Posted - 11/17/2008 :  05:49:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dream on Honeysuckle. People like you make the world a better place.

Rod

n/a
deleted

Posted - 11/17/2008 :  12:55:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you, Rodders. I don't know about the world ... but a little corner of it would be nice :)

aaardvark
Forum Member

Posted - 11/23/2008 :  9:47:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is a very interesting thread. Eric: Is this project simply a visual arts project or is there some notion of philosophy or social research attached to it? Do you have to come up with some definition of "Utopia" and then see how your 'participants' understand "Utopia"?

I've had to have a bit of a think about this myself. I've been to Cape D'Agde and while it was nice, I didn't necessarily think it was utopia. I saw the same problems of littering and inconsiderate behaviour that I have seen in clothed cities so I came to the conclusion that they were really just clothed people without clothes. Then I thought "maybe if they were all like me with the same worldview, that would be utopia" well no, actually it would be butt-clenchingly boring. Maybe utopia is an unreachable state?

I think NaturistDoc has really hit it on the head for me. Because nudists are on the back wall so much, any chance to get naked is 'utopian' in comparison to the way mainstream society runs. As NaturistDoc says "Most nudists don't really want to change the world; we just want to lounge around with our kit off without getting arrested." That is how I see myself. Utopianism for me would be to be able to go to any beach including our local ones and get naked any time without fear of arrest. While Cape D'Agde might be the closest to utopia that I can get, it is still over 30 hours flying time and several thousand dollars away, a cost I can't particularly afford.

old hippie
Forum Member

Posted - 12/01/2008 :  01:18:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Actually, I think Doc and Honeysuckle may be looking at the connection in reverse: it might not be that naturism leads to Utopia, but that a utopian society would endorse naturism. This seems to me a completely consistent view. As Honeysuckle indicated, any Utopia worth the title would include a full tolerance of any practice that is harmless to others ("live freely and happily with a group of like-minded adults, who are grownup enough and responsible enough that there is no need for imposed restraints, whether external or internal").
So, if the direction of correlation is inverted, we might find a good correspondence of utopianism to naturism. Have you considered that, Eric?

Dum vivimus, vivamus!

Page: of 2 Previous Topic: Wild Animals and Nudity Topic Next Topic: Nudism and Social Capital  
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic |   Printer Friendly
Next Page
Jump To:
Nudist-Resorts.Org Discussion Forum Bulletin Board Nudism Clothing Optional Resort Naturism Nude Beaches © 2002-2020 SUN Go To Top Of Page
This page was down to skin in 0.22 seconds.

General Rules and Terms of Service

Membership in the Nudist-Resorts.Org discussion forum is free, can be anonymous, and requires only a working email address. All email links to members are cloaked. You can disable your email link. Nude photos can be posted, if within our posting rules. No erotica, spam or solicitation is allowed here. References to sex or genitals in your username or profile will result in removal from the forum. Information and opinions regarding anything related to nudism are encouraged, including discussions concerning the confusion between nudism and eroticism if discussed maturely. All posts in this forum are moderated. Read our POSTING RULES here and here. All information appearing on this website is copyright and intellectual property of the Society for Understanding Nudism unless otherwise noted. The views expressed on these forums by participants are not necessarily representative of the Society for Understanding Nudism. Administrators reserve the right to delete anything outside the posting rules, or anything in their opinion not appropriate. To post, you must have cookies enabled and be at least 18 years of age.

Email the Webmaster | Legal Information

Copyright © 2002-2015 SUN - Society for Understanding Nudism
All Rights Reserved