Nudist-Resorts.Org - Naturist Discussion Forum / Bulletin Board

Nudist-Resorts.Org - Naturist Discussion Forum / Bulletin Board
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?

About Us | Active Topics | Active Polls | Site News | Nudist News | Online Users | Members | Destinations | N. A. I. R. | My Page | Search
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 157 ]  [ Total: 157 ]  [ Newest Member: dild0 ]
 All Forums
 General Discussion - Everything Else
 General discussion. Post anything off-topic here.
 Wild Animals and Nudity
Next Page
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic |   Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: Cap dagde and Mosquitos? Topic Next Topic: Nudism as a form of Utopianism???
Page: of 2

openess
Forum Member

Posted - 09/29/2006 :  2:08:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have had some experiences with animals and nudity that have me wondering if anyone else has had similar experiences. (Relax, it’s safe to keep reading.) One of my hobbies is nature photography and I often take my camera out in the woods behind my house. Since this land is my private property, I sometimes, weather permitting, take only my camera, leaving my clothes behind. (I think it enhances creativity to be as free as possible.)
What I have noticed time and again is that when I’m nude, wild animals seem much less afraid of me than when I’m clothed. I’ve consistently found that I can get twice as close to deer when I’m nude as I can when I’m clothed. The same is true for birds. In fact, the other day, while I was trying to get just the right picture of some early autumn leaves, I noticed a wild bird (a white breasted nuthatch) steadily working its way from branch to branch, coming in my direction, pausing to look at me as it got closer and closer. It soon was sitting on a small branch not three feet from my face. At this point, it leaned forward on the branch and I had the sense that it intended to fly to my shoulder. As it left the branch in my direction, I involuntarily flinched and it veered off and flew away.
Strange question I know, but has anyone else noticed that wild animals seem much less fearful of you when you’re not wearing clothes? Since this has happened to me repeatedly, I’m thinking there’s something to this. Has anyone else noticed anything like this? If not, then uh…I was just kidding.

Edited by - openess on 09/29/2006 2:09:39 PM

D-TX
Forum Member

Posted - 09/29/2006 :  5:19:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've noticed the same thing when walking on the nature trails at several nudist clubs here in Texas. Birds, Rabbits, Deer, Armadillos, and even Human Beings seem friendlier when I'm walking nude.

Take Care & Enjoy Life Bare,
David

"Gosh that takes me back ... or is it forward? That's the trouble with time travel, you never can tell." - 4th Doctor in the Doctor Who story "ANDROIDS OF TARA"

allnaturalwife
Forum Member

Posted - 09/29/2006 :  5:21:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Believe it or not..our family dog looks at us funny when we are dressed. Probably because If we are dressed we must be going out somewhere.

Cheri
Forum Member

Posted - 09/29/2006 :  5:52:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The reason is that when you're nude you don't have as much of an artificial scent as when you're clothed. There is no fragrance other than just you.
Cheri

Doing what I can to positively promote nudism
-
-

Edited by - Cheri on 09/29/2006 5:54:22 PM

explorenorth

Posted - 09/29/2006 :  6:02:01 PM  Show Profile  Visit explorenorth's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Another side of this issue is that predatory animals see you as an animal rather than human, too. I almost became lunch for a grizzly a couple of years ago - the story was published as part of an article on nude hiking, and is still online at http://uphere.ca/this-month/magazineDetail.aspx?Cat=Feature&ID=63

Murray

allnaturalwife
Forum Member

Posted - 09/29/2006 :  6:09:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That is interesting. I still think our dog just knows that when we put clothes on we are going to leave him alone:)

Pete Knight
Forum Member

Posted - 09/29/2006 :  7:42:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I posted on this subject at another forum, SNS I think.

I too find that I can walk so much closer to wild life when nude, most noticeable with rabbits which tend to be a bit more skitish than most animals. I walked right up to several rabbits which were nibbling away at fresh grass shoots on a newly seeded area at a club I was visiting, they hardly flinched at all, this surprised me so much I just stood there and watched them eating, this went on for about 10-15 minutes, then I went on my way leaving them to finish their lunch. Never before have I managed to get that close, AND stand the and watch them, despite trying to do this many times when I worked for a water company at a treatment works that was overrun with rabbits, it must be the lack of clothes, some have put this down to the noise, the scent, even the colours of clothing, whatever it is I sure like the closeness with nature.

Pete Knight

D-TX
Forum Member

Posted - 09/29/2006 :  8:29:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A friend of mine who lives at a nudist club here in TX was out watering her yard. A Roadrunner hopped up onto the fence, then down into the yard and walked around her getting sprayed by the hose, all the while making that strange little woodpecker/jackhammer sound that Roadrunners make. In her garden, we've walked right up to Rabbits, Armadillos, and Opossums.

And, of course the Squirrels hang around the bird feeders, but they'd do that even if we're clothed. The Hummingbirds don't seem to mind if we're sitting at the picnic table that's right under the feeders.

Take Care & Be A Bare,
David

calmnude
Forum Member

Posted - 09/30/2006 :  01:26:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree with everyone above.

Animals do react differently.

The dog also knows I am going out or going to work.

openess
Forum Member

Posted - 09/30/2006 :  04:09:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you all for your feedback. Since I’ve witnessed this behavior in wild animals many times, I thought it very likely that other nudists had noticed it too. Thanks for confirming that I probably have not been imagining things. Thanks also to those who offered their theories as to why animals might act this way. This is the question that fascinates me.

I agree that somehow wild animals do perceive us differently when we’re nude. By whatever perception they identify us as human, that perception is apparently altered when we’re not covered by clothes. As some have suggested, it may be that by their sense of smell or sight they perceive the nude person so differently that they may not even be sure it is a person they’re encountering. That’s the impression I get when I’m nude around them; it’s as if they’re confused and curious. Not being easily perceived as a human is usually an advantage in that it lets you get closer to them. But it can also be a huge disadvantage when, as explorenorth pointed out, the animal is a large predator looking for a meal. Sometimes it pays to be glaringly human.

I wish I knew by what primary sensory mechanism they perceive us as human. What key discriminator in a wild animal’s brain says “yep, that’s a human!”? In addition to sight and smell, which are two senses that we have and can relate to, I wonder if there are other senses that animals have, for which we have no counterpart, and so don’t even consider. For example, do animals have a sense for perceiving artificial (non-natural) objects in their environment? If so, covered in our clothes we would appear like an artificial object, a moving one at that. I can imagine wild animal parents conveying to their young: “make sure you stay away from those moving artificial objects”. But when we go nude, we’re perceived as a natural object, and therefore are not so easily identified as something that doesn’t belong.

Whatever the explanation, I am repeatedly amazed by the difference in animal reactions to me when I’m nude vs. when I’m clothed. Being able to get closer to them by being nude is another argument in favor of this beautiful way of being. But that said, based on explorenorth’s report, I’ll definitely think twice about being a bare person in bear country. Thanks again everybody.

Edited by - openess on 09/30/2006 04:11:22 AM

Pete Knight
Forum Member

Posted - 09/30/2006 :  08:01:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The oneness with nature is the main attaraction for me, I've often said I wouldn't care if I never saw another naked human, just as long as I can take my naked walk through the woods from time to time. Social interaction naked is fine, but not so very different to when I'm clothed, but experience of the great outdoors is enhanced by nudity, at least thats what I feel.

I believe the main reason that animals are nervy when clothed humans come within earshot is the rustling and rubbing of clothing, I have made comparisons when out walking, I go for while clothed until I'm comfortable with removing them, then I spend some time nude, the noises I make as I walk are very different indeed.

Are there many people here on N-R.org who participate in freehiking, I personally feel that it is true freedom.

Pete Knight

Edited by - Pete Knight on 10/02/2006 09:30:57 AM

runrdad
Forum Member

Posted - 10/02/2006 :  09:28:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Since I enjoy hunting maybe I need to hunt nude? Of course it could get uncomfortable in December and January. Plus those briar's would be tough on your skin. But you should be able to slip around through the woods real quiet without clothes to catch onto branches.

I've been to hell but didn't stay long enough to talk to the devil.

openess
Forum Member

Posted - 10/02/2006 :  12:13:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I gave up hunting (unless you count with a camera) many years ago, but it did occur to me that nudity might be the best camouflage. However, as you point out, it's not a very good insulator in the middle of winter.

traisjames
Forum Member

Posted - 02/26/2008 :  11:32:55 AM  Show Profile  Visit traisjames's Homepage  Click to see traisjames's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Pete Knight

I posted on this subject at another forum, SNS I think.

I too find that I can walk so much closer to wild life when nude, most noticeable with rabbits which tend to be a bit more skitish than most animals. I walked right up to several rabbits which were nibbling away at fresh grass shoots on a newly seeded area at a club I was visiting, they hardly flinched at all, this surprised me so much I just stood there and watched them eating, this went on for about 10-15 minutes, then I went on my way leaving them to finish their lunch. Never before have I managed to get that close, AND stand the and watch them, despite trying to do this many times when I worked for a water company at a treatment works that was overrun with rabbits, it must be the lack of clothes, some have put this down to the noise, the scent, even the colours of clothing, whatever it is I sure like the closeness with nature.

Pete Knight

We have alot of deer up here and I think I will have to go out once the deer come out and try this out behind the college near the creek.

From the guy with his eye on the sky

sueallday
Forum Member

Posted - 02/26/2008 :  1:34:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My husband has assured me that while hiking, bears leave nudists allow because they like their food fresh out of the packaging.

go n nude
Forum Member

Posted - 02/26/2008 :  2:16:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I thought it was just me, you,re all very observant.The animals aren't afraid of nudists its the clothes they see. Many times I've encountered deer even had two follow me without my knowledge when i did realize they bolted.Last summer at dusk on crown land trail a coyote pack near by and one charges towards me, I thought, I would be found dead,fortunately it stops(FROZE) 1ft. away and runs away.Their howling ended that hike. A few summers back i encountered a black bear(4 Legs)we both ran in the opposite direction. Wild animals are wild and should be avoided they can and will attack if they feel your encroaching or threatening their young. Even deer can deliver a deadly hoof or even a tick with Lyme disease. They may not fear nudists, we must respect their world.

go n nude

Page: of 2 Previous Topic: Cap dagde and Mosquitos? Topic Next Topic: Nudism as a form of Utopianism???  
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic |   Printer Friendly
Next Page
Jump To:
Nudist-Resorts.Org Discussion Forum Bulletin Board Nudism Clothing Optional Resort Naturism Nude Beaches © 2002-2020 SUN Go To Top Of Page
This page was down to skin in 0.22 seconds.

General Rules and Terms of Service

Membership in the Nudist-Resorts.Org discussion forum is free, can be anonymous, and requires only a working email address. All email links to members are cloaked. You can disable your email link. Nude photos can be posted, if within our posting rules. No erotica, spam or solicitation is allowed here. References to sex or genitals in your username or profile will result in removal from the forum. Information and opinions regarding anything related to nudism are encouraged, including discussions concerning the confusion between nudism and eroticism if discussed maturely. All posts in this forum are moderated. Read our POSTING RULES here and here. All information appearing on this website is copyright and intellectual property of the Society for Understanding Nudism unless otherwise noted. The views expressed on these forums by participants are not necessarily representative of the Society for Understanding Nudism. Administrators reserve the right to delete anything outside the posting rules, or anything in their opinion not appropriate. To post, you must have cookies enabled and be at least 18 years of age.

Email the Webmaster | Legal Information

Copyright © 2002-2015 SUN - Society for Understanding Nudism
All Rights Reserved