Nudist-Resorts.Org - Naturist Discussion Forum / Bulletin Board

Nudist-Resorts.Org - Naturist Discussion Forum / Bulletin Board
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?

About Us | Active Topics | Active Polls | Site News | Nudist News | Online Users | Members | Destinations | N. A. I. R. | My Page | Search
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 212 ]  [ Total: 212 ]  [ Newest Member: dild0 ]
 All Forums
 Education - Promoting the Nudist Lifestyle
 Educating the public about nudism
 Are you Nude or Naked? What's the difference?
Next Page
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic |   Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: Statistics—Nudism and clothing optional business Topic Next Topic: Another at the doctors office fun time
Page: of 3

Admin
Forum Admin

Posted - 04/07/2004 :  11:41:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Reply with Quote
From Glode and Mail.comWednesday - April 7, 2004
Alanis looked nude, Janet was naked
By WARREN CLEMENTS

Since singer Alanis Morissette's body suit at the Juno Awards Sunday night was designed to make her look nude, should it have been spelled bawdy suit?

And what's the difference between nude and naked anyway? Why was Quentin Crisp (as his book title had it) The Naked Civil Servant rather than the nude one? Why is a nude beach not a naked beach? After Justin Timberlake exposed Janet Jackson's breast at the Super Bowl on Feb. 1, writers in this newspaper described it in two articles as a naked breast and in one as a nude breast. However, they preferred the expression "exposed breast," which appeared in five articles, and were so taken with Timberlake's desperate euphemism for ripping off Jackson's breastplate and brassiere -- "wardrobe malfunction" -- that they used it 11 times.

In a 2001 column, I noted that naked derives from the prehistoric Germanic naquethas and nude from the Latin nudus, but that both originated in the Indo-European nogw, unclothed. If there is a distinction, it may lie in the sound (nude is softer, naked has an aggressive k) or in the words' associations. The expression "in the nude" is coy, suggesting that a choice has been made to doff one's clothing. That's a far cry from the way we come into the world -- naked. The stage play has a nude scene; very civilized. We speak the naked truth; very harsh. When being unclad is natural, it's nudism; when it's startling, it's bare-naked. In the financial world, a naked option is one not backed up by its related stock. William and Mary Morris wrote that, while the words nude and naked are synonymous, "nude has the edge in gentility and is more likely to appear in polite publications than naked."

Hugh Rawson spoke to this point in his book A Dictionary of Euphemisms and Doubletalk. "A woman may pose for an artist in the 'nude,' but if she is seen minus her clothes by a Peeping Tom, then she is 'naked.' And if, as happened once in an art class I attended, the unauthorized viewing is done during the posing, then the model is simultaneously 'nude' and 'naked.' In this instance, the model immediately grasped the semantic point as well as her robe, and would not resume her pose until the cops had been called and the peeper chased away."

In comparing ourselves with other animals, we prefer the hard sound of naked: naked as a jaybird. When Desmond Morris placed humans with the rest of the kingdom in 1967, he called his book The Naked Ape, not the nude ape. But the animal kingdom does have nudibranches, which are marine gastropods that don't have shells, and nudicaudate creatures, which have no hair on their tails.

Coincidentally, the Anglo-Saxon word for tail in the 1200s was steort, later spelled start. A person who was starkers right down to the tail was known as start naked, until the expression evolved into stark naked. When Morissette opts for the modest option of a body suit, that may qualify as star naked.

wclements@globeandmail.ca

NUDKIWI
Forum Member

Posted - 04/08/2004 :  3:13:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Gee and i thought NUDE was just short for Natural dUDE.

Naturally KIWI

matt_matt
Forum Member

Posted - 04/08/2004 :  4:00:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Personally I prefer the word nude as you say is softer than the harsh naked (nackt - german). Over here so many people use the word "naturist", I have never understood this word as it seems to imply something to do with nature?

And it is confirmed in my dictionary; not listed on its' own but under Nature n., blah blah blah; Naturism, worship of the powers of nature.-n.Naturist adj.

So one could be a Naturist with or without clothes?

I'll stick to being nude or without clothes, in more ways than one. :)

Matt

greg_ldssdc047
Forum Member

Posted - 04/08/2004 :  4:06:19 PM  Show Profile  Send greg_ldssdc047 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I've always associated "nude" with a simple lack of covering, but "naked" adds a sense of vulnerability.

Perhaps this comes from my religious upbringing. As I looked at nudism from a Christian perspective, you find that the word "nude" does not occur in the KJV of the Bible. "Nakedness" in the Bible is mostly associated with poverty or a state of slavery. Nakedness is never condemned in the Bible, but failing to "clothe the naked" is considered a sin. It is fairly universally accepted that it refers to allowing people to remain in such abject poverty that they must be naked. In a region of the world where the sun kills very quickly, this can be understood.

"Nude", therefore, to me, is voluntary and non-threatening. "Naked" involves involuntary nudity or vulnerability to some sort of threat... elements, gawking, ridicule, etc...

Greg

matt_matt
Forum Member

Posted - 04/08/2004 :  5:06:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by greg_ldssdc047

........."Nude", therefore, to me, is voluntary and non-threatening. "Naked" involves involuntary nudity or vulnerability to some sort of threat... elements, gawking, ridicule, etc...

Greg

Well put Greg, I have never heared of a naked beach or resort. Perhaps you may have started a new term for the beach with the Gawkers - "Naked Beach"!

Hopefully you will all know where i'm coming from if I mention "blahblah beach was a naked one but not nude"

Drifting now and forgetting what the topic is but does anyone else have problems with the colour of visited and not visited topics, they seem to be a similar shade of brown to me, more contrast needed Kevin!

Regards,

Matt

Kimberly
Forum Member

Posted - 04/09/2004 :  03:25:24 AM  Show Profile  Send Kimberly a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
When you go to the furniture store to buy unfinished furniture, you buy "nude" furniture, not "naked" furniture.

Kim =^.^=

The Bead Man
Forum Member

Posted - 04/09/2004 :  11:13:19 AM  Show Profile  Visit The Bead Man's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by matt_matt

Drifting now and forgetting what the topic is but does anyone else have problems with the colour of visited and not visited topics, they seem to be a similar shade of brown to me, more contrast needed Kevin!
They are too similar - this is especially irritating in the page indexes, where end up rereading pages when you can't quite make them out!

I guess nothing is perfect! -- Now back to your regularly scheduled topic.

Cheers!

David
"The Bead Man"
www.thebeadman.net

The Bead Artist formerly known as Revilo42

Seneca
Forum Member

Posted - 04/09/2004 :  11:37:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Kimberly, in my area, they call it naked furniture, not nude. In fact, there's a store here called "Naked Furniture".

Seneca
Forum Member

Posted - 04/09/2004 :  11:40:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Personally, I prefer the word nude, over naked. Many in my region just use "nekkid" instead of either term.

The Bead Man
Forum Member

Posted - 04/09/2004 :  1:40:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit The Bead Man's Homepage  Reply with Quote
There's also a brand called "Furniture in the Raw" - maybe they were just avoiding the issue.

Cheers!

David
"The Bead Man"
www.thebeadman.net

The Bead Artist formerly known as Revilo42

Kimberly
Forum Member

Posted - 04/10/2004 :  12:33:47 AM  Show Profile  Send Kimberly a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I have heard the term "being in the raw", maybe it is used some where.

Kim =^.^=

FireProf
Forum Member

Posted - 04/10/2004 :  01:32:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We use both terms frequently. When we talk with other nudists we use the work naked...like " lets go someplace where we can get naked, or be naked", when talking to my wife or she will say to me, "lets get naked and go outside and relax, garden, etc. which is rare because we are always naked at home.

When we talk to others about our lifestyle we usually use the word "nude", then they counter with, "you get naked?'

We use both at various times and depending on who we are talking to.

nudeisntlewd
Forum Member

Posted - 04/10/2004 :  02:17:44 AM  Show Profile  Send nudeisntlewd a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Here's my 2 copper Lincolns:

To my mind, nude has always meant being comfortably undressed, while naked lends an air of being exposed. When I'm with you people, I feel nude (comfortably undressed). But when a non-nudist friend came to this forum to read some of my stuff and saw my avatar, I felt naked (exposed & vulnerable).

I also like Greg's observations about vulnerability. I'd like to also add that even though he knew the answer, God asked Adam & Eve, "Who told you you were naked?" Right there, it tells me that God's saying that there's nothing wrong with it (according to my religious beleifs), and they were made to think that it was bad by a trouble maker. They lost their child-like innocence. They felt exposed and vulnerable.

Randy

Edited by - nudeisntlewd on 04/10/2004 02:25:50 AM

Skeptic
Forum Member

Posted - 04/10/2004 :  07:37:54 AM  Show Profile  Send Skeptic an ICQ Message  Reply with Quote
To me it makes little difference, although "nude" sounds a bit better. I would rather tell someone I am a nudist than simply that I like running around naked. Generally I say I am a naturist so I can provide an explanation to someone who doesn't know what that is. Members of the textile world frequently have a preconceived notion of what a nudist is and answering a question can often change the way they look at my side of the world.

Edited by - Skeptic on 04/10/2004 07:40:15 AM

calmnude
Forum Member

Posted - 04/10/2004 :  1:34:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
or if you are ordering a sandwich in certain places, "naked" means with no lettuce tomato, onion or mayo

Admin
Forum Admin

Posted - 04/10/2004 :  10:59:02 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by matt_matt

...does anyone else have problems with the colour of visited and not visited topics, they seem to be a similar shade of brown to me, more contrast needed Kevin!

Regards,

Matt
Matt, I've adjusted things a bit. It should be a bit easier to see now.

Page: of 3 Previous Topic: Statistics—Nudism and clothing optional business Topic Next Topic: Another at the doctors office fun time  
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic |   Printer Friendly
Next Page
Jump To:
Nudist-Resorts.Org Discussion Forum Bulletin Board Nudism Clothing Optional Resort Naturism Nude Beaches © 2002-2020 SUN Go To Top Of Page
This page was down to skin in 0.36 seconds.

General Rules and Terms of Service

Membership in the Nudist-Resorts.Org discussion forum is free, can be anonymous, and requires only a working email address. All email links to members are cloaked. You can disable your email link. Nude photos can be posted, if within our posting rules. No erotica, spam or solicitation is allowed here. References to sex or genitals in your username or profile will result in removal from the forum. Information and opinions regarding anything related to nudism are encouraged, including discussions concerning the confusion between nudism and eroticism if discussed maturely. All posts in this forum are moderated. Read our POSTING RULES here and here. All information appearing on this website is copyright and intellectual property of the Society for Understanding Nudism unless otherwise noted. The views expressed on these forums by participants are not necessarily representative of the Society for Understanding Nudism. Administrators reserve the right to delete anything outside the posting rules, or anything in their opinion not appropriate. To post, you must have cookies enabled and be at least 18 years of age.

Email the Webmaster | Legal Information

Copyright © 2002-2015 SUN - Society for Understanding Nudism
All Rights Reserved