Nudist-Resorts.Org - Naturist Discussion Forum / Bulletin Board

Nudist-Resorts.Org - Naturist Discussion Forum / Bulletin Board
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?

About Us | Active Topics | Active Polls | Site News | Nudist News | Online Users | Members | Destinations | N. A. I. R. | My Page | Search
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 434 ]  [ Total: 434 ]  [ Newest Member: dild0 ]
 All Forums
 Education - Promoting the Nudist Lifestyle
 Educating the public about nudism
 Another at the doctor's office fun time
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic |   Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: Are you Nude or Naked? Whats the difference? Topic Next Topic: Public Nudity  

blackrebel
Forum Member

Posted - 08/26/2008 :  1:24:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit blackrebel's Homepage  Send blackrebel an AOL message  Send blackrebel a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I had to do a followup to my transplant surgery. When the tech asked to undress for the nurse practicioner, I was done before she turned to give me my paper robe. I was met with an "OMG ... I'm sorry ... let me get you a robe" and before she could in walks the NP!! As a joke I asked the tech "so, undressed men make you nervous?" The NP was also laughing nervously. To put them at ease I put on the robe.

The tech tried to apologize then I explain to the effect "I swim regularly and have not worn a suit in almost 20 years, go to nudist resorts, play vollyball with nudist friends, why should I feel uneasy?"

Funny thing is, the tech is someone who I have been trying to go to lunch with for a while.

No shame

boomdriver
Forum Member

Posted - 08/27/2008 :  8:17:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
blackrebel,

Almost the exact same thing happened to me at my UROLOGIST'S office, of all places! The poor woman started to stutter, and tried to hand me my paper robe while looking the other direction, waving it in the air until I could take hold of it. You'd think that, given the doctor's specialty, she would be more used to seeing naked people!

I'm sure I think I said what I probably meant, but maybe not.

Cheri
Forum Member

Posted - 08/28/2008 :  09:49:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This past month at my annual gyn exam & mammography, they're all used to me after 16 yrs. LOL Sometimes we don't bother with the paper robe in the x-ray room, but usually always in the exam room for the internal.
Cheri

Doing what I can to positively promote nudism
-
http://pages.prodigy/cheridonna

pilot
Forum Member

Posted - 08/28/2008 :  10:10:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
All,

It's important to understand that medical professionals are ethically obligated to be alert to and to respect boundaries. While all of us are quite comfortable nude--we regard it as the natural state of affairs--health care professionals are constantly reminded of the the importance not only of their conduct but also the appearance of their conduct.

The urgency with which they ask you to don a gown while they look away has nothing to do with their personal comfort level. It has to do with protecting their credentials to practices as technicians, nurses and doctors.

It is entirely reasonable to expect professionals to be professionals regarding the absence of tan lines, body hair, body ornamentation and so on. It is equally professional to ask questions pertaining to sun safety etc.

But it is not reasonable to expect them to share your comfort with nudity in their professional offices. Anything that might appear to be professionally improper risks their career and livelihood.

Warmskin
Forum Member

Posted - 08/28/2008 :  4:13:20 PM  Show Profile  Send Warmskin a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Pardon my naivety, but do doctors ever comment about a well tanned derriere? I just wondered. I'm a bit shy about sporting a tan in that tender area, and so I use SP 60 on my hind quarters, and on other features. I just wondered what a doctor's reaction might be. Who knows, maybe they don't care at all, as long as you pay your bill and take their prescribed medicine, all of which I do, gratefully. I don't worry about that with my auto mechanic, or dentist.

That government governs best, which governs least - Thomas Jefferson

pilot
Forum Member

Posted - 08/28/2008 :  5:08:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Warmskin...

We doctors do not comment about the presence or absence of tan lines, whether you shave and so on. We are paying attention to general health, not grooming options.

For what it's worth, tan lines have become almost non-existent. I have seen one patient with tan lines this summer. Real sun, tanning beds (not recommended for most folks) or "spray-on" tan, patients seem to prefer the uninterrupted "look" if they are tanned at all.

If you get a "nice tan" comment, it is more an introduction to questions about sun safety and so on, or a "where did you go on vacation?" friendly social question.

boomdriver
Forum Member

Posted - 08/30/2008 :  4:28:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
pilot-
I have friends and relatives in the medical profession, so I do realize there are certain professional standards to maintain and protocol they must follow. I realize now my post seemed to ridicule the nurse, but that was certainly not my intention. I owe my life to these people, and to you and them I offer my apologies. That said, you should have seen her! I guess you had to be there....

I'm sure I think I said what I probably meant, but maybe not.

Warmskin
Forum Member

Posted - 08/30/2008 :  5:29:07 PM  Show Profile  Send Warmskin a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I had a urologist "event." I had bypass surgery earlier in the year, but a nurse installed an infected catheter in my urinary tract. That caused some major problems, to the point I needed a urithectomy. (sp?) The day of the minor surgery, I felt like a nude model, as various medical folks were looking at my penis. They were talking about their angle in enlargening my urinary tract all the way back to my bladder.

I don't know why I bother getting dressed that day. The last thing that happened was a woman came barging into my short recovery room, where I had just succeeded in removing the hospital gown, She had a drill sergeant voice. So, I sat down in a hurry while she told me about the post operative instructions. During half way through this lecture to me, I suddenly was holding back laughter, because I didn't have anything on while I sat in front of her.

They say there is little dignity in a hospital, but I would have a different take on that. It's one's attitude that determines the dignity, not what part of the body is showing. By dignity, I don't mean a benign arrogance, but more at feeling graceful in a hospital because of one's attitude. This is one area where nudists have the complete advantage.

That government governs best, which governs least - Thomas Jefferson

HL79D

Posted - 09/08/2008 :  05:44:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ah yes, urinary business.

One of my health problems at the moment is having a catheter fitted. This has to be changed every couple of months (sorry if this is too much information!). In the early days I found it somewhat disconcerting to enter a small operating room seemingly full of young female nurses and have them get up close and personal with my penis etc. However over time and many visits we all seem to have become good chums (as we say in the UK) and now we all happily chat away while the intimate business is done.

I also have district nurses regularly visit me at home to attend to a problem with my own hind quarters, and I have to get dressed only to get partly undressed again when they arrive. I have naturally pondered not bothering to get dressed in the first place but of course don’t wish to embarrass either of us or compromise their professional boundaries. Daft isn’t it?

agde
Forum Member

Posted - 02/25/2009 :  1:20:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There is an interesting discussion going on over at the "bioethics blog" that is primarily designed to open a dialogue between patients with "modesty issues" and health care professionals, but the doctor managing the discussion has invited naturists to participate both to provide an alternative view on modesty and to voice naturist preferences. Apparently, contrary to what might be assumed, men have more "modesty issues" nowadays than women due to the growing number of women in health care.

Anyone interested can get a sense of the discussion starting on page 8 or page 9, or go to the current discussion here. Although posts are anonymous*, if you are a health professional and naturist, or a naturist with health care preferences or stories, it's a good opportunity see what it feels like to be a public naturist in a mainstream forum.

(* end each post with a pseudonym in parentheses, then publish as "anonymous")

Edited by - agde on 02/25/2009 1:24:31 PM

NaturistDoc
Forum Member

Posted - 02/25/2009 :  5:12:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My take on anesthesia has been "I can dish it out, but I can't take it." But in December, I was obliged to have a hernia repair - my first anesthetic ever from the consumer's point of view. My anesthesiologist was one of my partners, a woman I've known for 20 years. At first she was a little taken aback - "Are you sure you want me to do this?" My reply was "After all this time, you've seen all my shortcomings. One more isn't going to matter." I did get a hey-no-tan-lines comment from one nurse, but that was the extent of it.

pilot
Forum Member

Posted - 02/25/2009 :  10:30:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The bioethics blog that agde referred to makes for interesting reading.

There's a curious distinction between the way textiles and naturists divide public from personal. My sense is that nudists have a more consistent way of dividing body and mind. We nudists do not "regionalize" our bodies (this is exposed, that is covered). I suspect we mind less about the gender of a person manipulating our body than their skill (think massage).

On the other hand, I do not think there is much difference in the mind-gender alignments between the naked and the clothed. Women seem to engage in "girls-only" discussions; men have their "locker-room" conversations. Gender-mixed company has its own rules, with or without clothes.

n/a
deleted

Posted - 04/04/2012 :  09:19:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would love it if I found a GP who put down in my chart notes "NUDIST" and just would grant permission for me to get nude once I am put in a private exam room while I wait for both the nurse then the Dr. I did come close to this one time I had a button up shirt and the Dr. who was a woman from the middle east like Pakistan or similar she had me take it off so she could begin my physical check breathing etc. So she went about her work then came time for the hernia,testical exam portion had it done before nothing new to me so I was waiting for her to say I have to grab a nurse for the witness reasons but she didnt she just said ok remove your bottoms for me. I was shocked as every other Dr I had made a nurse come in and basically watch me as I got nude, I remembered at time I was in a natural state by that I mean I was untrimmed just natural bush. And after she did her checkup of me I actually asked her if there truly was any health benefit to shaving ones pubic area, to this she said Your body does things for a reason you have pubic hair for a reason it does not hurt to shave but by nature there is a reason you have a bush down there. It does not help or hurt you to shave it. I was just shocked she would have been so open to discuss that while I was still nude.

Edited by - n/a on 04/04/2012 09:51:03 AM

Previous Topic: Are you Nude or Naked? Whats the difference? Topic Next Topic: Public Nudity  
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic |   Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Nudist-Resorts.Org Discussion Forum Bulletin Board Nudism Clothing Optional Resort Naturism Nude Beaches © 2002-2020 SUN Go To Top Of Page
This page was down to skin in 0.32 seconds.

General Rules and Terms of Service

Membership in the Nudist-Resorts.Org discussion forum is free, can be anonymous, and requires only a working email address. All email links to members are cloaked. You can disable your email link. Nude photos can be posted, if within our posting rules. No erotica, spam or solicitation is allowed here. References to sex or genitals in your username or profile will result in removal from the forum. Information and opinions regarding anything related to nudism are encouraged, including discussions concerning the confusion between nudism and eroticism if discussed maturely. All posts in this forum are moderated. Read our POSTING RULES here and here. All information appearing on this website is copyright and intellectual property of the Society for Understanding Nudism unless otherwise noted. The views expressed on these forums by participants are not necessarily representative of the Society for Understanding Nudism. Administrators reserve the right to delete anything outside the posting rules, or anything in their opinion not appropriate. To post, you must have cookies enabled and be at least 18 years of age.

Email the Webmaster | Legal Information

Copyright © 2002-2015 SUN - Society for Understanding Nudism
All Rights Reserved