Nudist-Resorts.Org - Naturist Discussion Forum / Bulletin Board

Nudist-Resorts.Org - Naturist Discussion Forum / Bulletin Board
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?

About Us | Active Topics | Active Polls | Site News | Nudist News | Online Users | Members | Destinations | N. A. I. R. | My Page | Search
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 119 ]  [ Total: 119 ]  [ Newest Member: dild0 ]
 All Forums
 Education - Promoting the Nudist Lifestyle
 How to educate your non-nudist family members
 Family view regarding nudity around the home
Next Page
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic |   Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: Son and Daughter Confused? Topic Next Topic: Dealing with non-supportive friends and family
Page: of 2

paulbunyannude

Posted - 07/20/2009 :  11:38:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm just now getting into the nudist movement, and I don't know how to intergrate it into my family life. It's not that I'm embarassed, it's just that I've been pretty private about them seeing me nude, so they were taken aback with me walking around in the nude the other day. Should I be concerned about their feelings on it, or just continue with the intergration of my new found lifestyle? I love the freedom, and I want to continue with it. Help.

Edited by - Admin to relocate and change title from "Family view".

Balto Bob
$ Supporter

Posted - 07/20/2009 :  12:20:26 PM  Show Profile  Visit Balto Bob's Homepage  Reply with Quote
They'll get used to it. Make sure evryone understands they can join you or not.

Bob
Have a nice NUDE day !!

www.flickr.com/photos/isisdc/2560300492/
www.flickr.com/photos/perspective/2560521247/

nakeddan

Posted - 07/20/2009 :  4:34:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree with Bob. They get used to it. Just today, my wife came home early and "caught" me getting some sun nude in the backyard. None of the neighbors can see me, and it was no big deal. She just accepted it as normal. Even though she doesn't want to join me, she is now accepting the fact that I love to be naked. I love to swim naked and sun naked. I've been sleeping nude with her for about 15 years now. I shower and dress with the door open. My kids are older now and they love to be naked also. My wife just feels outnumbered but won't join us. That's fine. Either you are into the freedom and body acceptance, or not. I'm just glad she doesn't mind.

Stay naked!

balataf
Forum Member

Posted - 07/20/2009 :  11:14:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit balataf's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Talk it out. Be honest and straightforward. For most people, that works quite well.

For those who it doesn't work on, there is usually a problem in their own past that THEY have not been able to deal with.

Such a problem is not automatically your problem, tho. And if you continue to be open, respectful and correct, things should work out.

Nudony
Forum Member

Posted - 07/21/2009 :  07:44:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There are several ways of going about it, depending on your family situation. Different methods work for different people. Some people, who are more "action" than "words", opt for the very direct method of just walking out in the open completely nude, and going about their business a usual. Even though that has worked for some people, it is the least recommended method because of the "shock" factor; particularily if nudity has never been placed on the family table.
Some people "insert" it gradually by incorporating it to specific activities. Grooming nude in the bathroom, and walking from the bathroom to the bedroom nude, for example. People with pools find it easy to occasionally jump in the pool nude, ultimately getting to the point where they are always nude in the pool.
Then, at some point, whether early on or later, some communication with the family will have to occur; unless it's going to be a solo activity. When I started going nude at home, initially to and from the bathroom, my wife just naturally followed suite because she was already used to not getting dressed until the last minute in the morning; it was a seamless process with no need for explanation. But a spouse with no nudity in her background may find that difficult, at least initially. Some wives will accept their husband being nude without going nude themselves; sometimes that can be worked on, sometimes not.
Finally, kids can be and added challenge: depending on their age. In my experience, toddlers will usually jump at the opportunity to be nude without much ado. Teens: different story. And a mother who has ever been nude in front of her kids can find the prospect daunting. But, if you can get the kids on "your side", then this provides an incentive and encouragement for the mother to give it a go. My wife was already halfway there; but seeing my daughter and I interracting nude certainly cemented her call to also be nude. If we were in the living room playing nude, my wife would invariably feel compelled to disrobe and jump in whatever activity we were engaged in.
"Feel out" the situation, then communicate as you go. And listen to what everyone has to say.

Edited by - Nudony on 07/21/2009 07:46:03 AM

Balto Bob
$ Supporter

Posted - 07/21/2009 :  08:04:28 AM  Show Profile  Visit Balto Bob's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nakeddan

I agree with Bob. They get used to it. Just today, my wife came home early and "caught" me getting some sun nude in the backyard. None of the neighbors can see me, and it was no big deal. She just accepted it as normal. Even though she doesn't want to join me, she is now accepting the fact that I love to be naked. I love to swim naked and sun naked. I've been sleeping nude with her for about 15 years now. I shower and dress with the door open. My kids are older now and they love to be naked also. My wife just feels outnumbered but won't join us. That's fine. Either you are into the freedom and body acceptance, or not. I'm just glad she doesn't mind.

Stay naked!

Once you get the kids on board the battle is mostly over.

Bob
Have a nice NUDE day !!

www.flickr.com/photos/isisdc/2560300492/
www.flickr.com/photos/perspective/2560521247/

rooftopwilly
Forum Member

Posted - 07/21/2009 :  5:18:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What family are we talking about here? Wife and kids? Parents, brothers & sisters?

I don't go nude in front of my mom, brothers or sisters, but in front of my wife and daughter I do. I've done it since my daughter was a baby so she's used to it (7 now). I also will go naked in front of my wife's sisters because they are French and much more open to the idea. I think I can go naked in front of my mom, since she did raise me after all. She had a slight problem with it when I was a kid and would sleep naked, but as an adult, she knows I do it, I just don't do it in front of her. My brothers & sister are too prudish though.

I would recommend talking it over with them as some others have pointed out already.

NudeAl
Forum Member

Posted - 07/23/2009 :  12:49:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Like the Nike add says just do it. I would try to be aware of other sensibilities but after all they are yor family they will accept you no matter what.

The woods are lovely, dark and deep, But I have promises to keep, And miles to go before I sleep, And miles to go before I sleep. -- Robert Frost

rooftopwilly
Forum Member

Posted - 09/12/2009 :  01:12:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just 2 months ago I said I don't go nude in front of my mom, well it happened. I was in town staying at her house because my aunt (her sister) passed away and I was there for the funeral. I made mention that I forgot to pack any pajamas, because I don't wear any and didn't even think of bringing some shorts. She just made a mention about sleeping in my underwear. So anyhow, that first night, I went to bed, naked of course. I sleep on the fold out couch in the living room. I laid down, then remembered I didn't turn the ringer off of my cell phone, which was plugged in in the kitchen, plus I had to use the bathroom. The kitchen is just a few steps directly from my mom's bedroom door. So I got up, naked and went out to turn the ringer off. As I was doing so, my mom got up to go to the bathroom and walked right out the door, staring directly at me. The bathroom is right there, so she just went in without saying a word. So I just waited there for her to finish and when she came out, I was still standing there. She just said "goodnight" and went back to bed. Never said a word about it the following day either.

Diger
Forum Member

Posted - 09/12/2009 :  09:28:05 AM  Show Profile  Send Diger a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
LOL ... Bet the look on her face was priceless?

Diger

Warmskin
Forum Member

Posted - 09/12/2009 :  10:05:44 PM  Show Profile  Send Warmskin a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nakeddan

I agree with Bob. They get used to it. Just today, my wife came home early and "caught" me getting some sun nude in the backyard. None of the neighbors can see me, and it was no big deal. She just accepted it as normal. Even though she doesn't want to join me, she is now accepting the fact that I love to be naked. I love to swim naked and sun naked. I've been sleeping nude with her for about 15 years now. I shower and dress with the door open. My kids are older now and they love to be naked also. My wife just feels outnumbered but won't join us. That's fine. Either you are into the freedom and body acceptance, or not. I'm just glad she doesn't mind. Stay naked!

As a Libertarian, myself, I think you have the ideal household. Everybody gets his/her way regardless of preference. How fortunate you folks are with your arrangement. Perhaps the wife will want to try being nude some time later. You never know. Sometimes it is easier to join the majority, than to stand out as the only one not participating. Wouldn't be nice if she joined your side at some future time?

"The means of defense against foreign danger historically have become the instruments of tyranny at home."
James Madison

n/a
deleted

Posted - 07/19/2012 :  11:56:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rooftopwilly

Just 2 months ago I said I don't go nude in front of my mom, well it happened. I was in town staying at her house because my aunt (her sister) passed away and I was there for the funeral. I made mention that I forgot to pack any pajamas, because I don't wear any and didn't even think of bringing some shorts. She just made a mention about sleeping in my underwear. So anyhow, that first night, I went to bed, naked of course. I sleep on the fold out couch in the living room. I laid down, then remembered I didn't turn the ringer off of my cell phone, which was plugged in in the kitchen, plus I had to use the bathroom. The kitchen is just a few steps directly from my mom's bedroom door. So I got up, naked and went out to turn the ringer off. As I was doing so, my mom got up to go to the bathroom and walked right out the door, staring directly at me. The bathroom is right there, so she just went in without saying a word. So I just waited there for her to finish and when she came out, I was still standing there. She just said "goodnight" and went back to bed. Never said a word about it the following day either.

I had similar situation with the MIL though just more like in the mornings running into each other but she doesnt enjoy it at all but she tolerated it. I dont find it true anymore to think if you go nude around them more often they will just get used to it and accept it , truth to me is just makes them more against it. And to further support that which I said originally here my MIL in the past few weeks or around a week after I posted this reply finally said my open nudity around her made her highly uncomfortable since it went beyond her original exposure time where she said before that moments of nudity are ok but not being nude for hours in a row. So for her acceptable encounters are like those of walking into the room seeing you changing clothes and seeing you nude etc but to just see someone walk around house nude for more then a moment, offends her.

Edited by - n/a on 08/17/2012 07:31:10 AM

Nude in AK
Forum Member

Posted - 02/01/2014 :  10:31:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
OK folks, help me out here a little. I have enjoyed being nude off an on for many years, just I was a little more secretive about it. Since I have retired and am no longer in a position that I need to watch my "P & Q's" so to speak, I have been nude a LOT more often. However the wife has a completely different take on this and it is getting to her. Unlike me, she will not even get out of bed with out have a t-shirt, a hoodie and sweat pants on. Last summer she did not say much as I worked out side in the nude as much as possible. I would keep shorts close by for the 'chance' that someone might come by. It has gotten to the point that she believes that I need counseling. I have attempted to talk to her about my feelings but for the time being she is closed minded.
Suggestions!

Nudony
Forum Member

Posted - 02/01/2014 :  2:28:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Went through a similar scenario; except I was in the early stages of my relationship as opposed to...later? I'm just assuming here that you have been married for a number of years; that might make your wife's resistance to your nudism...stronger.

I had just graduated from college, was newly married and working 2nd shift. That's when I decided to not wear clothes anymore at home during the day. Her reaction to it went from amused, to annoyed...and sometimes even angry. Sometimes she would make disparaging comments, I guess meant to humiliate me into putting clothes back on. And I almost gave up and put my clothes back on a couple of times. But my need to be nude would ultimately take over and I'd end up naked again. She really wasn't a happy camper about it; and regarded it as deviant behavior.

But there was a slow progression, over time. She started getting used to it. She stopped making hurtful comments. During that same time I started buying nudist books and mags and leaving them lying around. Every so often she'd pick one up and read an article or look at the pictures. Then we started talking about the articles and having conversations about what she liked or didn't like about nudism. At least we got the conversation going. And as we talked about nudism, we also talked about her own feelings about her nudity. "Why did she sleep dressed? Why did she close the doors when she showered or changed?" And the more we discussed it, the more she took under consideration the fact that she really didn't need to sleep dressed, and really didn't need to close doors all the time.

My suggestion number one would be: stick to it! My second suggestion would be to get the conversation going; if it fails the first or second or third time, keep at it (without harassing her of course) while presenting your nudism as a philosophical choice and movement.

blavan
Forum Member

Posted - 02/08/2014 :  11:59:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We have enjoyed the freedom of being naked at home inside since the day we were married. It has always seemed like the natural way to be in the privacy of home. We do not have enough privacy to go naked outside at home. The exception is that we did not raise our child and sometimes, when she stayed with us, our niece nude because we were concerned about what stupid misconceptions from others outside of our home could lead to. He had only seen us nude like when just coming out of the shower occasionally. When our child became an adult and we then began to experience social nudity, we told him we were skinny dippers who went nude whenever we could. He accepted that even though he still is not a nudist.
It just seems puzzling to us that two people who are married and at least somewhat compatible would find it difficult to agree on something as simple and harmless as being naked at home.
Some of our extended family members also know that we go nude when we can. There might be some who will object in your family as there are in ours. When we treat nudity as a normal healthy way to live then other family members are more likely to do so as well.

Being Naked and Being Real

Horace
Forum Member

Posted - 02/10/2014 :  08:14:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Our nudity and family has been an evolution. We were very relaxed and frequently nude in our home as a couple but we lived in the city and had to choose whether to leave the blinds open and see the world or be nude behind closed blinds. So we chose the former for the most part. Camping or in private we enjoyed nudity together. On the arrival of our kids we were nude around them and showers and hot tub time was one great big skinny dip. As they got older. We were all nude less and less. Not sure why, practicality probably. Now that they are adults, I'm returning to nudity at home as a more frequent practice. Our 18 year old daughter, when she catches me just rolls her eyes and tells me to put some clothes on and out of respect for her, I do. When we are at the lake house everyone knows that dad takes his lake baths au naturale. My wife is 1/2 and 1/2. She has no problem being nude around me or around the house when we are home alone, cold weather excepted and we live in northern climes. Recently in our middle age we visited a c/o beach and resort. She jumped right in. Her public nudity fear factor went from 10 to about 5. Mine went from 6 to 0. Honestly. I think most individuals and families are on a continuum. With different thoughts regarding home vs. public, Comfort with family nude vs. participating in family nudity. My son has caught me nude and was amused, but shared that his girlfriend might think it was "creepy". I would characterize my family nudity gauge as comfortable. I have no desire to make family members uncomfortable. If I'm on the deck nude and they want to join me clothed or not, great! If we are all sitting down for dinner and I come to dinner nude, it would be awkward and uncomfortable for them, and by extension, me, so I dress. This evolution is incrementally moving my family towards a naturist leaning philosophy. Which I think is great!

Page: of 2 Previous Topic: Son and Daughter Confused? Topic Next Topic: Dealing with non-supportive friends and family  
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic |   Printer Friendly
Next Page
Jump To:
Nudist-Resorts.Org Discussion Forum Bulletin Board Nudism Clothing Optional Resort Naturism Nude Beaches © 2002-2020 SUN Go To Top Of Page
This page was down to skin in 0.38 seconds.

General Rules and Terms of Service

Membership in the Nudist-Resorts.Org discussion forum is free, can be anonymous, and requires only a working email address. All email links to members are cloaked. You can disable your email link. Nude photos can be posted, if within our posting rules. No erotica, spam or solicitation is allowed here. References to sex or genitals in your username or profile will result in removal from the forum. Information and opinions regarding anything related to nudism are encouraged, including discussions concerning the confusion between nudism and eroticism if discussed maturely. All posts in this forum are moderated. Read our POSTING RULES here and here. All information appearing on this website is copyright and intellectual property of the Society for Understanding Nudism unless otherwise noted. The views expressed on these forums by participants are not necessarily representative of the Society for Understanding Nudism. Administrators reserve the right to delete anything outside the posting rules, or anything in their opinion not appropriate. To post, you must have cookies enabled and be at least 18 years of age.

Email the Webmaster | Legal Information

Copyright © 2002-2015 SUN - Society for Understanding Nudism
All Rights Reserved