Nudist-Resorts.Org - Naturist Discussion Forum / Bulletin Board

Nudist-Resorts.Org - Naturist Discussion Forum / Bulletin Board
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?

About Us | Active Topics | Active Polls | Site News | Nudist News | Online Users | Members | Destinations | N. A. I. R. | My Page | Search
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 422 ]  [ Total: 422 ]  [ Newest Member: dild0 ]
 All Forums
 Education - Promoting the Nudist Lifestyle
 How to educate your non-nudist family members
 Dealing with non-supportive friends and family
Next Page
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic |   Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: Family view regarding nudity around the home Topic Next Topic: Tips for How to Date a Non-Nudist
Page: of 4

calicpl1191
Forum Member

Posted - 06/08/2004 :  3:10:43 PM  Show Profile  Send calicpl1191 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
We are fairly new to nudism, and with the exception of one good friend, have pretty much kept our activities private. We know, however, that it is inevitable that sooner or later, it will leak out about our nudist lifestyle. The trouble with this is that our family and friends would be non-supportive of our decision to become nudists. Actually, they would be firmly, even angrily against it. Especially since we are considering introducing our children to it soon.

Is there an easy way to deal with this problem, or am I being over paranoid?

Thanks in advance...Mr & Mrs Cali....

james423
Forum Member

Posted - 06/14/2004 :  10:08:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You may or may not be paranoid. You know your family & I don't. However, sometimes people will surprise you. My initial reaction would be that my family would have had a strong negative reaction, but I'm beginning to feel differently about that. While my mother & some others would not be thrilled about it, I've seen their reactions to other things (such as non-Catholic and gay family members) be far less antagonistic than I would have suspected. Not that my mother will ever feel completely comfortable with nudism or homosexuality, but she has become more tolerant than we ever thought possible when we were growing up. Family is family & while they each have their own viewpoints (politically, religiously & sexually), they are still family. I wouldn't shout it out loud (& still haven't told my mother), but my family will still love me no matter what I do or say (even if they think I'm a little weird). Hopefully, yours will too.

pilot
Forum Member

Posted - 06/14/2004 :  10:14:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
M/M Cali...

The anticipation is a lot more anxiety-provoking than the actual event. Your strategy of not making a public "announcement" ("Hey folks, guess what?" etc.) is wise.

How the information "leaks out" makes a difference. Perhaps one of your kids will mention it. Who knows. Bear in mind you are making a personal choice, and the less you make of it, the less people around you will make of it. Simply say that you wear clothes when necessary and leave it at that.

While it is possible that some people will be horrified (you said California, right?) most will not care one way or the other.

Do make it a point not to start conversations with co-workers and other casual acquaintances. If they ask, your best strategy is to make honest responses but resist detailed long lines of questioning.

Everyone has a different situation, but the topic came up in our workplace two ways. We told people who needed to know where we were going --Club Orient-- and someone bothered to look it up on the web. When we came came back, we mentioned that we vacationed on St. Martin, were asked about whether we visited Orient Beach, and further asked whether we visited the nude section. Yes and yes. End of conversation. As for our extended family, we have a pool that is secluded and cannot be seen from the neighbors, road etc. A family member once mentioned that it seemed like a great place for skinny-dipping. We responded that we only bother with swimsuits if others are around. End of conversation.

Truly, fewer care than you might think.

Kimberly
Forum Member

Posted - 06/15/2004 :  03:08:17 AM  Show Profile  Send Kimberly a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Very good response pilot. While my parents were not pleased that my hubby and I became nudists, they have never came out and criticised us. Their main concern was what we were doing was safe. We have not flaunted our nudity, or broadcasted it, and are not nude around other family members, so it is more or less a private afair. They see that we are happy and comfortable in what we are doing, so they accept it.

Kim =^.^=

calicpl1191
Forum Member

Posted - 06/15/2004 :  08:39:15 AM  Show Profile  Send calicpl1191 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, I can understand that they may not be too concerned about what the wife and I do, but we are more concerned that they would hit the roof if they knew we are involving the kids. The last thing we need is to have someone call social services on us under the false belief that we are involving the kids in some kind of wierd sex party. Yes, yes....we all know that isn't what happens at the family nudist resorts, but try to explain that to a closed minded person (friend or family member) who has never been there to experience it first hand.

Any thoughts?

pilot
Forum Member

Posted - 06/15/2004 :  10:06:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Calicpl...

The important thing is that you take and keep the "moral high ground".

1. What you do in your home, as a family, with your kids is your business. If the kids choose to wear long shirts--or even stay fully clothed--support their decision. Respect their comfort zone and ensure that their decisions are truly theirs, and not your projections. This should not dissuade you from choosing to be nude, however.

2. Think carefully about how you choose your first socially nude situation. If you do choose to attend a nude resort/club, make sure that it is family oriented. There is an "open house weekend" coming up--look for information at the AANR website--so you can check out the situation before you bring your kids. Fortunately, there are many AANR affiliate landed clubs in California. depending on your location, you may have a greater/lesser choice. Signficant numbers of happy kids on site tends to mean significant numbers of watchful adults. But if a place doesn't feel "right" for whatever reason, stay away.

3. If it makes your kids uncomfortable, don't. Young kids tend to have tremendous respect for mom and dad, and feel a safety zone with them. There are times to push shy kids to take risks in life--this is not one of those times.

calmnude
Forum Member

Posted - 06/27/2004 :  10:51:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
well stated pilot.

1. if you are only thinking of nude getaways for yourself, there are several in california, mexico and hawaii which are geared more towards grown-ups. and i am talking couples, not swingers.

2. children need things to keep them occupied. resorts/clubs with a lot of activities for them have a higher acceptance level by the younger set. not wanting to go is a result of not having anything to do, rather than objecting to being clothes free.

EXCEPTION: some children going through puberty are reluctant to go because of their biological changes and hormones. there are other threads which discuss this at length.

depending on the resort/club, some are bettter suited for children than others. as pilot in his wisdom suggests, go on some "field trips" to find the group that you fit in with best.

this may take a while. you just have to be patient.

and as far as telling your family, play it by ear.

good luck.

tucsonnude
Forum Member

Posted - 06/29/2004 :  1:40:42 PM  Show Profile  Click to see tucsonnude's MSN Messenger address  Send tucsonnude a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
My parents were clothes compulsive as I mentioned in an earlier post to another "nudist" I sure agree with everyone who posted. While married we got into a nudist group and mentioned it to my folks. My mom was a bit taken aback but my dad was pretty good with it. Nothing was really said negatively about it from then on. It is well known in studies that kids are better adjusted or at least not harmed by nudity. I don't broadcast my love of nudism to co workers etc. Just being selfish I guess..best to you and have lots of fun

Young_nakedman
Forum Member

Posted - 07/09/2004 :  8:28:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ha you people are lucky.....try having parents that constantly watch the all preaching channel all day, and believe in puritanical Christianism. I told them and all I got is "I hope I see you in heaven for what your doing." The bible says this this and this......So it seems that I am a condemned, disowned nudist.

It may sound like a horse,but it may be a zebra, so don't judge.

Edited by - Young_nakedman on 07/12/2004 09:42:18 AM

STRETCH
Forum Member

Posted - 10/11/2004 :  10:13:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
To the calicpl 1191 - Even being new to this and understand what THE government could do about what can be perceived as possible child endangerment (all because of a few low-lifes), may be one reason I've waited until now in attempting to persue being a naturlist. There may have been others who have or is feeling the same.

FireProf
Forum Member

Posted - 10/12/2004 :  01:36:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
calicpl,

We sent you a PM.

STRETCH
Forum Member

Posted - 10/12/2004 :  08:55:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Calicpl1191 I also sent you a p.m. Have a bare day

papo826

Posted - 11/05/2004 :  12:30:48 PM  Show Profile  Send papo826 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
My wife, daughter and I had been nudist for a number of years. I started a new job in San Diego. Whilst showering, following heavy exercise, several of my fellow recruits noted my "over-all" tan. One jokingly asked me if I was a nudist. I told him I was. He and several others were surprised and began asking questions. I didn't make announcements or statements or a big deal about it, only responded. Everyone in my class accepted, some with envy, my lifestyle. Never made a big deal of it and never had any problems either. My job was what I did, not what I was. But I am and will remain a nudist.

Melvin D. Stanley

The Geek
Forum Member

Posted - 06/24/2005 :  4:52:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have always kept my home nudity private, but I think it's inevitable that friends or family are going to walk in and discover me nude. Any suggestions for handling the situation. If this is more appropriate for another thread let
me know.

Cheri
Forum Member

Posted - 06/24/2005 :  10:21:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You can alert those who have a habbit of walking into your home without ringing a bell or knocking at the door that they may find you sans clothing as you find it more comfortable.

Regards, Cheri

Doing what I can to positively promote nudism
-
-

Edited by - Cheri on 06/25/2005 6:09:01 PM

The Geek
Forum Member

Posted - 06/25/2005 :  2:10:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Cheri

I have a couple of friends that I think will handle the news well. Mamaw and Papaw are another matter. I don't think they can ever know.

Calmnude had good advice though, just play it by ear.

Page: of 4 Previous Topic: Family view regarding nudity around the home Topic Next Topic: Tips for How to Date a Non-Nudist  
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic |   Printer Friendly
Next Page
Jump To:
Nudist-Resorts.Org Discussion Forum Bulletin Board Nudism Clothing Optional Resort Naturism Nude Beaches © 2002-2020 SUN Go To Top Of Page
This page was down to skin in 0.2 seconds.

General Rules and Terms of Service

Membership in the Nudist-Resorts.Org discussion forum is free, can be anonymous, and requires only a working email address. All email links to members are cloaked. You can disable your email link. Nude photos can be posted, if within our posting rules. No erotica, spam or solicitation is allowed here. References to sex or genitals in your username or profile will result in removal from the forum. Information and opinions regarding anything related to nudism are encouraged, including discussions concerning the confusion between nudism and eroticism if discussed maturely. All posts in this forum are moderated. Read our POSTING RULES here and here. All information appearing on this website is copyright and intellectual property of the Society for Understanding Nudism unless otherwise noted. The views expressed on these forums by participants are not necessarily representative of the Society for Understanding Nudism. Administrators reserve the right to delete anything outside the posting rules, or anything in their opinion not appropriate. To post, you must have cookies enabled and be at least 18 years of age.

Email the Webmaster | Legal Information

Copyright © 2002-2015 SUN - Society for Understanding Nudism
All Rights Reserved