Nudist-Resorts.Org - Naturist Discussion Forum / Bulletin Board

Nudist-Resorts.Org - Naturist Discussion Forum / Bulletin Board
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?

About Us | Active Topics | Active Polls | Site News | Nudist News | Online Users | Members | Destinations | N. A. I. R. | My Page | Search
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 171 ]  [ Total: 171 ]  [ Newest Member: dild0 ]
 All Forums
 General Discussion - Everything Else
 General discussion. Post anything off-topic here.
 Nudist Upbringing
Next Page
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic |   Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: President-Elect Barack Obama Topic Next Topic: Dining out in the nude
Page: of 2

smoothcrunch
Forum Member

Posted - 09/26/2008 :  9:00:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Where you brought up in a nudist family. I did and I am so glad. I remember long hot summers when I would hardly wear a stitch all of the long school holidays. I was about 9 before mum and dad got a bit more forceful about having to wear something in the garden or on the textile beach. Indoors, as a family, we would all go bare, but visitors were a mix of other nudists, textiles who knew my parents were nudists, others who knew but were unhappy about them being bare and the occasional person they hadn't told. Never could tell who would be wearing what. Kids would be nude, dad might be in jeans and shirt while mum might be in just a teeshirt serving tee to Uncle Ian and Aunt Jeanette who would be starkers showing off their tan from the Balearics and passing round the holiday snaps.

I was so used to not wearing clothes, I still avoid underwear when I can. I tend to swan around naked with a dressing gown ready if I get visitors. The neighbours are OK about being able to see me and are used to most of my visitors getting down to their skin when visitng.

If mum comes round, she joins me and if my mate Mel comes round for the weekend, it's a two day naked girly party. She is not in the slightest bit fazed by being seen naked by anyone and is not adverse to waltzing her big wobbly bare arse into the room when textile work colleagues have just popped in.

Naked when I can

rooftopwilly
Forum Member

Posted - 09/27/2008 :  12:29:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
not at all. i believe i'm the ONLY person in my family who is a nudist. my mom used to "catch" me sleeping naked and tell me to stop. but i never did.

i'm trying to raise my daughter as a nudist though.

smoothcrunch
Forum Member

Posted - 09/27/2008 :  05:49:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good for you willy,

Give her plenty of space and let her see she can relax unclad. Make it clear to her that no matter what the wider world might think about her not wanting to wear clothes, what she is doing is natural and not at all wrong.

She might want to cover up when she is going through puberty, and let her do so if she feels strongly about it, but she should be encouraged to celebrate the changes in her body as she moves towards womanhood. My mum used to talk about changes to my shape, how hair was growing, changes in my genitalia and awakening desires in me, comparing them to her own experiences and her own body (much easier to do if you can be both naked and can point, touch, contrast and compare). Not so easy for you personally, maybe (not clear if you have a wife/partner) but you should be able to make her feel comfortable about herself.

Naked when I can

inudist
Forum Member

Posted - 09/27/2008 :  5:49:07 PM  Show Profile  Visit inudist's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I was not raised in a nudist environment either and am somewhat envious of those who were. I discovered nudism on my own and have not shared this with very many people at all. It would be great to have a wide support network of similar thinking relatives and friends, but for the most part this is something I keep to myself.

inudist

jerseysomething
Forum Member

Posted - 10/01/2008 :  07:39:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think it can be challenging to do this, especially in the U.S. where people tend to be very uptight about nudity. Freckles, it sounds like you are in a good "place" in your life right now. Make the most of it... for yourself, and for your daughters.

agde
Forum Member

Posted - 10/01/2008 :  11:56:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Freckles
...I think bringing up my daughters to be proud of their bodies and not feel the need to bow to peer pressure and cover up has made them much more confident, independent people.

Raising kids to be comfortable with how bodies work, are kept healthy and change over time is one of the ten "life basics" parents transmit to children -- along with how to know right and wrong, how to think ahead in order to avoid harm and accidents, how to think about and solve a problem, how to treat others and respond to those who treat you less well, how to learn by asking questions and learn from mistakes, how to focus on what is important as opposed to merely desired, how to manage time and tasks, how to know true from false and always be truthful but with grace, and how to work to attain and then know how to share. But it all has to start from a clear sense of unadorned naked real self -- just body and mind -- facing life's possibilities and choices. It's not hard to understand why naturist kids end up "much more confident, independent people" -- they aren't handicapped by being raised by parents who hid certain giggly stuff from them.

Edited by - agde on 10/01/2008 11:58:57 AM

thornapplebison
Forum Member

Posted - 10/07/2008 :  3:00:44 PM  Show Profile  Send thornapplebison a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Freckles, you should go ahead and insist that she wear her panties. Also, it's important to teach children that there's a time and a place for everything. Self-exploration should be kept to the bathtub or her room. I know you don't want to encroach upon her innocence with knowledge of the predatory world, but you need to do so for her own good.

thornapplebison
Forum Member

Posted - 10/07/2008 :  3:03:10 PM  Show Profile  Send thornapplebison a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Also, well-played in the pool situation. Subtly is always the best way to go, if possible.

I hope you don't enjoy being your children's friend to such a degree that you deny them the safety and structure of growing up with a mother.

agde
Forum Member

Posted - 10/08/2008 :  02:04:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Having grown up with a gaggle of naturist girl cousins, etc, I think, thornapplebison, that you may be being a bit overly prescriptive. Kids just need to learn what clothing goes with what situation, and have outfilts that correspond to varying formality. It harmonizes very well with what behaviour is expected in various situations. The more you are dealing with strangers, the more circumspection and formality is appropriate.

Clearly, that is exactly what Freckles is teaching her girls, whether dealing with shop clerks, windy streets or school attire. With a perceptive mother, naturist girls quickly learn to deal with sexuality issues, but as a separate issue from nudity per se. They learn to how cope in each context and are stronger and safer for it.

On backyard pools, my mom had a kind of cheerfully open standard talk upfront with my textile guy-friends who were joining us for the first time in our clothes-free backyard pool -- normal behavior rules apply! And she "recruited" us naturist kids to be both role models and "mentors".for any newbies. Curiosity is normal if you aren't used to nudity, but without exception, once my friends knew the rules (even during the raging teen hormone years), they quickly adapted. As a parent, I borrowed her approach and have found that the joyful kid-side of teens always triumphs over any purient interest or prior mis-education.

Freckles, for the boys in your daughters' lives too, it is a vauable learning experience to have a first-hand encounter with naturist principles of behavior and respect. I've found that kids from non-nudist families really appreciate meeting a naturist parent who is open, aware of "conflicting" feelings, and happy to chat about it. Parents of naturist children tend to have a profound and positive parental impact on more than their own children.

Edited by - agde on 10/08/2008 02:16:48 AM

agde
Forum Member

Posted - 10/08/2008 :  1:54:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Freckles,

it sounds like you are doing a great job responding at a key point in your daughter's life! At school, appropriate clothes include undergarments. Dulcie is just learning the catalogue of places/activities and the associated dress codes, so being clear is really helpful. Meantime, one of my nieces similarly went through a "minnie" phase, her mom also realized it was a perfect time to begin discussing sexuality, and we kind of all (both genders) participated in reinforcing various messages -- being careful to know what her mom was saying, to treat sex as a non-taboo subject that one deals with whether clothed or not, and, without demonizing boys, to explain gender differences in feelings and consequences. It's a special transition time for young women when the healthy balance between body awareness, gender ideals, peer interactions and social customs gets set in place for all kinds of future challenges and choices.

For those of us who have survived our kids' teen years, all we really can advise is to enjoy the ride! Anyway, kids always emerge better for having naturist parents! As a parent, it's just nice to be able to discuss with other naturist parents if something comes up...

Edited by - agde on 10/08/2008 2:41:55 PM

nudegator

Posted - 10/12/2008 :  12:08:30 AM  Show Profile  Send nudegator a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I wasnt growing up but once i got married my inlaws where talking about seeing then nude but over time got more comfey being nude around then

nudegator

thornapplebison
Forum Member

Posted - 10/12/2008 :  01:54:19 AM  Show Profile  Send thornapplebison a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I could point to a few phrases here and there...the over-all tone...But this thread is really starting to creep me out. Anyone feel that?

Freckles
Forum Member

Posted - 10/14/2008 :  4:12:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Never meant to offend anyone's delicate sensibilities, so I have pulled my posts. Just thought people were interested in my kids. Won't bother again.

Bye.

agde
Forum Member

Posted - 10/14/2008 :  5:28:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You guys owe Sandra (Freckles) an apology.

rooftopwilly
Forum Member

Posted - 10/14/2008 :  8:51:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
freckles, if you are still there, it was only 2 people who made comments. don't let that get to you. a lot of us enjoyed reading how you were bringing your kids up to be comfortable with it. I'm trying to bring my six year old up that way as well.

Freckles
Forum Member

Posted - 10/15/2008 :  12:28:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks guys,

I'm still here. It won't change the way I bring up my kids but I won't be posting anything about it here. Willy & Agde (or anyone else)- I'm quite happy to chat about these things by PM if you are interested.

Freckles

Page: of 2 Previous Topic: President-Elect Barack Obama Topic Next Topic: Dining out in the nude  
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic |   Printer Friendly
Next Page
Jump To:
Nudist-Resorts.Org Discussion Forum Bulletin Board Nudism Clothing Optional Resort Naturism Nude Beaches © 2002-2020 SUN Go To Top Of Page
This page was down to skin in 0.4 seconds.

General Rules and Terms of Service

Membership in the Nudist-Resorts.Org discussion forum is free, can be anonymous, and requires only a working email address. All email links to members are cloaked. You can disable your email link. Nude photos can be posted, if within our posting rules. No erotica, spam or solicitation is allowed here. References to sex or genitals in your username or profile will result in removal from the forum. Information and opinions regarding anything related to nudism are encouraged, including discussions concerning the confusion between nudism and eroticism if discussed maturely. All posts in this forum are moderated. Read our POSTING RULES here and here. All information appearing on this website is copyright and intellectual property of the Society for Understanding Nudism unless otherwise noted. The views expressed on these forums by participants are not necessarily representative of the Society for Understanding Nudism. Administrators reserve the right to delete anything outside the posting rules, or anything in their opinion not appropriate. To post, you must have cookies enabled and be at least 18 years of age.

Email the Webmaster | Legal Information

Copyright © 2002-2015 SUN - Society for Understanding Nudism
All Rights Reserved