Nudist-Resorts.Org - Naturist Discussion Forum / Bulletin Board

Nudist-Resorts.Org - Naturist Discussion Forum / Bulletin Board
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?

About Us | Active Topics | Active Polls | Site News | Nudist News | Online Users | Members | Destinations | N. A. I. R. | My Page | Search
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 127 ]  [ Total: 127 ]  [ Newest Member: dild0 ]
 All Forums
 Nude Beaches and Public Lands / Nudism Places
 Wilderness Destinations and Trip Reports
 Finding Nude beaches in the National Forests
Next Page
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic |   Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: Where to go hiking nude in desert Topic Next Topic: Back at Secret Cove Again
Page: of 2

Warmskin
Forum Member

Posted - 12/30/2007 :  5:25:07 PM  Show Profile  Send Warmskin a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I hope this entry is appropriate. This probably won't apply in all cases, but in National Forests, it is perfectly legal to be nude, most anywhere that is not next to crowded places. If you have a small group who want to get together for nude recreation, there are many places along rivers or creeks where you can be nude.

I believe the Forest Service rangers prefer that you post a sign nearby, so as to warn others who might be coming along. If you have many people going to such a place, you might be well advised to check in with the Forest Service to let them know. If this is for overnight or longer, you need to get a fire permit.

Needless to say some forests are bone dry in the summer, so be careful where you place your campfires. On some days you will not be allowed make fires if it gets too hot and dry.

Overall, you can simply make your own little nudist camp with no problem. You may have to explore around a little to find a suitable place, and maybe you'd like to be near a nice pool of water that has some sand or soft clean grass.

If you have an doubts about what to do in the forest, read up on safety, and ask a forest ranger if you don't know all the safety tips about being a national forest.

Personally, I have walked naked along the side of a creek for several miles. Very enjoyable!

That government governs best, which governs least - Thomas Jefferson

Cheri
Forum Member

Posted - 12/30/2007 :  11:56:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It is NOT perfectly legal to go nude in the US National Forests. That was an early topic on these forums that even a lawyer rang in with.

Cheri

Doing what I can to positively promote nudism
-
-

Warmskin
Forum Member

Posted - 01/02/2008 :  9:53:55 PM  Show Profile  Send Warmskin a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote

I made a boo-boo!!!!

Thanks for your correction, Cheri.

I might have not obtained my misinformation from the best of all sources.

There may be some leeway, depending on the situation; some rangers are sticklers and some are cool about things. Thanks to Cheri, we now know that discretion can be voided. Where I have been, it is next to impossible to find a ranger. I have spend a lot of years in the forests, and in those parts where I have been, the rangers mainly frequent the campground areas. In the west, campers have a nasty habit of starting forest fires, e.g., the horrible ones near San Diego, and elshewhere.

The Forest Service offices have been under budget constraints, and that has been the case where I live. Assuming that to be true, the priorities have been more toward camper abuses,undergrowth control, as opposed to other problems that include skinny-dippers in remote areas. I hasten to add that that does not change the regulations that Cheri brings up.

So, with that said, use your best judgment, and don't spend the summer fighting legal problems. I was seen once skinnydipping, but the ranger was much more concerned about if I had seen any campers in a now-closed campground. It may be like speeding on a highway; if the state trooper is loaded with other dispatches, he may consider you to be a low priority relative to other things going on nearby. However, that would be taking a chance!!! The same goes with nudity in the National Forest. Know the laws!!

Thanks again, Cheri

TravelingMountainNudist
Forum Member

Posted - 01/02/2008 :  11:10:15 PM  Show Profile  Send TravelingMountainNudist an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I too have camped nude in a number of National Forests in Maryland and New Mexico and I generally find that if you use a little common sense and respect the other park goers than the rangers leave you alone. Particulary in New Mexico. Note, most of the hot srpings in New Mexico are on BLM land and its understood that they are clothing optional for those who are in or visiting that region.

Andrew

CAPTAIN_JAMES
Forum Member

Posted - 02/06/2008 :  1:07:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Cheri it has always been my understanding that there is NO federal law prohibiting nudity on Federal land. But with that said, several local jurisdictions, especially in Florida have going onto Federal land (beaches) and charging nudist with local anti-nudity laws. So I guess Forest Service rangers can't or won't arrest you for nudity, but don't be seen by the local cops.

Cheri
Forum Member

Posted - 02/06/2008 :  4:44:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CAPTAIN_JAMES

Cheri it has always been my understanding that there is NO federal law prohibiting nudity on Federal land. But with that said, several local jurisdictions, especially in Florida have going onto Federal land (beaches) and charging nudist with local anti-nudity laws. So I guess Forest Service rangers can't or won't arrest you for nudity, but don't be seen by the local cops.

James, Your understanding is very much incorrect. As I mentioned previously, please do a search on these forums for "federal" to see what you come up with. It may be archived since it was so long ago.
Cheri

-
-

CAPTAIN_JAMES
Forum Member

Posted - 02/06/2008 :  11:24:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Cheri, a Google search can provide other opinions on this subject.

"Federal Land and California State Parks
Federal Land
There is no Federal law against nudity but neither is it a guaranteed right. This means that state, county and local laws can take precedence."
http://gocalifornia.about.com/cs/clothingoptional/a/nudebeachfedst.htm

"Laws about Nudism:

United States:
bullet Federal law: No federal US federal law that either allows or prohibits nudity. The courts have not ruled whether the right to engage in naturism is guaranteed by the Constitution under its freedom of expression provision. Thus, the legality of various forms of undress is currently left up to the individual states and localities to decide. Nudity is generally allowed in some areas of some national parks, unless local laws have overriding jurisdiction." et/al
http://www.religioustolerance.org/nudism1.htm

Cheri
Forum Member

Posted - 02/07/2008 :  10:44:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
http://www.nudist-resorts.org/talk/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=28&SearchTerms=public,laws

Is where you find some information of interest regarding federal laws and nudity. Three pages of interesting reading. Thanks to our Administrator for finding it for me.

:) Cheri

-
-

Warmskin
Forum Member

Posted - 08/19/2008 :  01:48:43 AM  Show Profile  Send Warmskin a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I believe that there might be two concepts here. One is the theoretical law, and the other is the practicle application. The federal law was never designed to micro-manage the people, although that has unfortunately changed.

As touching on national forests, I have rarely ever seen a county or state official conducting business away from the main roads. It is more likely that you would encounter a forest ranger. I think I mentioned this in a previous post, but the US Forest Service has a slim budget, so they have to choose from a somewhat more narrow list of concerns.

I honestly don't know if forest rangers enforce local ordinances or not. If they do not, then they would seem less likely to haul in naturists to the authorities. In Calfornia, they have all they can do to keep the campgrounds orderly, help prevent fires, and all the like.

Common sense might tell us that if you want to be a naturist in the forest, be so away from the main roads and official campgrounds. With many, many thousands of acres of secluded forest around, I would practice naturism there. Again, it comes down to common sense. Interesting though the debate on nudity laws might be, it all comes down to local application of laws, or the absence of enforcement of laws.

If you go by the odds of never being confronted by the law regarding nudity, you would probably be safe if you parachuted into the Sierra Nevada, and did so randomly, you most likely could be nude there and never be found out, or ever be discovered by anyone at all. Just don't parachute into the Sierra in the nude. Ouch!!!

My main point is -- use your head, wherever you are.

sailawaybob
Forum Member

Posted - 09/16/2008 :  10:23:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Today I went boating on the Chattahoochee river in metro Atlanta, Over the past few years I have talked to numerous NPS rangers who stated that there budgets were thin, now the state is also cutting back, this doesn't mean not being discreet but this could be the only positive of budget cuts. I was able to fish nude and was within hearing distance of a house being built and around the bend from a highway bridge. Warmskin is right use your head and also plan ahead. And yes a good quote of T.Jefferson, wasn't he a nudist..

sailawaybob
Forum Member

Posted - 09/16/2008 :  10:32:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I also want to add that alot of post I read are from nudist who may want something different than going to a nudist resort, I participated in organized nudism for years, i got tired of the close gate syndrome and fees.If we look around, this country is over abundant with open space and yes I know it is against the law to be nude in public, but being in the middle of nowhere isn't in public. There is nothing greater than being in nature and being nude, there are places to enjoy nudism if you are discreet and plan ahead.

inudist
Forum Member

Posted - 09/17/2008 :  08:16:40 AM  Show Profile  Visit inudist's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sailawaybob

If we look around, this country is over abundant with open space and yes I know it is against the law to be nude in public, but being in the middle of nowhere isn't in public. There is nothing greater than being in nature and being nude, there are places to enjoy nudism if you are discreet and plan ahead.

I couldn't agree more. If you plan ahead and can be reasonablity discreet, there are thousands of square miles of uninhabited or rarely traveled public areas of wilderness to be nude in. Just know the area, and get permission before going on private land.

inudist

Diger
Forum Member

Posted - 09/17/2008 :  11:39:10 AM  Show Profile  Send Diger a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sailawaybob

Today I went boating on the Chattahoochee river in metro Atlanta, Over the past few years I have talked to numerous NPS rangers who stated that there budgets were thin, now the state is also cutting back, this doesn't mean not being discreet but this could be the only positive of budget cuts. I was able to fish nude and was within hearing distance of a house being built and around the bend from a highway bridge. Warmskin is right use your head and also plan ahead. And yes a good quote of T.Jefferson, wasn't he a nudist..

Sorry for getting off topic.

Bob how is the water level in Lake Lanier and the Chattahoochee. We have heard Atlanta is running out of water. Did the hurricanes help any?

Diger

sailawaybob
Forum Member

Posted - 09/17/2008 :  10:45:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Diger the other day when I went out the water was flowing good, the water level varies, I can go some distance and look down (you would be surprised the water north of Atlanta is pretty clear, it can be 6-8 foot deep at least, go a little father and wade knee deep, go a short distance and be ankle deep and you need to get out and push the boat. They use to dredge some parts but haven't seen any dredge so far, going in the morning and plan to go father up the river and float down. As for lake lanier it has come up quite a bit because the corp has slowed down on releasing it through the dam, we went up earlier this summer and one marina was out of the water.

guycass
Forum Member

Posted - 05/27/2011 :  02:04:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hello i havent been on this site in a while, was just wondering if there are any known nudist areas in the stockton california area, pine crest california , santa barbara area, or with in an hours drive.

ddoger
Forum Member

Posted - 05/27/2011 :  03:06:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Leguna Del Sol is just south of Sacramento. I'm from Canada but if my calculations are correct that would put it near Stockton.

fwiw

Page: of 2 Previous Topic: Where to go hiking nude in desert Topic Next Topic: Back at Secret Cove Again  
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic |   Printer Friendly
Next Page
Jump To:
Nudist-Resorts.Org Discussion Forum Bulletin Board Nudism Clothing Optional Resort Naturism Nude Beaches © 2002-2020 SUN Go To Top Of Page
This page was down to skin in 0.31 seconds.

General Rules and Terms of Service

Membership in the Nudist-Resorts.Org discussion forum is free, can be anonymous, and requires only a working email address. All email links to members are cloaked. You can disable your email link. Nude photos can be posted, if within our posting rules. No erotica, spam or solicitation is allowed here. References to sex or genitals in your username or profile will result in removal from the forum. Information and opinions regarding anything related to nudism are encouraged, including discussions concerning the confusion between nudism and eroticism if discussed maturely. All posts in this forum are moderated. Read our POSTING RULES here and here. All information appearing on this website is copyright and intellectual property of the Society for Understanding Nudism unless otherwise noted. The views expressed on these forums by participants are not necessarily representative of the Society for Understanding Nudism. Administrators reserve the right to delete anything outside the posting rules, or anything in their opinion not appropriate. To post, you must have cookies enabled and be at least 18 years of age.

Email the Webmaster | Legal Information

Copyright © 2002-2015 SUN - Society for Understanding Nudism
All Rights Reserved