Nudist-Resorts.Org - Naturist Discussion Forum / Bulletin Board

Nudist-Resorts.Org - Naturist Discussion Forum / Bulletin Board
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?

About Us | Active Topics | Active Polls | Site News | Nudist News | Online Users | Members | Destinations | N. A. I. R. | My Page | Search
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 177 ]  [ Total: 177 ]  [ Newest Member: dild0 ]
 All Forums
 Education - Promoting the Nudist Lifestyle
 Educating the public about nudism
 Broaching the subject of nudism with friends
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic |   Printer Friendly
Author Topic Next Topic: Nudism and educating the public - best method?
Page: of 6

Diger
Forum Member

Posted - 06/09/2010 :  11:33:46 PM  Show Profile  Send Diger a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Guess sister inlaw's gossip method worked out just fine .... LOL

Diger

FireProf
Forum Member

Posted - 06/10/2010 :  12:53:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Most people we know...know. Sometimes some simple joking around about being naked will generate conversation my way and then some will poke fun about us being nudists but it usually turns semi serious with questions about nudism and the places we visit.

Just the other day, I was playing golf with friends. After the round, we wound up at one guys house. His wife and he are planning a getaway for about 4 days and nights to Palm Springs. I was wearing my Terra Cotta Inn visor and told them...."this is where you ought to stay!" The conversation went very well and they just might try it out.

Funny...he says to her..."maybe we should try that." She replied..."you're the one that is having trouble with it...not me!" Looks like she might be calling his bluff!

free2tannude
Forum Member

Posted - 07/04/2010 :  1:15:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

When you go to a resort , buy a T-Shirt eg. Some one must sell T-shirts at resorts and nude beaches

A T-shirt that says 'Orient Beach' or 'Wreck Beach'

Wear it and just wait for a response!

Parrotile
Forum Member

Posted - 07/05/2010 :  05:32:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We have the advantage of both being from a European background, so we have the (very convenient) excuse that "this was quite common back home!", especially for the Mrs since she used to holiday regularly in Croatia (rather justifiably famous for the Naturist lifestyle). Also our interests and hobbies are very compatible with a minimal clothing lifestyle (travelling light, back-packing in the Aussie summertime), and so it's generally accepted by everyone that we're fairly committed Naturists. HOWEVER past experience has indicated that Naturism, like Religious beliefs - is best not debated vigorously, so our attitude is "if you feel like giving it a go, you might like it". It's a sad fact of life that the majority will never quite let go of the bikini strings (or should that be string bikini strings), even in places where they could easily do so - just demonstrates how difficult it is to shift indoctrinated ideas!

Phil & Timea S.

Edited by - Parrotile on 07/05/2010 05:34:45 AM

mariarose
Forum Member

Posted - 07/05/2010 :  06:59:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
But Phil, How do you and Timea broach the subject in the first place? How do you get to the point where you can say, "This is common back home?" Like the original poster, I'd love some pointers on how or when to bring the subject up without bringing in resorts and beaches, which I have limited access to. It would be enjoyable to me to share social nudity with like-minded folks, but how to meet them here in the somewhat conservative, resistant to any kind of new idea, area I live in?

Parrotile
Forum Member

Posted - 07/05/2010 :  8:13:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Mariarose!

As you say, can be a bit of a problem - possibly not the best thing to bring up if you are entertaining the more "Mainstream" population!. A previous poster suggested that the Aussie mentality was a bit "Black or White" - i.e., quite "pro", or definitely "anti". On tha basis of our (and we must stress only our) experience this generalisation does not pan out - MANY (i.e the majority) of people we both work with are quite comfortable being naked, and whilst not exactly itching to "bare it all" to the entire population, they are not reluctant to discuss the advantages, even with those who are "less committed"!

Possibly Aussies have a less rigid sense of "rules" - we have a bit of a reputation as the "Wild Child" country - and we both worh in Healthcare (Primary care (Timea), and Tertiary care (Phil)), so for us naked bodies, and body parts, are part of the territory. In addition, people here are not squeezed into small apartments with nosey neighbours - most of my colleagues have, or have easy access to, backyard pools, and in the warmer months those who have pools all most definitely swim naked - and if they swim naked, you can definitely bet they spend a LOT of time naked, ergo, they are naturists - although mostly the "closet" variety (i.e. they don't go to naturist or C/O venues or holiday camps (unlike us "harder core" Naturists, who go nowhere else!!)

For us (again), broaching the "delicate subject" tends to be via enquiries as to where we (or they) take their holidays - and as others have mentioned if there's a local C/O beach or facility, we ask whether they gave it a go. Alternatively a very safe approach is to mention that "we have friends who are very into Naturism" , and we are surprised just how much they save on water and energy costs not having to worry about clothing! This usually opens up a bit of a discussion, and is very non-confrontational.

As an aside, and a bit off-topic - possibly NOT a good way to broach the subject with total strangers is what happened to Phil this a.m. - we're having a spell of warmer (and sunnier) weather, so Phil's hanging our the washing at the bottom of the garden - not wearing a lot (OK, not wearing ANYTHING), and unknown to us the Neighbours have some builders in to fix their roof. First thing Phil hears is a voice commenting on his rather good suntan, and it's DEFINITELY not our neighbours - however the "conversation" was remarkably pro-Naturist, with the builder admitting to more than an occasional nude sunbathe during lunchbreaks. Maybe another example of another "Closet Naturist" - to paraphrase the "X-Files" - "They're out there, somewhere" - seemingly everywhere!

Phil & Timea S.

Bill Bowser
Forum Member

Posted - 07/05/2010 :  11:32:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sometimes it is relatively easy to broach the subject with a friend or acquaintance. Since I spend so much time in the sun, without sunscreen, I usually have a dark tan. Many people comment on it. I often tell them that I'm a nudist and spend a lot of time working on my tan. This usually triggers some additional conversation. Sometimes I wear a shirt that has our local club name and logo on it. Some people then ask about it. During warm weather when others are expressing their discomfort you can remind them that being nude would be more comfortable. There are probably many other ways for the imaginative conversationalist to inject the subject of naturism into a discussion.

I think it is best to arouse someone's curiosity to the point that they ask a question which leads to the topic of naturism. It doesn't often work very well to just say, "Guess what, I'm a nudist."

Bill Bowser - Cincinnati

Nudists are everywhere, but they're hard to identify with their clothes on.

Warmskin
Forum Member

Posted - 07/06/2010 :  03:04:28 AM  Show Profile  Send Warmskin a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I told my friend that I decided to do something wild and crazy to change my very boring life. That was that I went to a nudist resort nearby. He laughed but otherwise took it okay. He asks ne now and then if I'm going back. I'm not the type to come right out and say I went to a nudist resort, so I make up a credible story about going to one -- to get me out of my duldrums.

I told him that it worked wonderfully. He is the only friend who I told. The others will never know. They'd be shocked if they knew, and I don't want to be responsible for them having a coronary!

"If tyranny and oppression come to this land, it will be in the guise of fighting a foreign enemy."

James Madison

capecodjack
Forum Member

Posted - 07/06/2010 :  11:19:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a wonderful intro into the subject. The local club on Cape Cod regularly runs ads in the local paper for "open houses" and the past year and today to participate in breaking the "Skinny Dip Record". This year it falls on my wife's birthday (3pm 7/10). She will participate as a first timer. As the day comes closer I have my fingers crossed.
Wish me luck. The added advantage is the local club has a brand new 20 by 60 pool. Check out (sandyterraces.com)

nudesunguy
Forum Member

Posted - 07/07/2010 :  10:36:19 AM  Show Profile  Send nudesunguy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Another method is to refer to a nudist-related news article or event during your conversation with friends. For example, here in the San Francisco area, there are always stories about the Bay to Breakers run and how some people run it nude. One of our friends was there and said she was "grossed out" by the nudity. Another friend of ours accidently ended up at a gay pride parade (which also had nude people) and couldn't stop talking about it. We were having drinks and she kept saying she wanted to "get naked." (She's a lot of fun, as you can imagine). We were at a bar at the time, so the opportunity to get naked was limited, but I'm pretty sure she'd be up for trying the local beach someday.

In another case, I told a friend about a problem I was having related to my being a nudist (our daughter's boyfriend accidently saw a one second clip of my wife nude on a video I thought I had deleted). I referred to our being naturists very casually; like being a golfer or something. Of course the friend was intrigued, and has since gone to the beach with us.

With close friends, I don't see any difficulty being honest; though somehow it's easier if you are with just one member of a couple, for example. With casual friends, it's much more difficult. And if a close friend shuns you after hearing what you do in your spare time, you gotta wonder about the friendship anyway, don't you?

kristafr

Posted - 01/06/2011 :  8:19:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I brought it up to friends at work, they were a lot less critical than I expected. You never know what you are going to get, and I got a lot. Long story short, I got to work naked. They didn't mind, and only a few were even shy about my nudity. The subject of nudism has come up a lot at work, and some of my friends are even thinking about trying nudism for themselves! It has gone above and beyond what I expected.

Christopher L. Stewart

FireProf
Forum Member

Posted - 01/06/2011 :  11:47:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Broaching the subject to "your" friends is one thing...broaching it to your grown children's friends is another!

We've spent some nude time on our beach with our youngest's closest friends...twice as a matter of fact. They've wanted to return to the beach with us but since it's been targeted by overzealous rangers (San Onofre)...they've opted not to go til the matter is solved one way or another.

We have an annual vacation with our nudist friends coming up in a couple weeks. 2 or the 3 couples we vacation with will be staying with us for 4 days before we head to Palm Springs for a week at a nude resort.

Our youngest has suggested that "we", all our friends and their friends that have either tried a nude outing, considered a nude outing or have experimented with home nudism go wine tasting so that their friends can meet our friends and talk.

We decided to have a BBQ and wine tasting party here at our home so everyone can feel a bit more comfortable with talking about nudism without worrying about what others might over hear or...make it a better environment to speak openly to those of us that live it regularly to those that are considering it.

So far...the kids friends are ALL IN! I think our friends will enjoy talking about it with the younger adults and sharing their philosophies, perspectives and experiences.

bqdude1
Forum Member

Posted - 01/09/2011 :  11:40:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by kristafr

. . . Long story short, I got to work naked. . ..

Christopher L. Stewart

kristafr,

I would like to hear the "Long Story" if you have the time to write it. I have had the opportunity several times to work naked at my wife's warehouse on weekends and when the rest of the staff are gone. Sure would like to have the opportunity to always do it all the time, when the weather permits. Her warehouse is not air conditioned and the heaters only keep the temperature at 55 degrees F.

Maybe instead of "Casual Friday" there could be "Naked Monday". It would sure make going back to work more pleasant and the absentee rate might drop.

Edited by - bqdude1 on 01/09/2011 11:43:31 AM

freecospirit
Forum Member

Posted - 01/11/2011 :  03:41:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I find mentioning it at work is generally accepted in a matter of fact manner with the odd person saying they do to. I doubt that a nude day would go down well. With family it is completely different, my family anyway, it is very much taboo. Naked time at home and in the garden is strictly when we are on our own. Many people are beyond education no matter what approach you take.

nudesunguy
Forum Member

Posted - 01/12/2011 :  12:44:46 AM  Show Profile  Send nudesunguy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
"Many people are beyond education no matter what approach you take."

This is so true. Some people don't bat an eye, and others reject it outright. And politics is no indicator; I know conservatives who love to be nude, and very liberal people who are horrified by it. It kind of one of those things; either you get it, or you don't...

Page: of 6 Topic Next Topic: Nudism and educating the public - best method?  
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic |   Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Nudist-Resorts.Org Discussion Forum Bulletin Board Nudism Clothing Optional Resort Naturism Nude Beaches © 2002-2020 SUN Go To Top Of Page
This page was down to skin in 0.21 seconds.

General Rules and Terms of Service

Membership in the Nudist-Resorts.Org discussion forum is free, can be anonymous, and requires only a working email address. All email links to members are cloaked. You can disable your email link. Nude photos can be posted, if within our posting rules. No erotica, spam or solicitation is allowed here. References to sex or genitals in your username or profile will result in removal from the forum. Information and opinions regarding anything related to nudism are encouraged, including discussions concerning the confusion between nudism and eroticism if discussed maturely. All posts in this forum are moderated. Read our POSTING RULES here and here. All information appearing on this website is copyright and intellectual property of the Society for Understanding Nudism unless otherwise noted. The views expressed on these forums by participants are not necessarily representative of the Society for Understanding Nudism. Administrators reserve the right to delete anything outside the posting rules, or anything in their opinion not appropriate. To post, you must have cookies enabled and be at least 18 years of age.

Email the Webmaster | Legal Information

Copyright © 2002-2015 SUN - Society for Understanding Nudism
All Rights Reserved