Nudist-Resorts.Org - Naturist Discussion Forum / Bulletin Board

Nudist-Resorts.Org - Naturist Discussion Forum / Bulletin Board
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?

About Us | Active Topics | Active Polls | Site News | Nudist News | Online Users | Members | Destinations | N. A. I. R. | My Page | Search
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 467 ]  [ Total: 467 ]  [ Newest Member: dild0 ]
 All Forums
 Education - Promoting the Nudist Lifestyle
 Educating the public about nudism
 Broaching the subject of nudism with friends
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic |   Printer Friendly
Author Topic Next Topic: Nudism and educating the public - best method?
Page: of 6

The Natural One
Forum Member

Posted - 08/26/2008 :  12:51:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by beachalive

I was just wondering, for those of us here that don't belong to nudist resorts or clubs, if you have told your friends about your interest in nudism (e.g., around the house, etc.)? If so, how to you broach the topic, what was the reaction, and have any of your friends joined you in going without clothes? Seems a lot of "home nudists" may be concerned about their friends finding out, but that may not be a bad thing. I have one set of friends who were not nudists, but once the "secret" was out tried going naked in my home. That was a while ago, but they seemed to enjoy themselves. They now frequently go naked in their own home, and we have had a few birthday-suit barbecues at each others homes. It may well be worth letting others in on the lifestyle.

The Natural One
Forum Member

Posted - 08/26/2008 :  02:03:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by beachnudist

My wife and I have casually mentioned to several friends and relatives about going to the nudist beach and going on clothing optional vacations. We have not received any adverse reactions so far. One or two expressed an interest in what it was like but most didn't seem bothered one way or the other. One couple related to us said that they had also gone to nude beaches. A good way of letting people know about your nudist activities is to do as james423 did and tell someone who you know will gossip about it. I am sure many more of our friends and relations know about our nudist interests than we are aware of. We don't go around broadcasting our intrest but neither do we keep it a secret or would we deny it. We take the attitude that its just part of who and what we are. Keeping your interest in nudism a secret is like keeping any secret, burdensome. The less secrets we have to keep the easier life is.

Hello,

I think you hit the nail on the head. Drop a hint to someone that cannot keep their mouth shut and
you could not find a better way to let people know how you feel. Down at work I was talking to a fellow
employee who said she was going to the Telluride Folk Festival here and I asked if she was staying at
The Orvis hot Springs. She told me no. So I pushed the issue a little farther to see if she knew what that was. After giving her a few clues I said it sounds like fun to me. She said that does not sound like you. Well I did not show her my tan, but I wonder how many people at work know about my interest. Now if I just get my wife to relate. She is out of town on vacation this week and I really enjoy the (clothes free )freedom. I tried to get my wife to go to Orvis on our anniversary this year and she thought I was totally nuts. I would still love to go! I don't know many nude people, but we are all nude under those uncomfortable clothes. Why are we so hung up on "Best Dressed" or dressed at all?
The Natural One

[edited by Moderator to allow the quote to appear]

Edited by - Moderator on 08/26/2008 09:49:01 AM

Diger
Forum Member

Posted - 08/27/2008 :  10:22:18 PM  Show Profile  Send Diger a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I don't agree with the gossip method, you have no control over it. Most gossip is exaggerations and half truths.

You are far better off telling people you trust.

Diger

Edited by - Diger on 08/27/2008 10:26:15 PM

The Natural One
Forum Member

Posted - 08/27/2008 :  11:14:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by beachalive

I was just wondering, for those of us here that don't belong to nudist resorts or clubs, if you have told your friends about your interest in nudism (e.g., around the house, etc.)? If so, how to you broach the topic, what was the reaction, and have any of your friends joined you in going without clothes? Seems a lot of "home nudists" may be concerned about their friends finding out, but that may not be a bad thing. I have one set of friends who were not nudists, but once the "secret" was out tried going naked in my home. That was a while ago, but they seemed to enjoy themselves. They now frequently go naked in their own home, and we have had a few birthday-suit barbecues at each others homes. It may well be worth letting others in on the lifestyle.

Hello Beachalive,

One of my daughters know I sun in the nude, I don't know if my other daughter does or not. I guess I need to tell her. my grand daughter and wife also know. I don't get much support from the home front but who knows that could change with time. I don't really have many friends it seems. love to meet some though. I think I would feel comfortable around other nudists. The thing I worry about most is will the neighbors call the cops if they see me in the backyard nude? I am starting to hate hiding it, and I am starting to not care who sees me. Am I wrong? As far as telling other people, I think more people will find out before long. ( And yes it could be a good thing.) Or it may not, in different ways.

The Natural One

NudeAl
Forum Member

Posted - 08/28/2008 :  10:17:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am between jobs right now and I have no plans on telling anyone about my nudist tendencies when I do have a job. The reason is I have had a few issues at other jobs when I let a few secrets out of the bag, not related to nudism. I guess that taught me to keep my work life and my home life separated.

Now as far as family and friends go all my family knows I have even taken my brother to a nudist resort and my sister to a nude beach all my kids and my wife of course have gone with varying degrees of success. I guess I know my family will always love me no matter what. I have no fear of them ever rejecting me for something as silly as my nudist behavior. Now I don't go nude around them usually but there is always that possibility. I mean if they are staying here at my house for a visit it is possible that I may go from bedroom to bathroom nude and then they could see me. But I am not too worried about converting any of them to the nudist lifestyle, to each his own.

The woods are lovely, dark and deep, But I have promises to keep, And miles to go before I sleep, And miles to go before I sleep. -- Robert Frost

Phydeau
Forum Member

Posted - 08/28/2008 :  11:42:24 AM  Show Profile  Visit Phydeau's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Almost all of my online acquaintances are aware that I rarely wear clothes at home. Some of them are real-life acquaintances (a few are dear friends who have known me in person for many years).
My avatar at myspace is Calvin of "Calvin and Hobbes" running nude with the caption "Life is short. Play naked." I've done one poll where I asked people how often they walk around the house without clothes, and almost everyone (again, these are real-life friends) said they did it all the time. One even said she wears clothes so infrequently that her friends jokingly asked if she even OWNED clothes.
I haven't volunteered anything to my family, yet, but when I talk to my co-workers, I'll sometimes talk about something that happened to me in my apartment where I needed to find something to wear, or something. But I don't just broadcast it. It has to come up in conversation, naturally. One of my co-workers is almost surely a home nudist, but I haven't asked her. The topic of nude beaches came up, once, and my boss said he "didn't want to sound like a pervert" when he asked about it. She and I glanced at each other and then casually each said we'd be willing to visit one, but the conversation kind of died there.

In short, yeah. I'll talk about it, but I'm not going to go out of my way to do it. If it comes up, I'll be enthusiastic about it. Otherwise, whatever. Most people don't know I'm a fan of "Buffy the Vampire Slayer", either, but if it comes up, I'll talk all day about it. Otherwise, I don't need to be sounding like my life revolves around it, because it doesn't. You know?

free2tannude
Forum Member

Posted - 05/30/2010 :  12:41:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We know that the BP Oil Disaster in the Gulf is a very unfortunate event, for the environment, fisheries,TOURISM, etc.

I used this event the other day in the Pub when someone mentioned that Travel Agents report that 'Vacation Bookings in the affected area are way down'

I responded by saying: ' Who the Hell wants to go to a Nude Beach and get covered in OIL! And it's the WRONG KIND of OIL!

The waitress, pulling pints, spins around and says: 'I hope Orient Beach is not affected, I spent a week there 2 winters ago'. Then, someone else pipes up and says: That's a CO Beach, isn't it?

Another example would be to ask: I am going to Vancouver for a Vacation, how many beaches are in Vancouver? Someone in the crowd will mention Wreck Beach and might possibly say: 'The weather cooperated and I spent 3 afternoons at Wreck.

If you find enough people in the group on the 'Same Page', then you can mention casually 'I went to Wreck' or 'The resort I was staying at had a CO section of beach and I tried it on the 4th day I was there, and wish I tried it on the FIRST DAY!'

Edited by - free2tannude on 05/30/2010 12:44:23 PM

freecospirit
Forum Member

Posted - 06/04/2010 :  08:36:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The issue of how spread the word about naturism crops up on loads of naturist forums. As naturist we know why we do it, or rather continue to do it, no matter how we started it. I started feeling rather daring on a quiet beach in Crete. What I found was that simply removing a very brief pair of speedos made an unbelievable difference. Simply body freedom felt so great that I was hooked, I just really enjoyed being nude so much so that I looked for other options to naked around the home not just in the bathroom or in bed. Even so nothing comes close to the feel good factor I get on a nude beach.

Trying to convey just how good it feels to a non-nudist requires them to take the same leap of faith I took all those years ago, problem is they just don't understand until they have tried it for themselves. Sad thing is that the majority of them never find out just what they are missing out on.

free2be
Forum Member

Posted - 06/04/2010 :  6:44:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I like the idea of bringing it up indirectly (mentioning Haulover or Gunnison or some other similar beach) in a conversation and see who responds...although I would be hesitant about trying it at work..I could see trying it in some other settings mentioned here. Waiting for a chance to try this out.

allnaturalwife
Forum Member

Posted - 06/04/2010 :  7:36:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here is a "fool proof" way I have found to decide if you should/should not mention your nudist lifestyle to someone: Bring up a generic news story about someone getting into trouble with local police for nude sunbathing in their backyard. Actually this has happened many times, so I suppose its really not a "fake" story. Just keep the details simple..."Hey, did ya'll hear about the guy/gal that got a fine for nude sunbathing....." See the reaction of the person/people. Look at their facial expression right away, then of course what they say in response..go from there. This has worked for me when I'm not sure if I should tell..whoever.

Jenn

free2tannude
Forum Member

Posted - 06/05/2010 :  02:40:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Or, I was hiking along the shore of a lake and came across a secluded beach with 20 to 30 people suntanning nude. Wait for their reaction. eg. 3mile beach in Penticton BC

Many ways to broach this subject

freecospirit
Forum Member

Posted - 06/05/2010 :  08:11:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
With family we have long learnt just not to mention it and certainly never to appear naked in front of them. I know in some families it is fine and that must be great but sadly not ours. With friends simply talking about it is not generally an issue though suggesting that they should try it sometime rarely goes down too well. I would only get naked with friends if they did too! On the beach there tend only to be people we don't know and as long as least one other person is nude we will be too, if we know that it is definitely a nude OK beach I am not too concerned about being first.

nudesunguy
Forum Member

Posted - 06/05/2010 :  10:47:14 AM  Show Profile  Send nudesunguy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Good idea, Jenn. Another thing is to mention that you skinny dipped in college, or while in Europe, etc. My wife and I have both "came out" to friends, usually when drinking ;-).

One friend of ours reacted in horror to hearing about people running the Bay to Breakers nude in San Fran. We sort of didn't like her any way; it went downhill from there. I guess, basically, if someone is that offended by nudity, do you really have much in common with them anyway?

Diger
Forum Member

Posted - 06/09/2010 :  11:44:52 AM  Show Profile  Send Diger a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
We have told a few friends and family but thanks to my wife's sister, have many many more that know. Once she found out and knew some of our friends knew she had a field day. LOL

It all worked out cause nobody cared anyway.

Diger

tgg
Forum Member

Posted - 06/09/2010 :  4:51:35 PM  Show Profile  Visit tgg's Homepage  Send tgg an ICQ Message  Click to see tgg's MSN Messenger address  Send tgg a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Diger

I don't agree with the gossip method, you have no control over it. Most gossip is exaggerations and half truths.

You are far better off telling people you trust.

Diger

"The worst thing than being talked about is not being talked about"

'Fear wraps our bodies in clothing, love allows us to stand naked' - Neale Donald Walsch (Conversations With God 1)

Page: of 6 Topic Next Topic: Nudism and educating the public - best method?  
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic |   Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Nudist-Resorts.Org Discussion Forum Bulletin Board Nudism Clothing Optional Resort Naturism Nude Beaches © 2002-2020 SUN Go To Top Of Page
This page was down to skin in 0.38 seconds.

General Rules and Terms of Service

Membership in the Nudist-Resorts.Org discussion forum is free, can be anonymous, and requires only a working email address. All email links to members are cloaked. You can disable your email link. Nude photos can be posted, if within our posting rules. No erotica, spam or solicitation is allowed here. References to sex or genitals in your username or profile will result in removal from the forum. Information and opinions regarding anything related to nudism are encouraged, including discussions concerning the confusion between nudism and eroticism if discussed maturely. All posts in this forum are moderated. Read our POSTING RULES here and here. All information appearing on this website is copyright and intellectual property of the Society for Understanding Nudism unless otherwise noted. The views expressed on these forums by participants are not necessarily representative of the Society for Understanding Nudism. Administrators reserve the right to delete anything outside the posting rules, or anything in their opinion not appropriate. To post, you must have cookies enabled and be at least 18 years of age.

Email the Webmaster | Legal Information

Copyright © 2002-2015 SUN - Society for Understanding Nudism
All Rights Reserved