Nudist-Resorts.Org - Naturist Discussion Forum / Bulletin Board

Nudist-Resorts.Org - Naturist Discussion Forum / Bulletin Board
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?

About Us | Active Topics | Active Polls | Site News | Nudist News | Online Users | Members | Destinations | N. A. I. R. | My Page | Search
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 361 ]  [ Total: 361 ]  [ Newest Member: dild0 ]
 All Forums
 Society And Culture: Nudism Around The World
 Race Issues and Nudism
 Non white nudists.
Next Page
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic |   Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: Minority/ethnic nudism at clothing optional resort Topic Next Topic: prejudice within nudism
Page: of 3

dantes

Posted - 08/04/2007 :  03:50:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Is it me or is nudism one of the whitest activities out there. Every photo I've seen on the web has nothing but white people.

In Europe it makes sense but in the U.S. and Canada (I don't know about Australia) the ethnic demographics of the countries aren't reflected in nudism.

Cheri
Forum Member

Posted - 08/04/2007 :  08:54:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There is another topic with several statements. There are a number of other than white nudists I have met over the years. Perhaps they just don't like to have their photos taken.

Shirley Heaton and Shirley Mason are two who come to mind who live in FL and are active nudists. One non-white nudist told me that he already has a nice color.
Cheri

Doing what I can to positively promote nudism
-
-

Tuffers
Forum Member

Posted - 08/04/2007 :  10:38:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Many nudists get into the lifestyle because they yearn for an all over tan. As Cheri has commented on, non whites have the advantage of having that already. It is up to the non white population to make up their own minds about nudism . It is there for them as much as everyonee to take up if they want.

Bare Warrior
Forum Member

Posted - 08/04/2007 :  12:23:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We just spent 2 years in the Caribbean where the majority of people are of African or of Indian decent. Most of the people you see nude or topless are white. We did see more black nudity in the French islands than on the former British islands. We asked locals why this was the case and most responded that there were three reasons; slavery, religion, and family.

On the islands, locals are pretty much blood kin to everyone else on the island so you can't go to a nude beach without everyone else knowing about it. Most of the locals are very religious and very modist. You rarely see local women in anything other than a one piece bathing suit.

The reason I did not understand until I got more into the history of the islands and slavery was slavery. What I did not know was that most slaves in the Caribbean and many in the South were completely naked when they worked in the fields. Both white men and women took sexual advantage of this nakedness. Only the "skilled" slaves, who worked in factories and homes wore clothes, so wearing clothes was a sign of being a "upper class" slave.
So nakedness still carries the stigma of sexual exploitation and being lower class.

Another reason which is still very prevalent in all societies, not just American (as some try to say) is that lighter skin is seen as being higher class or blooded. This is the case in all racial groups, in Asia, Africa, literally everywhere. A tan in most cultures means you are a manual laborer and therefore of a lower class. Asian farmers go to extreme lengths to be tanless by covering every inch of their bodies. So do Arabs. In Africa lighter skinned people are considered "better."

These same cultural "prejudices" still exist in the African American culture. It has only been in the last 50 years that being "tanned" became a status symbol in the United States and Europe, ie tanned people are wealthy because they have more leisure time than "working" people.

Sometime look at "Yachting Pictures" from the 1930s. Everyone, except the crew, were completely covered while sailing. Only common people had tans.

Bare Warrior

mugwert
Forum Member

Posted - 08/05/2007 :  10:47:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well you can always strike a blow for diversity and start posting pictures of non white people, all are welcome here.

balataf
Forum Member

Posted - 08/05/2007 :  11:06:22 AM  Show Profile  Visit balataf's Homepage  Reply with Quote
At Phi Nu, when I have attended, there have been Black attendees at four out of seven events, but no Asians. While the total percentage is not very high, neither is it negligible.

acouple005
Forum Member

Posted - 08/05/2007 :  11:44:16 PM  Show Profile  Send acouple005 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
We are African American nudists and some of our friends are aware our recreational activities. We have been to several nudist resorts in the Midwest and yes, people of color are hard to come by. However, it is not because we are made to feel unwelcome at nudist functions. We are a very educated couple and we are fully aware of the residue of slavery but, as Americans, slavery is probably not keeping us from nudism. I think nudism is not practiced or explored by people of color for the same reasons it is not explored by other people. People associate it with sex or old perverted men. At least that is what one of our friends told us. Another couple of friends felt like people only go to nudist parks to look at other people. I don't think these reasons are unique to African Americans, many groups, including white people, feel similarly. On the other hand, I think our friends would go if there were more African Americans involved. It is hard, being a successful black couple who lives and works among mostly white people, leaving town to go to a nudist resort (or any resort for that matter) to be among all white people. We would like to see more diversity in aspects of our lives, not just nudism.

Just our thoughts, not really directed at anyone.

A&S

Blackbare6
Forum Member

Posted - 08/06/2007 :  12:49:30 AM  Show Profile  Send Blackbare6 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I agree, ACOUPLE005. I'ts tough always being the ONLY ONE at a club , or event. But like a buddy of mine said, "Hey, I'm black - I'm used to forcing my way into places where I'm not wanted!" We just have to deal with the situation at hand, and go with the flow. I'm lucky in that I'm near Haulover Beach in Miami, and there are LOTS of minorities of all kinds represented.
Henry

balataf
Forum Member

Posted - 08/06/2007 :  01:09:58 AM  Show Profile  Visit balataf's Homepage  Reply with Quote
To acouple005:

It would be helpful to know what area or region you are from.

My mention of Phi Nu is short for Philly Nudes, and I do live in Phila.

Tuffers
Forum Member

Posted - 08/06/2007 :  3:53:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Acouple005 & Blackbare6. As a Brit I don't give a damn what colour you are, black, white, pink, yellow or green from Mars!! You are human beings as I am and you would be welcome at our club without doubt and why shouldn't you be. Colour in the naturist movement where we go makes not difference. If you are decent folk then you are welcome. There is too much bigotry in this world and it is about time it ended.

Tuffers

Bare Warrior
Forum Member

Posted - 08/06/2007 :  6:01:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Acouple005,

So glad to hear your comments. As an American who truly believes in our Constitutional principles I get excited when I see all people enjoying themselves. I would also like to see more American people of color get into sailing.

Bare Warrior

samira1
Forum Member

Posted - 09/12/2007 :  07:06:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hiya im pakiatni muslim lady and i am my daughter have always been topless and beaches, ive seen a few other asain women but fine that same thing that majority are white, it would be nice if there was more diversity and would maybe make other asian black women want to try nude or topless

samira ahmed

jim19452
Forum Member

Posted - 09/24/2007 :  5:21:18 PM  Show Profile  Visit jim19452's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I live in NC with a high percentage of blacks. Black social nudists are rare. The few who do participate are well received and nice people.

The same holds for Yellowstone, Grand Tetons, Glacier and other national parks and monuments in the west. There are many, many more German visitors than blacks.

I asked a black couple why and they replied that they would much rather visit Disneyland, etc., than merely scenic locations.

Best Wishes, Jim

DanLo
Forum Member

Posted - 11/08/2007 :  5:22:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am hispanic and feel more comfortable when I see other nude hispanics at the nude beach or at a resort

DanLo
Forum Member

Posted - 11/08/2007 :  5:24:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am hispanic and love to see more hispanics enjoying the nude lifestyle

agde
Forum Member

Posted - 11/08/2007 :  6:44:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Three quick thoughts. Naturism seems to be growing quite rapidly, especially among younger people, in many parts of the world, so we can look forward to more diversity. The underlying reasons why people start trying out social nudist activities vary widely by culture and in places like China the attractions and taboos are quite different from the roots of European naturism, but often traditional culture is in fact very supportive. Whatever your ethnic or cultural background, one thing you can always count on in a naturist context is a warm welcome -- I would think that social naturism's core messages of equality, interpersonal respect, social leveling, and everybody just being free to feel comfortable in their own skin would appeal to many groups as a pleasant break from attitudes in other social contexts. Great to hear of Hispanic interest -- perfect time to encourage!

Edited by - agde on 11/08/2007 6:50:26 PM

Page: of 3 Previous Topic: Minority/ethnic nudism at clothing optional resort Topic Next Topic: prejudice within nudism  
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic |   Printer Friendly
Next Page
Jump To:
Nudist-Resorts.Org Discussion Forum Bulletin Board Nudism Clothing Optional Resort Naturism Nude Beaches © 2002-2020 SUN Go To Top Of Page
This page was down to skin in 0.26 seconds.

General Rules and Terms of Service

Membership in the Nudist-Resorts.Org discussion forum is free, can be anonymous, and requires only a working email address. All email links to members are cloaked. You can disable your email link. Nude photos can be posted, if within our posting rules. No erotica, spam or solicitation is allowed here. References to sex or genitals in your username or profile will result in removal from the forum. Information and opinions regarding anything related to nudism are encouraged, including discussions concerning the confusion between nudism and eroticism if discussed maturely. All posts in this forum are moderated. Read our POSTING RULES here and here. All information appearing on this website is copyright and intellectual property of the Society for Understanding Nudism unless otherwise noted. The views expressed on these forums by participants are not necessarily representative of the Society for Understanding Nudism. Administrators reserve the right to delete anything outside the posting rules, or anything in their opinion not appropriate. To post, you must have cookies enabled and be at least 18 years of age.

Email the Webmaster | Legal Information

Copyright © 2002-2015 SUN - Society for Understanding Nudism
All Rights Reserved