Nudist-Resorts.Org - Naturist Discussion Forum / Bulletin Board

Nudist-Resorts.Org - Naturist Discussion Forum / Bulletin Board
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?

About Us | Active Topics | Active Polls | Site News | Nudist News | Online Users | Members | Destinations | N. A. I. R. | My Page | Search
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 233 ]  [ Total: 233 ]  [ Newest Member: dild0 ]
 All Forums
 Society And Culture: Nudism Around The World
 Nudist Attitudes in Various Countries
 America v. European Concepts on Nudism
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic |   Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: European attitudes versus American ones. Topic Next Topic: Middle Eastern Nudists  

Warmskin
Forum Member

Posted - 05/30/2014 :  04:06:02 AM  Show Profile  Send Warmskin a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
http://blog.ricksteves.com/?p=296

Here is a mind-provoking blurb

“I rise early almost every morning and sit in my chamber, without any clothes whatever, half an hour or an hour, according to the season, either reading or writing.”
Ben Franklin

gnarlyoldman
Forum Member

Posted - 06/02/2014 :  4:02:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I see that article was posted in 2008, but it hasn't changed much. Much of the US is still very over controlling about everybody else's body.

Naked is green.

Warmskin
Forum Member

Posted - 06/02/2014 :  7:10:35 PM  Show Profile  Send Warmskin a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Was it that old? My gosh! It can be difficult not to bring coals to Newcastle. Oh well, maybe it bared repeating. It is amazing the differences between America and Europe

“I rise early almost every morning and sit in my chamber, without any clothes whatever, half an hour or an hour, according to the season, either reading or writing.”
Ben Franklin

NaturistDan
Forum Member

Posted - 06/06/2014 :  10:51:03 AM  Show Profile  Visit NaturistDan's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I've been working on a blog that attempts to reconcile the differences between naturism in Europe, America, and the rest of the world, but in case this topic is interesting to you...

http://meanderingnaturist.wordpress.com/

Naturist Dan

Warmskin
Forum Member

Posted - 06/12/2014 :  8:48:00 PM  Show Profile  Send Warmskin a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for an informative blog, Dan. I bookmarked it. Even created a new folder for it. Much appreciated.

Ben Franklin

sailawaybob
Forum Member

Posted - 06/13/2014 :  8:46:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
rick steves is always entertain on pbs on saturday but interesting blog but when you consider the high percentage in the usa are of europeon decent it make you wonder if our ancestors were prudes and kicked out of europe. i read and even see how american's have such a hangup with mere nudity but than you go to the lake or beach and ladies have their bathing suits hanging on by dental floss but men are dressed in shorts below their knees, now let's look back to the turn of the century and ladies were dressed to their ankles. and forgive me for getting the main prudes - yeah the government regulating our lives so we can live by the standards of these prudes. i bet if i could find a study i'm sure the good old usa has a higher rate of sex offenses then all of europe combined.

CalTom
Forum Member

Posted - 06/16/2014 :  12:51:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Americans have always had a strange dichotomy with regard to nudity, either the on-screen kind or with nude beach and resort nudity. As has been discussed in various forums, you'd be hard-pressed to find a country in the world that talks more about sex, either on the radio or on TV and the movies. We are the country that invented topless radio. But show a movie starlet on the red carpet wearing a transparent silk blouse and those pixilated squares go in front of the offending breasts faster than you can type "pixel."

We are a country where you can drag your kid to an Oscar-winning PG-13 rated WW-II movie that shows gallons o' blood and violence and yet slaps an R rating on a French captioned import because it shows women bathing in the nude. Only in America can junior play video games where maiming and decapitation are the goal, but historically where conservative school boards go ballistic at the notion of sexual education literature containing stick figures and rudimentary diagrams of the sex organs.

And only in the American media are nudist resorts stereotyped as the bastion of the geriatric set or- in some utopian altered universe- a Playboy Mansion-like adolescent dream that is populated 5-to-1 with Kate Upton supermodels.

Ah, America.

NaturistDoc
Forum Member

Posted - 06/16/2014 :  1:53:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Prudes indeed, Bob. In the 1630s, some 20,000 English Puritans emigrated to New England, particularly to what was then the Massachusetts Bay Colony. They were a pious lot - they even disapproved of Christmas festivities! - and, like the Mormons two centuries later, very prolific. They dominated Colonial-era public life, and although their political influence had waned by the time of the American Revolution, their style of conservative religiosity has remained a strong force in American culture to this day. (H. L. Mencken famously described Puritanism as "the haunting fear that someone, somewhere, may be happy".) Still, while we are the inheritors of our Puritan history, we need not be its prisoners. There is also a cranky "Leave me the hell alone" streak of individualism in our culture that may eventually rescue us from the Puritans.

BTW, "europeon" is the most perfect and useful misspelling I've come across in ages. It describes my ancestors (Euro-peons) precisely.

Previous Topic: European attitudes versus American ones. Topic Next Topic: Middle Eastern Nudists  
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic |   Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Nudist-Resorts.Org Discussion Forum Bulletin Board Nudism Clothing Optional Resort Naturism Nude Beaches © 2002-2020 SUN Go To Top Of Page
This page was down to skin in 0.2 seconds.

General Rules and Terms of Service

Membership in the Nudist-Resorts.Org discussion forum is free, can be anonymous, and requires only a working email address. All email links to members are cloaked. You can disable your email link. Nude photos can be posted, if within our posting rules. No erotica, spam or solicitation is allowed here. References to sex or genitals in your username or profile will result in removal from the forum. Information and opinions regarding anything related to nudism are encouraged, including discussions concerning the confusion between nudism and eroticism if discussed maturely. All posts in this forum are moderated. Read our POSTING RULES here and here. All information appearing on this website is copyright and intellectual property of the Society for Understanding Nudism unless otherwise noted. The views expressed on these forums by participants are not necessarily representative of the Society for Understanding Nudism. Administrators reserve the right to delete anything outside the posting rules, or anything in their opinion not appropriate. To post, you must have cookies enabled and be at least 18 years of age.

Email the Webmaster | Legal Information

Copyright © 2002-2015 SUN - Society for Understanding Nudism
All Rights Reserved