Nudist-Resorts.Org - Naturist Discussion Forum / Bulletin Board

Nudist-Resorts.Org - Naturist Discussion Forum / Bulletin Board
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?

About Us | Active Topics | Active Polls | Site News | Nudist News | Online Users | Members | Destinations | N. A. I. R. | My Page | Search
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 173 ]  [ Total: 173 ]  [ Newest Member: dild0 ]
 All Forums
 Nudism and The Law
 Nudism and The Law / Laws Concerning Nudists
 Utah Strikes (Out) Again!
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic |   Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: Private parts in North Carolina? Topic Next Topic: Nudity at home/unlawful?  

NaturistDoc
Forum Member

Posted - 01/04/2010 :  5:35:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just when you think Utah is going to join the 21st Century (after all, we just got the liquor laws liberalized), something like this comes along to drag us back to the 19th!

In the Summer 2007 issue of "N" magazine, an article on Utah naturists (including yours truly) featured the well-known and traditionally clothing-optional Diamond Forks Hot Springs. Over the years there have been sporadic efforts at enforcing a no-nudism policy at the springs, but for the most part the nudies and textiles have co-existed, with only infrequent hassles from law enforcement.

This past October things took a bad turn when a group of Utah County sheriff's deputies, apparently with nothing better to do, hiked the two miles into the springs after dark to bust a group of nude soakers, including several who were firefighters for the US Forest Service. There were no illicit drugs involved, nor was there any sexual activity going on. The only 'lewd' activity seemed to be the officers shining their flashlights on the women as they ordered them out of the pool, yet the soakers were all cited for public lewdness. If things go badly for the 'perpetrators', they could potentially end up on the state roster of sex offenders ... for skinny-dipping in a remote canyon at night! I am glad to be able to say that the Naturist Action Committee has taken an interest in the case, which goes to trial in a few weeks.

The details of this pathetic story can be found at:

www.catalystmagazine.net/component/content/1048?task=view&ed=40

Warmskin
Forum Member

Posted - 01/05/2010 :  06:53:26 AM  Show Profile  Send Warmskin a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I'm not a big fan of the Utah law enforcement folks. They seem to have a penchant for being overbearing, and don't mind violating one's rights.

I was given a speeding ticket there a long time ago. I told the officer that I might have a real problem being in court at the time he directed. He treated me like a hostile prisoner, or a raw recruit for the military. He threatened to arrest me if I didn't agree right then and there to promise to be at court on a specified time.

He also tried to get me to testify against myself just after he pulled me over. I didn't buy into his deprivations of rights gambit.

So, getting back the skinny dip situation, it doesn't surprise me at all to hear about the Utah cops going out of their way to harass people. I hope an intelligent judge hears this case and tells the cops to go do something more important, like polish their badges, or trim their fingernails, or better yet, try to increase their IQ's to that of cop that has some good sense.

I do love Nevada cops, though; much more reasonable!!

"If people let government decide which foods they eat and medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny."
Thomas Jefferson

sailawaybob
Forum Member

Posted - 01/05/2010 :  12:02:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
was in law enforcement for 25 years you got the good one and the idiots, pretty much like any career.

GKTiger

Posted - 04/01/2010 :  5:46:07 PM  Show Profile  Send GKTiger an AOL message  Reply with Quote
May I inquire as to what happened in court? This sounds absurd at best. From reading this, I got the impression that this is federal land. What jurisdiction could the police have on federal land?

G.K.

NaturistDoc
Forum Member

Posted - 04/02/2010 :  6:27:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
GK, I don't know the denoument of this story, but I will try to find out. The hot springs are on National Forest Service land, but it is my understanding that State and County officials have shared jurisdiction on NFS lands. The situation may be different in National Parks. The Forest Service generally doesn't issue citations for nudity at Diamond Fork, but has on occasion told nude soakers to get dressed.

One interesting follow-up. The Desert News, a newspaper owned by the Mormon church, ran the story and posted dozens of comments from their (mostly Mormon) readers. The overwhelming majority thought the citations were ridiculous, and many wondered why 6 sheriff's deputies felt it a priority to hike 2 miles in the middle of the night to bust a few skinny-dippers even as Utah County has developed a reputation as the OxyContin Abuse Capital of Utah.

ddoger
Forum Member

Posted - 04/05/2010 :  01:18:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The citations got tossed out because of the signage. Park officials have changed the signage and say they will continue with enforcement.

I am a Mormon Nudist and I even think this was all a bit anal.

NaturistDoc
Forum Member

Posted - 04/05/2010 :  11:49:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the update. It sounds as though they won the battle, but may have lost the war. On the other hand, I doubt that the long-standing tradition of skinny-dipping at Diamond Fork will will simply come to an abrupt stop. My guess is that enforcement efforts will wax and wane as they have done for decades, and that one's chances of being arrested or issued a citation will be a matter of luck and timing.

balataf
Forum Member

Posted - 04/06/2010 :  2:34:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit balataf's Homepage  Reply with Quote
To repeat the obvious. What a waste of time and money.

NaturistDoc
Forum Member

Posted - 01/03/2011 :  6:02:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The latest issue of "N" magazine (30.2) has an article summarizing the sorry story of the 2009 Diamond Fork Hot Springs Massacree, to borrow a term from Arlo Guthrie. There is a great overhead picture that shows how dozens of nudist volunteers built up the soaking pools. It hurts to think that all that work may end up for nothing, but the Utah County Taliban plans to continue their policy of harassment, while the Forest Service does nothing.

Times are tough all over, apparently. Here's a recent article about Bagby Hot Springs in Oregon.

http://www.oregonlive.com/environment/index.ssf/2011/01/at_troubled_beautiful_bagby_ho.html

Previous Topic: Private parts in North Carolina? Topic Next Topic: Nudity at home/unlawful?  
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic |   Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Nudist-Resorts.Org Discussion Forum Bulletin Board Nudism Clothing Optional Resort Naturism Nude Beaches © 2002-2020 SUN Go To Top Of Page
This page was down to skin in 0.51 seconds.

General Rules and Terms of Service

Membership in the Nudist-Resorts.Org discussion forum is free, can be anonymous, and requires only a working email address. All email links to members are cloaked. You can disable your email link. Nude photos can be posted, if within our posting rules. No erotica, spam or solicitation is allowed here. References to sex or genitals in your username or profile will result in removal from the forum. Information and opinions regarding anything related to nudism are encouraged, including discussions concerning the confusion between nudism and eroticism if discussed maturely. All posts in this forum are moderated. Read our POSTING RULES here and here. All information appearing on this website is copyright and intellectual property of the Society for Understanding Nudism unless otherwise noted. The views expressed on these forums by participants are not necessarily representative of the Society for Understanding Nudism. Administrators reserve the right to delete anything outside the posting rules, or anything in their opinion not appropriate. To post, you must have cookies enabled and be at least 18 years of age.

Email the Webmaster | Legal Information

Copyright © 2002-2015 SUN - Society for Understanding Nudism
All Rights Reserved