Nudist-Resorts.Org - Naturist Discussion Forum / Bulletin Board

Nudist-Resorts.Org - Naturist Discussion Forum / Bulletin Board
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?

About Us | Active Topics | Active Polls | Site News | Nudist News | Online Users | Members | Destinations | N. A. I. R. | My Page | Search
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 145 ]  [ Total: 145 ]  [ Newest Member: dild0 ]
 All Forums
 Education - Promoting the Nudist Lifestyle
 Educating the public about nudism
 Why do you think some people are against Naturism
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic |   Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: Radio interview on nudism on ABC Brisbane Topic Next Topic: List of people who live in the nude?  

PopandMomBear
Forum Member

Posted - 05/25/2009 :  12:58:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
To me being nude is the most comfortable thing in the world and i am lucky to have found a woman who shares my interest who i love very much. So why would any one be afraid of nudity. Are they embarrassed or afraid or jealous their partner will see something better and go for it,(if that is the case you are better off) so give me your thoughts and let enjoy it while we can and do our best to protect our rights to assemble however we want in appropriate areas.

Moderator please post this where needed if it is in the wrong place Thanks

Randy

NaturistDoc
Forum Member

Posted - 05/27/2009 :  08:39:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The short answer is"Nudity = Sex, and Sex is Nasty". Humans (some cultures more than others) are deeply conflicted about their sexuality. Nudity brings these conflicts to the surface, in your face if you will, and a lot of people really can't or won't deal with it. This question can't possibly be dealt with comprehensively in a setting like this. A few hundred PhD dissertations wouldn't exhaust the subject! I highly recommend Sigmund Freud's amazing (and gratifyingly brief) "Civilization and Its Discontents" for a thoughtful and subtle discussion of the origins of these conflicts. Ol' Sigmund was wrong about a lot of things, but he got a few things right.

Warmskin
Forum Member

Posted - 05/27/2009 :  7:40:52 PM  Show Profile  Send Warmskin a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Another possible angle is conditioning from the past generations. Who taught your great-great grandmother that being nude is wrong? Her mom and dad, that's who.

Some generations have been more lax about nudity in the past. The late 1600s in Europe was a reprieve from textile obsessiveness; at least in some areas. Of course, I have repeated in other posts the feelings about clothing and nudity in the Victorian era. It seems that only recently in mankind's history that clothing has become a compulsive-obsessive disorder. Sure, there have been periods before that, too.

Compare and contrast the mindless conformity of today versus that of hundreds of years ago. Back then, if you were a country type and you were skinny dipping, who cared? A big advantage they had back then was no media. It didn't matter what they did in the next nation. It was much more of a hodge-podge life back then.

Nudity to some means primitivity. With all our techie-toys, and other un-human contrivances, it is more difficult to see man as still being desirous of going back to the primitive state, ala Adam and Eve. Fortunately, some people are willing to try being nude, and more so in other countries than in the USA. Far too many people today are not aware of their body, and act as if it were inanimate and just a machine. The only time they are aware of it is if you bring up the subject of nudity or are in the doctor's office, to which they become phobic about their body, and we know that phobias are irrational fears. I always thought we were evenly spread into mental, physical, emotional, and spiritual. Why do the masses not pay attention to the physical side of being human? Our civilization is not built around our body, and nudity is, to them, an unfortunate necessity that only a doctor is allowed to discuss.

A work-hard complex feeds anti-nudism, and America is afflicted with that. That also leads to conformity. Like it or not, many Europeans have 6 weeks of vacation each year, and have the chance and time to be nude at beaches and resorts. With America still lagging behind with its workaholic mentality, nudity doesn't get a fair review. We get our one or two weeks off each year, and we head off to our vacations with the workplace frame of mind. That admits of little free thinking, and little non-conformity. They might say, "Who, me, spend my vacation in the nude? I wouldn't consider it! What would I tell the guys back at work about my vacation? You know how the boss feels about anyone who does weird things off duty."

On and on it goes. So, excessive civilization, conformity obsessed people, workaholics, fear of feeling free, Queen Victoria's instructions to the world, and whatever else you can conjure up, works against nudity.

“In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm, and three or more is a congress.” -John Adams

thornapplebison
Forum Member

Posted - 05/31/2009 :  12:42:41 AM  Show Profile  Send thornapplebison a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Most people believe that nudists are perverted men with weak-willed wives that the men enjoy showing to each other for the sake of perverse thrills...like wife-swapping with the eyes only.

Of course, the fact that many who engage in nudism go beyond the eyes-only approach kind of reinforces that way of thinking.

Then, there's the problem of the fact that there are children present who have not learned to be modest or distrustful, and who cannot really understand the situation on an adult level sufficiently to even give consent to all that it means for them to be nude in front of adult strangers.

The whole thing gets extremely volatile. Most people would rather not deal with it all. Even if in practice it turns out to be fine and healthy and safe, there's so much bias and anxiety and introspection and circumspection going into it that most people would feel more relaxed if they kept their swimming suits.

I think this is why we call ourselves nudists. We recognize that we are a different sort of people.

tgg
Forum Member

Posted - 09/24/2009 :  10:19:39 AM  Show Profile  Visit tgg's Homepage  Send tgg an ICQ Message  Click to see tgg's MSN Messenger address  Send tgg a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I think Warmskin has summed up this thread perfectly. America really needs to lighten up and take stock of itself as a country, what Steven Covey refers to 'sharpening the saw' in his book "The 7 Habits Of Highly Effective People".

'Fear wraps our bodies in clothing, love allows us to stand naked' - Neale Donald Walsch (Conversations With God 1)

iowanudist
Forum Member

Posted - 10/12/2009 :  6:51:31 PM  Show Profile  Visit iowanudist's Homepage  Send iowanudist an AOL message  Send iowanudist a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I think a lot of people think nudism is about sex or when they think of being nude sex is the first thing that comes to mind.

However nudism is NOT about sex at all.

http://iowanudists.com

firefly

Posted - 10/12/2009 :  7:20:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nudism is so different for so many people that is why there are so many different groups and why there is so much Controversy. we are all born nude. it is what happens to us after that that changes us.to bad so many people have make it a bad thing

The Natural One
Forum Member

Posted - 02/10/2010 :  01:48:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Rational Treatment of Nude Recreation
Promote rational treatment and sane policy behind public nude recreation. (I put this info on my facebook page and now what?) Support the Cause.

The only reason people think nudity causes "offense" in the context of peaceful nude recreation is as a result of a sheltered and skewed upbringing that substitutes prudish and baseless Victorian ethics for rational thought and fair treatment of all subjects. Being ashamed of your own body is one of the most pitiful and inconvenient afflictions to suffer from when you have a mind capable of rational thought that would much rather you embrace and enjoy every moment you are alive.

I think it is important to let your friends know about the real you. I think it could backfire, but it may show you who your best friends are. Your real friends, who are like you in more ways then one. Facebook is sometimes a big waste of time, but it gives me something to do. I wish people would open up a bit. I think talking to someone about nudity is only going to happen if I bring it up with them. Then it is a touchy subject. Still no takers
on my facebook page and no comments. (You know you can send a private message on facebook right?) I guess I need to find more True Friends.

soonbnude
Forum Member

Posted - 02/11/2010 :  01:34:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

There is at least one thesis in this question for the psychologists, probably more. Here are a few potential starters.

Religion and church indoctrination, concerns about sex and what may happen if lots of people are nude together, people scared about their own sexuality, people scared they may not be attractive or "adequate", the media portrayal of beauty and the beauty myth, strict parental indoctrination etc.

In a word it is fear in various forms. Fear of all the above and of the unknown and maybe how they may act or react, not just inadvertently but intentionally.

SBN.

Previous Topic: Radio interview on nudism on ABC Brisbane Topic Next Topic: List of people who live in the nude?  
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic |   Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Nudist-Resorts.Org Discussion Forum Bulletin Board Nudism Clothing Optional Resort Naturism Nude Beaches © 2002-2020 SUN Go To Top Of Page
This page was down to skin in 1.05 seconds.

General Rules and Terms of Service

Membership in the Nudist-Resorts.Org discussion forum is free, can be anonymous, and requires only a working email address. All email links to members are cloaked. You can disable your email link. Nude photos can be posted, if within our posting rules. No erotica, spam or solicitation is allowed here. References to sex or genitals in your username or profile will result in removal from the forum. Information and opinions regarding anything related to nudism are encouraged, including discussions concerning the confusion between nudism and eroticism if discussed maturely. All posts in this forum are moderated. Read our POSTING RULES here and here. All information appearing on this website is copyright and intellectual property of the Society for Understanding Nudism unless otherwise noted. The views expressed on these forums by participants are not necessarily representative of the Society for Understanding Nudism. Administrators reserve the right to delete anything outside the posting rules, or anything in their opinion not appropriate. To post, you must have cookies enabled and be at least 18 years of age.

Email the Webmaster | Legal Information

Copyright © 2002-2015 SUN - Society for Understanding Nudism
All Rights Reserved