Nudist-Resorts.Org - Naturist Discussion Forum / Bulletin Board

Nudist-Resorts.Org - Naturist Discussion Forum / Bulletin Board
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?

About Us | Active Topics | Active Polls | Site News | Nudist News | Online Users | Members | Destinations | N. A. I. R. | My Page | Search
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 177 ]  [ Total: 177 ]  [ Newest Member: dild0 ]
 All Forums
 Site News
 Comments about website, bug reports, etc.
 Proofreading
Next Page
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic |   Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: 419 Ivory Coast Scam in my PM Inbox Topic Next Topic: Can someone tell me why I show as being offline
Page: of 2

NaturistDoc
Forum Member

Posted - 04/09/2009 :  10:49:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I hate to sound schoolmarm-ish. (Well, actually I don't mind all that much.) But it seems to me that the frequency of posts littered with misspellings, bad or non-existent punctuation, and frankly unintelligible writing is increasing. I am not talking about the occasional typo, or the efforts of people for whom English is not their primary language. Some of the worst offenders are clearly American-educated (?) native speakers who are just incredibly sloppy in their writing. Either that, or nudists have an above-average rate of dyslexia.

I realize that NRO isn't some sort of literary salon, nor should brief posts be held to the standards of a term paper. But whether one is trying to inform or make a point, an unreadable, incoherent post defeats the purpose of the forum. So, please READ your posts before submitting them.

Admin
Forum Admin

Posted - 04/09/2009 :  12:13:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Reply with Quote
An excellent rant.

In that spirit, please remember to use the spelling check.

The spelling check is already active as you compose your post. Every word underlined with the red wavy line can be right-clicked on to reveal several choices for your correct spelling. Just click on the best choice and continue.

runrdad
Forum Member

Posted - 04/09/2009 :  3:20:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I can hardly read the local paper without laughing about all the typo's and grammar errors. This isn't some small town rag so they should be able to do it correctly. A few stories each week cannot be read due to how poorly they are written. I agree with you NaturistDoc born and raised American's are the worst.

NCLynn
Forum Member

Posted - 04/11/2009 :  2:26:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
NaturistDoc, I am a schoolmarm and I concur!

nude charles
Forum Member

Posted - 04/11/2009 :  2:54:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I totally agree. Spelling and punctuation is atrocious.

Warmskin
Forum Member

Posted - 04/11/2009 :  8:30:37 PM  Show Profile  Send Warmskin a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
i don't know why people don't use punctuation marks they just type without thinking if you type without punctuation people will not know when you are stopping a sentence and moving on to a new idea this is disconcerting if you use punctuation it make it easier for people to read if you can't use punctuation marks or are not sure I can be understanding we all learned punctuation in school we had good teachers who helped us learn to do that we must remember to do what they said I am glad Doc reminded us about that English is a great language we must respect it

"Rock and Roll, man, on K-WASH FM, yo, raaaaap with me, mama, with 50 Cent. Git it on, Baby! "

George Washington

balataf
Forum Member

Posted - 04/12/2009 :  12:15:35 AM  Show Profile  Visit balataf's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Applause, kudis and commendations to your point.

capecodjack
Forum Member

Posted - 04/12/2009 :  11:43:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
u shud no IMHO thet this is the futr of theinglish landgwitch LOL

capecodjack
Forum Member

Posted - 04/12/2009 :  11:46:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I hope that all realize that the previous post was in jest. I am married to a long time (now retired) school teacher of secondary school English. I also have two daughters teaching, one of whom also teaches high school English.

Teva
Forum Member

Posted - 04/19/2009 :  2:35:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A friend of mine (well-educated) asked me to edit a manuscript for a book he is writing. I gave up after 60 pages and many, many typos, grammatical, spelling errors. One reason to turn off a spell check as the word form will be approved even if you meant from. One of my biggest pet peeves is when people use the word that rather than who when referring to a person.
Teva

nude charles
Forum Member

Posted - 04/19/2009 :  8:16:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Teva, how about affect and effect?

Taxman
Forum Member

Posted - 04/28/2009 :  1:00:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I find the poor quality of writing is not limited to the bulletin boards. It is showing up in emails and increasingly in business letters.

I see two big contributing factors without a solution in site.

There was a time the public schools moved away from correcting the kids so that they could better express their creative side.

This was followed by instant messaging and text messaging.

In my work, I am offend required to write memos and alternative solutions to various issues. I am finding that people are increasingly not reading the entire paper or email.

Does anyone have a suggestion or suggestions in how to get personal pride back into what we do? I believe more than anything else this would stop this trend of poor writing.

Right or wrongly to combat this, I tend to break down the memo into short paragraphs in hopes of keeping the reader’s attention.

I know my limitations when it comes to spelling and grammar. I will offend type outside of the bulletin board in my word processing program to catch the spelling errors. Then I cut and paste what I have done.

This still leaves with the grammar issues to contend with.

HomeNudist
Forum Member

Posted - 04/28/2009 :  1:29:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
*snicker*

offend = often ???

Taxman
Forum Member

Posted - 04/28/2009 :  1:56:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by HomeNudist

*snicker*

offend = often ???

If Gates could develope a grammer checking program would be a lot of help.

Bill Bowser
Forum Member

Posted - 04/28/2009 :  4:37:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Methinks NaturistDoc is preaching to the choir. Those who generate the gibberish are probably not reading this thread. Unfortunately I overhear many conversations in public places that sound much like the subject posts. What is happening to our language?

Bill

NaturistDoc
Forum Member

Posted - 04/28/2009 :  7:19:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
O tempora o mores!

Page: of 2 Previous Topic: 419 Ivory Coast Scam in my PM Inbox Topic Next Topic: Can someone tell me why I show as being offline  
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic |   Printer Friendly
Next Page
Jump To:
Nudist-Resorts.Org Discussion Forum Bulletin Board Nudism Clothing Optional Resort Naturism Nude Beaches © 2002-2020 SUN Go To Top Of Page
This page was down to skin in 0.31 seconds.

General Rules and Terms of Service

Membership in the Nudist-Resorts.Org discussion forum is free, can be anonymous, and requires only a working email address. All email links to members are cloaked. You can disable your email link. Nude photos can be posted, if within our posting rules. No erotica, spam or solicitation is allowed here. References to sex or genitals in your username or profile will result in removal from the forum. Information and opinions regarding anything related to nudism are encouraged, including discussions concerning the confusion between nudism and eroticism if discussed maturely. All posts in this forum are moderated. Read our POSTING RULES here and here. All information appearing on this website is copyright and intellectual property of the Society for Understanding Nudism unless otherwise noted. The views expressed on these forums by participants are not necessarily representative of the Society for Understanding Nudism. Administrators reserve the right to delete anything outside the posting rules, or anything in their opinion not appropriate. To post, you must have cookies enabled and be at least 18 years of age.

Email the Webmaster | Legal Information

Copyright © 2002-2015 SUN - Society for Understanding Nudism
All Rights Reserved