Nudist-Resorts.Org - Naturist Discussion Forum / Bulletin Board

Nudist-Resorts.Org - Naturist Discussion Forum / Bulletin Board
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?

About Us | Active Topics | Active Polls | Site News | Nudist News | Online Users | Members | Destinations | N. A. I. R. | My Page | Search
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 519 ]  [ Total: 519 ]  [ Newest Member: dild0 ]
 All Forums
 Swimming Pools, Spas & Hot Tubs
 Interesting things about pools and hot tubs
 Another reason to skinnydip in pools
Next Page
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic |   Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: Using salt water/ plumbing re-vamp/ corrosion etc Topic Next Topic: Pool Question
Page: of 2

pilot
Forum Member

Posted - 07/04/2008 :  10:05:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We have found another reason to recommend skinnydipping.

We have a lovely pool that has been free of pool nuisances like algae...until recently.

We invited neighbors over to swim, and with kids they preferred to wear suits. Several days later, the pool developed an outbreak of pink algae--not algae at all but actually a bacterium.

It turned out that one of that family had been swimming elsewhere that also had developed an outbreak of the stuff. While it's more or less harmless to humans, it IS carried easily on swimsuits.

You guessed it--we determined that his swimsuit had been "hung up to dry" instead of being laundered between pools.

Similar things can happen swimming/boating in a river or lake, and then in a pool.

We now ask that guests wear laundered suits--or no suits--their choice.

Anyone else with similar stories?

Diger
Forum Member

Posted - 07/04/2008 :  11:43:34 AM  Show Profile  Send Diger a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Never noticed the pool, but every time we have friends over that wear suits in the hot tub we have to use more chemicals (mostly to cut the foam).

Diger

go n nude
Forum Member

Posted - 07/04/2008 :  12:14:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The best reason i've heard so far, why go n nude is better for mind body and health, not good news for swimmwear industry $$$$ wasted and now possible bad for your health label could transmit bacteria and cause tan lines and uncomfortable when wet ect. hopefully this causes a trend to more traditional and natural birthday suit that never goes out of style.

go n nude

smoothNtanned
Forum Member

Posted - 07/05/2008 :  11:07:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Interesting about that bacterium. Algae has been our main challenge to keep at bay. Our well water is alkaline and fosters their growth. Swimming pool only once in 3 years had a brief clouding. Low level chlorine, algicide and UV keeps it crystal clear, and we leave the safety cover on (totally seals it) when not in use.

As Diger noted, a bigger challenge for us too is the hot tub, which we use year-round. Only the occasional friend or relative our age will go nude. Unfortunately others, especially guys, wear the baggy bulky bermuda short-type swimwear (I'll save my rant about those ridiculous 'costumes' for another time). Foam, fibers in the filter, and occasional case of algae. Besides dirt and possible cross-contamination from other water exposures, I swear there must be residual detergent as well. Changing filters, adding more chemicals, and in one instance changing out the water, have been necessary.

The good news. Rare it is for others to use the hot tub the last couple of years. The pool is kept very warm, so seldom do visitors jump into the hot tub on cool days to warm up after swimming. The rest of the year, the few guests we have generally tub it au naturel.

Thanks for that alert about the bacterium. Ever vigilant......

'NUDE when able, covered when necessary'

Edited by - smoothNtanned on 07/06/2008 1:59:38 PM

Phydeau
Forum Member

Posted - 07/05/2008 :  11:22:50 AM  Show Profile  Visit Phydeau's Homepage  Reply with Quote
There is almost certainly residual detergent left in the swimsuits. When I used to work for Rainsoft, one of the demonstrations we used to do was take a clean, laundered kitchen towel and show them how much detergent is left behind. You'd be stunned. It's no wonder why everyone has bad skin in this country. They chemically burn themselves with chlorine in the shower, and then put on a layer of laundry detergent.

So yes. The foam in your hot tub is laundry detergent.

Diger
Forum Member

Posted - 07/05/2008 :  6:40:16 PM  Show Profile  Send Diger a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
The hot tub owners manual says to double rinse the suits that you use in the tub. That's some advice we don't need. LOL

Diger

balataf
Forum Member

Posted - 07/06/2008 :  2:22:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit balataf's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I feel impelled to repeat an item that I've posted in several other threads.

2 1/2 years ago, I attended several Phi Nu swims at a health spa with pool and hot tub. I picked up a bad cellulitis skin infection at that time. The result was the amputation of my left leg a few months ago.

According to the medical literture, diabetics are strongly warned to avoid multi-person hot tubs. The reasoning from swimsuit contamination above is one added factor.

Beaches are even worse! I have a diabetic acquaintance who stepped on a very small piece of jagged sea shell that she had not felt at all. She lost her foot.

This is serious business. No joke.

Edited by - balataf on 07/06/2008 2:25:22 PM

Bare Warrior
Forum Member

Posted - 07/06/2008 :  3:42:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I may be dating myself but nude swimming pools were tne norm at all YMCA's up through the 1960s. pools were indoors. They weren't coed. The reason was exactly what was mentioned above. As a little kid I didn't like going to the Y because it was so much harder to float, but boy could you swim fast.

Bare Warrior

smoothNtanned
Forum Member

Posted - 07/07/2008 :  10:35:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm not familiar with the origin of nude swimming at the YMCA, but the non-coed was always nude the years I attended, from the mid-40's to mid-60's. Only as a life guard/swimming instructor do I recall wearing speedo's, both at the indoor pool and the lakeside summer camp.

Does someone know the rationale and origin of this practice, and was there a health reason for it, at least in part? A side benefit: comfortable being nude at a young age in a social, albeit single sex, situation. Nakedness just seemed natural. It has had a life-long beneficial impact. Hopefully the Y continues that practice.

Often public and semi-public pools and hot tubs are posted regarding skin infections, although I've seen this less lately. Not only may the water, especially in a hot tub, adversely affect that condition, but if inadequately disinfected by chlorine, bromine, hydrogen peroxide, UV or some other suitable means, it becomes a cauldron for certain bacteria, fungi and perhaps viruses. Swimsuits could likely add more......

'NUDE when able, covered when necessary'

Edited by - smoothNtanned on 07/07/2008 10:38:27 AM

old hippie
Forum Member

Posted - 07/08/2008 :  12:09:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The "old" YMCA in my hometown had a single swimming pool in the basement. There were hours for men to swim, and hours for the women. The men did not wear suits; I cannot tell you what the women did. When I was as old as six or so, my Dad would take me along when he went to play volleyball at the Y, and I could hang out in the exercise room, or on the running track that circled the court where they were playing.
The pool was probably built before WWII, as was the rest of the building, and I suspect that the swimming attire dated in the same way - it was what folks had been accustomed to since 1900 or so.
When the "new" Y was built (in the 70's), it had several pools, everyone wore suits, and there was no indoor running track. What had been a venue for physical exercise had become a location for family social activities. This may be a change for better or not - but it a seismic change in our cultural behavior.

Dum vivimus, vivamus!

pilot
Forum Member

Posted - 07/08/2008 :  9:33:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
On hot tubs and infections...

Hot tubs are perfectly designed to breed bacteria--warm water and aeration. Bacteria can grow on all sorts of substrates, including secretions from sweat glands, what drips off trees and so on. Any break in the skin represents "access", and diabetics with (already) compromised immune systems who also are neuropathic (and cannot feel sores and other breaks in the skin) are at high risk. Just the way it is.

On single-sex swimming nude....

Some of the behavior probably came from summer camp traditions, where there was no hot/cold running water (except in the camp director's on-site home) and campers bathed in the lake--once a week whether needed or not. Usually became obvious that bathing and swimming were pretty close in character.

On mixed-gender skinnydipping...

My impression is that provided (1) kids are not generally at home; (2) pool is not in direct eyesight of neighbors and (3) pool is privately owned, this is much more common than the general public realizes. My guess is that it is the rule, not the exception. Why the presence of kids changes behaviors is a topic for separate discussion.

NaturistDoc
Forum Member

Posted - 07/08/2008 :  11:56:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Pilot,

I wonder how common skinny-dipping is when the PARENTS aren't home.

Doc

Warmskin
Forum Member

Posted - 09/15/2009 :  11:52:49 PM  Show Profile  Send Warmskin a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Imagine that, algae is our best friend in pools and hot tubs. Sound weird at first blush? Not actually, when you consider that it is one more reason, perhaps the most compelling reason to enforce nude swimming in our pools and hot tubs. Either swim nude, or not at all.

Now that might seem like cruel and unusual punishment for our textiled guests, but you could always have nude swimming for women only one day, and then nude swimming for men only the next day, to break in our neighbors in friends. Once they get comfy and all, then the genders can be mixed on the same day.

Grow your neighbors into becoming nudists, too, this way, and then you won't have to worry about them seeing you.

Don't get carried away, though, you might have to get a license from the city if this goes on all day long, with people arriving and leaving.

In all seriousness, gradualism is a powerful method to get people used to something new. Once they get used to the first step in conversion, they're ready to take the next slow step, and so on.

If your neighbors don't track algae into your pool, find some elsewhere, put into your pool, and then kindly suggest the remedy for the problem "caused by your neighbors," is for them to swim nude. You have to have an angle to play.

Otherwise, love your neighbor as they are and don your swimwear, enjoy their company, and be a good sport.

"The means of defense against foreign danger historically have become the instruments of tyranny at home."
James Madison

ah2benude
Forum Member

Posted - 09/16/2009 :  08:59:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The best reason of all to nude in the pool; It just plain feels good!

Diger
Forum Member

Posted - 09/16/2009 :  10:24:27 PM  Show Profile  Send Diger a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by pilot

On hot tubs and infections...

Hot tubs are perfectly designed to breed bacteria--warm water and aeration.

That's why it's improtant to have an Ozone generator on your hot tub.

Diger

jacksriverhiker
Forum Member

Posted - 09/20/2009 :  12:51:37 AM  Show Profile  Send jacksriverhiker an ICQ Message  Reply with Quote
Diger, how does an ozone generator help? My wife and I want to get a hot tub for our next - and hopefully last - home, but since I have had several bouts with cellulitis over the years (each one worse than the last), I am more than a little nervous about the bacteria issue.

Page: of 2 Previous Topic: Using salt water/ plumbing re-vamp/ corrosion etc Topic Next Topic: Pool Question  
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic |   Printer Friendly
Next Page
Jump To:
Nudist-Resorts.Org Discussion Forum Bulletin Board Nudism Clothing Optional Resort Naturism Nude Beaches © 2002-2020 SUN Go To Top Of Page
This page was down to skin in 0.2 seconds.

General Rules and Terms of Service

Membership in the Nudist-Resorts.Org discussion forum is free, can be anonymous, and requires only a working email address. All email links to members are cloaked. You can disable your email link. Nude photos can be posted, if within our posting rules. No erotica, spam or solicitation is allowed here. References to sex or genitals in your username or profile will result in removal from the forum. Information and opinions regarding anything related to nudism are encouraged, including discussions concerning the confusion between nudism and eroticism if discussed maturely. All posts in this forum are moderated. Read our POSTING RULES here and here. All information appearing on this website is copyright and intellectual property of the Society for Understanding Nudism unless otherwise noted. The views expressed on these forums by participants are not necessarily representative of the Society for Understanding Nudism. Administrators reserve the right to delete anything outside the posting rules, or anything in their opinion not appropriate. To post, you must have cookies enabled and be at least 18 years of age.

Email the Webmaster | Legal Information

Copyright © 2002-2015 SUN - Society for Understanding Nudism
All Rights Reserved