Nudist-Resorts.Org - Naturist Discussion Forum / Bulletin Board

Nudist-Resorts.Org - Naturist Discussion Forum / Bulletin Board
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?

About Us | Active Topics | Active Polls | Site News | Nudist News | Online Users | Members | Destinations | N. A. I. R. | My Page | Search
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 147 ]  [ Total: 147 ]  [ Newest Member: dild0 ]
 All Forums
 Nude Beaches and Public Lands / Nudism Places
 Most Popular Nude Beaches
 Lighthouse Beach in New York
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic |   Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: Pirates Cove Topic Next Topic: How do I get to the clothing optional beach in Mtl
Page: of 3

tubby
Forum Member

Posted - 09/02/2009 :  04:15:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Lighthouse Beach is very nice, and the people seem OK, although I have never spoken to anyone, I usually keep to myself. I like to every so often go walking there. The boardwalks through the Lighthouse area are very nice. During my last visit I walked down to the east part of the beach. My problem with fully enjoying Lighthouse Beach is that I teach in one of the local Schools, and the students often frequent Robert Moses. Some of them have "Wandered" down to the C/O section. I was hoping that the eastern half of the beach past the lighthouse would be less prone to "Wanderers" but I found that there are enough of them at that stretch of the beach as well. There actually seems to be a fair abount of pedestrian traffic along the beach between Robert Moses and Kismet.

OK, here is the big question. I've heard that there is or at least was a C/O beach to the west of Smyth Point Park. Is anyone familiar with the "Smyth Point" beach? I know its actually part of the Otis Pike Dune Wilderness. Is it an official C/O beach like Lighthouse or is it Unnofficial? Are there "Wanderers" on the beach there, or is more secluded.

[I spelled it with a Y instead of an I because for some reason the name was censored?]

Thanks. I may not be able to actively participate in the Lighthouse Beach lifestyle, but I appreciate and admire the freedome many enjoy there. And in another 30 years when I retire, I'll be able to fully enjoy it then.

Edited by - tubby on 09/02/2009 04:20:24 AM

beachnudist
Forum Member

Posted - 09/02/2009 :  2:30:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sm1thpoint Beach is further east. Take the William Floyd Pky at exit 68 on the LIE. Walk to the right at the Textile beach for about a 10 minutes. You will see a sign saying that beyond this point is clothing optional There is also a white pillar with green stripes. Past this is the CO area. It continues for about a mile until you see another similar pillar. If you continue on, the beach is almost deserted but is not CO as far as I know. The entire area is patrolled by the park rangers and Park police and the Suffolk police often drive along the beach. It is less busy than Lighthouse. Non nude people do walk by but it is not as likely to have gawkers, young or old, as Lighthouse. You can either walk along the beach to get there or take the boardwalk at the Ranger station and turn right at the end. Its not as crowded as Lighthouse and has a lot more beach

rogandjean
Forum Member

Posted - 09/02/2009 :  10:17:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Thanks. I may not be able to actively participate in the Lighthouse Beach lifestyle, but I appreciate and admire the freedome many enjoy there. And in another 30 years when I retire, I'll be able to fully enjoy it then.

Hello Tubby and welcome.
Don't forget that only a "mere" two hours away from Lighthouse Beach, is Gunnison Beach. I doubt that your students would be venturing that far. So maybe occasionally you can go over there. I understand that some kind of ferry called the "SeaStreak" goes from Manhatten to Gunnison. There are some references to it in the Gunnison forum. That would save some of that long drive. Hope you have fun.

Admin
Forum Admin

Posted - 09/03/2009 :  01:31:40 AM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Sorry about the Smithpoint accidental censor. Within that name are letters similar to the initials of an establishment which was removed from the forum for not being "nudist" in practice. It should be working correctly now.

tubby
Forum Member

Posted - 09/03/2009 :  02:45:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Admin for fixing the "Smith Point" error. Thanks Beachnudist for the info on "Smith Point" C/O beach. It just seems like there is very little information out there about it. Everyone knows about Lighthouse Beach and Cherry Grove, but Smith Point gets little mention. I've also heard that some nudists use the eastern portion of Jones Beach, but I understand that the State patrols the area and issues tickets.

Back in College we used to go to Wildwood State Park on the north shore. The swimming area is near the west end of the park. We used to go to the beach there and walk quite a ways to the east. That beach was pretty much deserted for the most part. Once again, I would imagine the state likely patrols that stretch, but we never had a problem. This was going back 10 years or so. I don't know how much this may have changed. Nowadays, I'd really like to stay in areas where C/O is legal. I'm glad to hear Smith Point is legal and has propper signage. I'll have to check it out. I don't know if I'll be able to get there this summer or not, but I'll get there eventually.

Finally, RogandJean, Thanks for the info on Gunnison and the "SeaStreak." The name is very fitting for a ferry to a nude beach (lol). It's nice to have options.

lookingbambam

Posted - 09/17/2009 :  11:43:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello to all. I am planing on going to the beach on Saturday (9/19/09) and from out of town. Is there anyone else going that I can join? I'm not sure what time I will be there but this will be my first time nude in front of others in this situation. Reading posts by others, that can get awkward. Hopefully there is someone or some people I can join.

HJ47
Forum Member

Posted - 04/24/2010 :  02:34:34 AM  Show Profile  Send HJ47 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I'm looking into going to Lighthouse Beach for the first time this summer. I've been to Gunnison in Jersey a handful of times before, so it's not like this is entirely new to me.

How is getting to Lighthouse Beach by public transit? Meaning LIRR (from Merrick) to Bayshore station, a mile walk to the Ferry, the Ferry to Fire Island, and then to Lighthouse Beach. Yes, it will take more time, but if the cost is near even out, here are the benefits:
- the extra walking will help me stay in shape
- allows me to arrive at later hours without worrying about a parking space
- I can bring alcohol without worrying if I'm okay to drive home (even though I'm not a huge drinker in the first place)

And, I'm looking to build up a nice tan for the summer at Lighthouse Beach. My complexion is probably a step above a "ginger" (sorry if the term is derogatory). Should I only be out in the sun for only a certain number of hours? If I keep reapplying sunscreen will I still tan? What SPF would be best? Thanks.

NorthEastUSA
Forum Member

Posted - 04/24/2010 :  5:48:47 PM  Show Profile  Visit NorthEastUSA's Homepage  Reply with Quote
My wife and I go to light house beach alot. If you are not there early you will not get a place to park. Its a great beach but the parking stinks.

http://naturistfamily.net/forum/

HJ47
Forum Member

Posted - 04/24/2010 :  9:41:24 PM  Show Profile  Send HJ47 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by NorthEastUSA

My wife and I go to light house beach alot. If you are not there early you will not get a place to park. Its a great beach but the parking stinks.

Define early: 9 AM on a weekend?

rogandjean
Forum Member

Posted - 04/27/2010 :  10:22:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey guys - I'm a little confused here. I have been to that beach (sadly never in summer), and that parking lot is absolutely HUGE. I find it hard to believe that it would be filled up on normal days - holiday weekends perhaps but not normally. Here is a view of the parking:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&ll=40.628619,-73.231162&spn=0.003917,0.006899&t=h&z=17

Also, we have heard that the clothing optional status of lighthouse beach is in jeopardy because of bad behavior. Does anyone have any info on that? Is there anything we can do to prevent it from returning to textile status?

tubby
Forum Member

Posted - 04/28/2010 :  11:54:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rogandjean

...parking lot is...HUGE...hard to believe...it would be filled up

On weekends when its a good beach day weather-wise it does fill up for several reasons...

There had been considerable erosion at field 5, so the park closed down up to half of the parking area depending on beach conditions. Hopefully Field 5 will be fully open this year. NY State is in th midst of a big beach replenishment project at Robert Moses state park.

Field 5 is also popular with families because there is a nice playground there for the kids and a picnic area with grills. Then of course there are the lighthouse visitors, Fire Island day trippers (Kismet, Saltaire, etc.) and of course the fine folks that park there to visit Lighthouse Beach. Believe it or not, Field 5 even gets packed on weekdays during the summer.

The biggest crowds converge during beach season when Robert Moses has Lifeguards on duty, so from Memorial Day Weekend through Labor Day Weekend, expect the lot to fill up on weekends if the weather is nice. We should get some releif on weekdays this year if indeed the entire lot is open, which it should be.

There are four fields at Robert Moses. Field 5 is the year-round lot that is always open. Field 2 is the next one that is regularly open, but it is way down to the western part of the park. Field 2 has a golf course and a complex of Beach Volleyball Courts. I think the lot at field 2 is also a bit bigger than the others. Next to open (usually weekends only) is Field 3, which is right next to field 2, still a long hike. Field 3 is also half the size of the others. Finally, Field 4 is usually never open unless there is a special event happening. Field 4 is next to Field 5, so hiking from Field 4 to Lighthouse Beach is do-able. Its like the walk from Field 5 to Lightouse East Beach between the Lighthouse and Kismet. The problem with Field 4 is that it is usually closed. There is no Field 1 at Robert Moses.

So if you want to go to Lighthouse Beach on a summer weekend, plan on getting there early.

Edited by - tubby on 05/04/2010 10:16:21 PM

rogandjean
Forum Member

Posted - 05/06/2010 :  1:23:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tubby - Thanks so much for all the details. I had no idea that beach and area were so busy. We usually go to Gunnison, but we definitely want to visit Lighthouse this summer at least once. Judging from what you say, it looks like we should shoot for a weekday rather than the weekend. Have you found out anything further about the CO status going away? That really concerns me, but I'm sure there is anything I can do about it.

karnak

Posted - 06/02/2010 :  12:02:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hi. i'm new here and we( my wife and i ) were thinking of going to a nude beach for the first time soon. she's a bit shy about it. we're probably going to go to the lighthouse beach. how often does one have to get there on the weekends and weekdays in order to secure a parking space?

NorthEastUSA
Forum Member

Posted - 06/02/2010 :  8:44:34 PM  Show Profile  Visit NorthEastUSA's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by karnak

hi. i'm new here and we( my wife and i ) were thinking of going to a nude beach for the first time soon. she's a bit shy about it. we're probably going to go to the lighthouse beach. how often does one have to get there on the weekends and weekdays in order to secure a parking space?

Depends on the weather. I would say 9-10 on a nice weekend during the week I don't think its as big of an issue. I don't know for sure since I can only get there on the weekend. We went on Memorial day and were there at 9 and the lot was somewhere between 1/2 and 3/4 full. Its a great beach. Have fun

nyc4me

Posted - 07/21/2010 :  10:36:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How has it been this year so far? Anyone care to report?

How's traffic?

Page: of 3 Previous Topic: Pirates Cove Topic Next Topic: How do I get to the clothing optional beach in Mtl  
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic |   Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Nudist-Resorts.Org Discussion Forum Bulletin Board Nudism Clothing Optional Resort Naturism Nude Beaches © 2002-2020 SUN Go To Top Of Page
This page was down to skin in 0.92 seconds.

General Rules and Terms of Service

Membership in the Nudist-Resorts.Org discussion forum is free, can be anonymous, and requires only a working email address. All email links to members are cloaked. You can disable your email link. Nude photos can be posted, if within our posting rules. No erotica, spam or solicitation is allowed here. References to sex or genitals in your username or profile will result in removal from the forum. Information and opinions regarding anything related to nudism are encouraged, including discussions concerning the confusion between nudism and eroticism if discussed maturely. All posts in this forum are moderated. Read our POSTING RULES here and here. All information appearing on this website is copyright and intellectual property of the Society for Understanding Nudism unless otherwise noted. The views expressed on these forums by participants are not necessarily representative of the Society for Understanding Nudism. Administrators reserve the right to delete anything outside the posting rules, or anything in their opinion not appropriate. To post, you must have cookies enabled and be at least 18 years of age.

Email the Webmaster | Legal Information

Copyright © 2002-2015 SUN - Society for Understanding Nudism
All Rights Reserved