Nudist-Resorts.Org - Naturist Discussion Forum / Bulletin Board

Nudist-Resorts.Org - Naturist Discussion Forum / Bulletin Board
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?

About Us | Active Topics | Active Polls | Site News | Nudist News | Online Users | Members | Destinations | N. A. I. R. | My Page | Search
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 458 ]  [ Total: 458 ]  [ Newest Member: dild0 ]
 All Forums
 Nudist Conduct and Etiquette
 Etiquette and Grooming for the Nudist
 Question about "conservative"
Next Page
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic |   Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: Applying suntan lotion Topic Next Topic: Applying sunscreen question - HELP
Page: of 2

websites

Posted - 11/01/2006 :  1:02:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We're just getting started, have yet to take the kids to a resort or beach, and while we had a great time as a couple at a nude beach, we are hesitant to take our kids to a publicly nude place. We're amazed at the number of genital piercings we see, and despite being nude at a nude beach, the amount of string thongs, worn by men and women, was surprising. And every one seems to be shaving their hair off. We can live with this as a couple, but this is hardly what I want my kids to see. We got into this life style because it was "natural", and know our kids will see it the same, but shaving, piercing, and g-strings just don't fall under our definition of "natural". Is this just our experience, or does it seem that the the nudist movement is moving away from natural and family oriented to adult, sculpted, and couple/single oriented?

Edited by - Moderator on 11/02/2006 09:16:05 AM

BlobbyBob
Forum Member

Posted - 11/01/2006 :  2:42:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well do you consider shaving and cutting hair and having ear and nose piercings ok? You would only have to tell your children that it is the same thing, that people like to cut/shave hair in different places and get piercings in different places too.

Temet Nosce

websites

Posted - 11/01/2006 :  2:58:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BlobbyBob

Well do you consider shaving and cutting hair and having ear and nose piercings ok?

Thanks for your insight and advice. We're a pretty natural family, hence our gravitation toward nudism. So while my girls like ear rings, they don't want pierced ears, they can't see the need. They don't want a pierced nose, not at all.

As to hair, shaving is different than trimming, we all have to trim body hair, or in certain instances, it would become a hazard to us. I have had a beard, but I shave my face, and wear my hair short, for convenience and safety (I'm a fireman, my hair will burn or keep my air mask from fitting).

Kind of difficult subjects to figure out...

Tuffers
Forum Member

Posted - 11/01/2006 :  3:52:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Websites

We too are quite conservative in our outlook and can see where your concerns may lie. Without risking going off topic, the question of shaving ( assuming you are talking about the pubic area ) has been a matter of preference as long as we have enjoyed this wonderful lifestyle. I prefer to be smooth an my wife doesn't.

I think that you will see much greater diversity of fashion on a public nude beach than you will at a family oriented nudist club where there will be a good cross section of age groups. As newcomers to the nudist life, why not find a nice club to join and your children can then enjoy the experience of growing up as nudists amongst others of their own age. The sooner they begin experiencing the freedom of being nude, the sooner you will relax about your own public nudity, in my opinion. Our kids were brought up that way. Good luck and enjoy your new lifestyle.

Mike

balataf
Forum Member

Posted - 11/01/2006 :  10:36:15 PM  Show Profile  Visit balataf's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Let me point out that there are several dozen threads dealing with shaving and piercing. This website really should reorganize to group them all together, as many of the "smoothie" ones, but not all are.

You will find quite a variety of opinions within this movement, from a no on both questions to enthusiastic embracing of both. It is a matter of purely personal choice, altho there are a few fringe "purists" who regard piercing as beyond acceptable. I've seen everything!

My Wife's piercings are seldom visible, due to her anatomy, and I have generally abandoned mine.

NOTE TO FELLOW DIABETICS: PIERCING CAN BE A VERY DANGEROUS MOVE FOR US.

CMx2
Forum Member

Posted - 11/02/2006 :  01:42:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My wife and I are what I would consider to be very conservative nudists.
So far we have avoided nude beaches in the U.S. partially due to all the horror stories we've heard about freaks that potentially hang out there.

I don't really have any problem with people shaving even though I think its a little odd and would never impose the "rubber chicken look" on myself.
Again, I don't really have any problem with someone who wants a descreet piercing for their own personal reasons, but when I see some guy who has a pound of chrome hanging from his penis, I just want to puke. I would never subject my children to that by choice.

I would really recommend a private nudist club. You'll most likely still see a lot of shavings but piercings should be absent in most cases. Private clubs can vary a lot though from very conservative to swinger friendly. You can probably get plenty of information on nearby clubs here on these boards if you just ask. ;)

websites

Posted - 11/08/2006 :  2:18:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CMx2

My wife and I are what I would consider to be very conservative nudists.
So far we have avoided nude beaches in the U.S. partially due to all the horror stories we've heard about freaks that potentially hang out there.

I don't really have any problem with people shaving even though I think its a little odd and would never impose the "rubber chicken look" on myself.

Again, I don't really have any problem with someone who wants a descreet piercing for their own personal reasons, but when I see some guy who has a pound of chrome hanging from his penis, I just want to puke. I would never subject my children to that by choice.

Well said!

Sure, shaving and piercing is a personal choice, but in our investigation into public nudism, we keep running into the same phrase used to describe it - "natural". We see photos of average people with their kids and grand kids. But when you go to a beach, you see a different picture indeed - folks sporting racy g-strings, genital piercings, body paint and shaved genitals, and you begin to wonder if the "natural, family friendly" nudism movement has been taken over by swingers and the like.

The primary complaint I've heard by nudists is that the "prudes" don't want them to have a nude beach. Put your self in a prude's place, imagine them visiting one of our nude beaches for the first time, coming in with all the usual prejudices - nudists are weird, nudists are swingers, nude beaches are just places for sex orgies, etc. etc.. When they see the shaving, genital piercing, body paint and g-strings, do you really think they'll change their minds? Do you think they'll see nudism as family oriented, some thing healthy, wholesome and safe for children?

Shaving, g-strings, body paint and genital piercings are not natural, by any one's definition. They may be a personal choice, and some discreet public use could be tolerated, but the entire movement is going to pay a price as long as the overt stuff is tolerated. Nude beaches in the US (semi official or other wise), already on the decline, will continue to be shut down.

old hippie
Forum Member

Posted - 11/08/2006 :  5:06:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

"My wife and I are what I would consider to be very conservative nudists. "

Now there's a phrase I would not say I have seen very often, 'conservative nudist'. And yet, in the context, it seems quite apt. Here's a couple who wish to enjoy a natural setting in a natural manner, and who find themselves bothered by folks with a different approach to nudity.

If we thought that it was only a matter of "my nudism or your naturism" and that no one else cared, it might be simple to agree to different venues. But as WEBSITES points out, there are political implications, too. Sorta like the good Muslims & those terrorist guys, an outsider can't tell if you are one of us or one of "them". And if enough of the general public gets riled up over the sights they see, well - there's more of them than us.

Is the naturist movement in danger of losing the strides made in recent decades if some folks who might be percieved as freaks are also seen at the nude beach? Or is this just the price one pays for being at a public venue rather than a private club? I don't think American society in 2006 is tolerant enough to see (me, with no clothes on) and (that guy with the pound of chrome, and no clothes on) as substantially different individuals. But if I am worried enough to ban him from the beach, how tolerant is that? Such a conundrum...

There ought to be a balance between expecting to be tolerated, because what I'm doing is, maybe different, but not offensive; and imposing on other people's good nature by acting beyond acceptable limits and expecting to have that accepted. Is this how etiquette is developed?

Dum vivimus, vivamus!

vealj
Forum Member

Posted - 11/09/2006 :  10:23:27 AM  Show Profile  Visit vealj's Homepage  Send vealj an AOL message  Send vealj an ICQ Message  Click to see vealj's MSN Messenger address  Send vealj a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by websites
[brThe primary complaint I've heard by nudists is that the "prudes" don't want them to have a nude beach. Put your self in a prude's place, imagine them visiting one of our nude beaches for the first time, coming in with all the usual prejudices - nudists are weird, nudists are swingers, nude beaches are just places for sex orgies, etc. etc.. When they see the shaving, genital piercing, body paint and g-strings, do you really think they'll change their minds? Do you think they'll see nudism as family oriented, some thing healthy, wholesome and safe for children?

Shaving, g-strings, body paint and genital piercings are not natural, by any one's definition. They may be a personal choice, and some discreet public use could be tolerated, but the entire movement is going to pay a price as long as the overt stuff is tolerated. Nude beaches in the US (semi official or other wise), already on the decline, will continue to be shut down.

Actually, the "prudes" in our society look down on anyone nude who is overweight, over the age of 22 or doesn't have a Madison Avenue model's physique. The social nudist movement is a cross section of today's society and as such, it has members who conform to the fashion of the day. These days it seems to be tattoos and piercings. I think the average Joe won't give a thought about the piercings and stuff they see on a nude beach because it is common amongst nudists and non-nudists alike.

As for it being not natural, well that's certainly true but neither is cutting your hair, shaving your face or legs, wearing nail polish or perfume. One of the things I like about most of the nudists I've met over the years is that they are usually open minded and tolerant. As for the "prudes" in society, I am afraid that no matter how much you try to educate them they have their minds made up that a naked body in public (or even private) has been and always will be a most horrible sight and should never be allowed.

Take care and ...
Keep it Bare !!!
- veal
Web:http://www.vealj.com/naturist.html
Nudist Blog: http://360.yahoo.com/vealj

CMx2
Forum Member

Posted - 11/09/2006 :  2:39:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by vealj

Actually, the "prudes" in our society look down on anyone nude who is overweight, over the age of 22 or doesn't have a Madison Avenue model's physique. The social nudist movement is a cross section of today's society and as such, it has members who conform to the fashion of the day. These days it seems to be tattoos and piercings. I think the average Joe won't give a thought about the piercings and stuff they see on a nude beach because it is common amongst nudists and non-nudists alike.

As for it being not natural, well that's certainly true but neither is cutting your hair, shaving your face or legs, wearing nail polish or perfume. One of the things I like about most of the nudists I've met over the years is that they are usually open minded and tolerant. As for the "prudes" in society, I am afraid that no matter how much you try to educate them they have their minds made up that a naked body in public (or even private) has been and always will be a most horrible sight and should never be allowed.

Interesting...

Strangely enough I find your definition of "prude" to be close to the opposite of the standard definition. Or maybe I'm just a prude!

Edited by - CMx2 on 11/09/2006 3:12:47 PM

jim19452
Forum Member

Posted - 11/09/2006 :  3:54:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit jim19452's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I've never been to a nude beach. I have maybe seen one thong at the clothes free resort I go to and have seen few body piercings and can't remember any with men.

Best Wishes, Jim

beachnudist
Forum Member

Posted - 11/10/2006 :  08:02:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

There is nothing new about people altering their appearance. Humankind has been doing that for thousands of years. All you have to do is look to the ancient Egyptians, Greeks, Celts etc. Primitive peoples with little contact with modern civilization practice all sorts of body modification. In western society body shaving and piercing have long been practiced. The Prince Albert piercing is supposed to be called after Queen Victoria’s husband, and she is/was the poster girl for prudishness. Tattooing has become hugely popular of late but it has been common enough since the early 20th century with the invention of the tattooing machine. Like Vealj says there are many very common unnatural things practiced like face shaving (men and women) leg and underarm shaving, makeup, circumcision, etc etc. The practices that are visible when you are clothed or semi clothed seem to generate no controversy but those that are only visible when a person is nude seem to be contentious. Is it because we are unused to seeing these, even as nudists?

We all have our own likes and quirks. I have shaved genitals and a mostly shaved pubic area. I do it because I like it that way, not because I want to show off or bring attention to that area. I shave some other parts as well. For me it is just part of my grooming that makes me feel good each day. I personally find male genital piercings off-putting, that’s me, maybe others find my shaving off-putting, that’s them. Actually I find nipple piercings attractive. Haven’t got one, maybe yet, you never know.

The fact is that all and each of these practices have nothing to do with nudism in particular. They are practiced by nudists and non-nudists alike, the only difference being that we only get to see some of them (the ones usually covered by clothes) on nudists and we therefore perceive them to be particular to nudists.

Is piercing, shaving and tattooing more prevalent among nudists? I don’t know. I think not but I could be wrong.

Can the visibility of piercing, shaving, tattooing cause us to be seen as weirdos? Possibly, and for the same reason as stated above, people are not used to seeing what is usually hidden so it appears to be strange. In order to prevent ourselves from been seen in that light we would have to refrain from doing what many in the non nudist community can do freely. I don’t think that’s on. I think we have to take our chances with it and try and point out that we, as a population are no different from everyone else, only nude.

Edited by - beachnudist on 11/10/2006 08:07:46 AM

old hippie
Forum Member

Posted - 11/13/2006 :  02:20:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
....That's an interesting point, that these body-items may seem more prevalent among nudist, but in reality only seem so because it is more visible among nudists. A statistical misdirection, eh?

Dum vivimus, vivamus!

Rodders
Forum Member

Posted - 11/17/2006 :  06:10:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Body shaving has been going on since Adam was a lad. The Romans, Greeks and Egyptians all did it. Sailors have had pierced ears for generations and women of course as well. As for tattoos much the same really and it's all a question of current fashion trends. Just because a guy chooses to have a Prince Albert does not have to mean he is odd in any way but maybe a just victim or adherent of fashion. Such things may catch on for generations or may die out. As for me, well I'd probably find a lot of metal uncomfortable and having the dreaded Prince Albert as shown on British TV a while back looked a very painful process. Another thing is that those who have multi body decorations can give off signals that probably are nearly always erroneous. I recall as a young man being constantly amazed at how decent the bikers were who used a local pub. They were supposed to be hooligans if you were to listen to some people but they weren't, they just loved their bikes and leather. It's all a question of seeing beyond the rings, chains tattoos and shaven bits to the person behind them. Not always easy but we all probably have, at times worn things that our parents thought stupid, ill-advised and even downright offensive. Choice is the issue. Prudes, are people who we perceive as being less tolerant than we are. It's a bit like the definition of a Road Hog. He (she) is someone who drives faster than we do. Prudes often begin a sentence with something like "Well I'm not narrow minded but.........." and then prove just how narrow minded they are. Nudists tend to be rather conservative in the main. If that is being prudish, well who I am I to judge. I am a nudist and so can't really be sure how others see me and also, one of the few wonderful things about getting older is that maturity makes you care far less about such things. Just because I never wear a baseball cap, have no tattoos or hardware clipped in to any part of me does not mean that I'm a prude or not. It just means I don't bother with them. I suppose it would be interesting to have a make-up artist cover my face with fake piercings and have a cobweb tattoo on my forehead and then go to the local shop for the morning paper to see how I would be treated. Maybe no change but I rather doubt it. We are very quickly judged by how we look and that can be a big mistake.

Rod

imnude2
Forum Member

Posted - 01/11/2007 :  7:18:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I read many great comments here on this subject.

The last comment from Rodders:

(Excerpts)

"...one of the few wonderful things about getting older is that maturity makes you care far less about such things."

"We are very quickly judged by how we look and that can be a big mistake."

I agree.

I have read posts from experienced nudists (many actively "participating," "living," however you may describe your way of living life while being nude.) Yet, I often wonder about some comments I have read in the various forums when subjects are discussed that are obviously uncomfortable for the "nudist." I think being uncomforable with the subject this has nothing to do with a nudist being too "conservative" but instead, lack of true life experience.

It seems many people would rather agree with the majority than to be looked upon as an outsider. There may be a sense of intimidation and the best way to keep in line is to agree all the time, be "conservative."

I believe maturity is not determined by your age but by the various life experiences you have lived. We can learn so much from people as long as we do not judge others so "quickly." Many comments with a lot of depth (I like that very much.) A few were outrageously funny! (I love a great sense of humor.)

"Conservative" is good. Just remember to not be afraid to use all your senses. (Meaning: to speak up when there is a major wrongdoing going on, whether you hear it, see it, (smell it) or "sense" it.)

Enjoy being nude.

ImNude2

Peace

Edited by - imnude2 on 01/11/2007 7:22:13 PM

n/a
deleted

Posted - 03/27/2012 :  11:45:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am pretty open to all forms of nudity and how others choose to be nude or look nude be it shaved, tattoos etc I just do not or will not tolerate sexual activity in the open. I do not mean erections or of that nature but I mean you bring your partner, family to the nude beach you come walking down the hill to the entry to the beach and find someone giving oral sex in the open to someone else is just horrible.

Page: of 2 Previous Topic: Applying suntan lotion Topic Next Topic: Applying sunscreen question - HELP  
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic |   Printer Friendly
Next Page
Jump To:
Nudist-Resorts.Org Discussion Forum Bulletin Board Nudism Clothing Optional Resort Naturism Nude Beaches © 2002-2020 SUN Go To Top Of Page
This page was down to skin in 0.45 seconds.

General Rules and Terms of Service

Membership in the Nudist-Resorts.Org discussion forum is free, can be anonymous, and requires only a working email address. All email links to members are cloaked. You can disable your email link. Nude photos can be posted, if within our posting rules. No erotica, spam or solicitation is allowed here. References to sex or genitals in your username or profile will result in removal from the forum. Information and opinions regarding anything related to nudism are encouraged, including discussions concerning the confusion between nudism and eroticism if discussed maturely. All posts in this forum are moderated. Read our POSTING RULES here and here. All information appearing on this website is copyright and intellectual property of the Society for Understanding Nudism unless otherwise noted. The views expressed on these forums by participants are not necessarily representative of the Society for Understanding Nudism. Administrators reserve the right to delete anything outside the posting rules, or anything in their opinion not appropriate. To post, you must have cookies enabled and be at least 18 years of age.

Email the Webmaster | Legal Information

Copyright © 2002-2015 SUN - Society for Understanding Nudism
All Rights Reserved