Nudist-Resorts.Org - Naturist Discussion Forum / Bulletin Board

Nudist-Resorts.Org - Naturist Discussion Forum / Bulletin Board
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?

About Us | Active Topics | Active Polls | Site News | Nudist News | Online Users | Members | Destinations | N. A. I. R. | My Page | Search
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 216 ]  [ Total: 216 ]  [ Newest Member: dild0 ]
 All Forums
 Nude Beaches and Public Lands / Nudism Places
 Nude Beach Trip Reports
 OREGON-Rooster Rock State Park & Collins Beach
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic |   Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: Secret Cove, at Lake Tahoe, Nevada Topic Next Topic: Oval Beach, Saugatuck, MI  

websites

Posted - 10/30/2006 :  11:46:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Rooster Rock State Park, Columbia Gorge &
Collins Beach, Sauvie Island,
Both near Portland, OREGON

On the extreme North Eastern tip of an immense island in the middle of the Columbia River, not too distant from Portland, Oregon, lies the most beautiful, picturesque Clothing Optional Beach the mind can imagine. Centuries of ebb and flow of the River have strewn copious amounts of light brown sand on its shores, soft and smooth to the touch, stretching as far as the eye can see. The agreeably mild Summer climate combined with its generous Winter rain fall has sheltered it on the land ward side with a long strip of tall, dark green woods, covered with thick spanish moss and surrounded by dense under growth. On an average day, it is a wonderful place. On a particularly warm, sunny, blue skied day, such as we found it, it is, quite simply... paradise.

But to start at the beginning, my wife and I had never been nude in public before. For various reasons, we'd arrived at a point in our lives where we were ready to try it, for us, and for our kids. But where to go? We were not comfortable with the idea of a resort, but had always enjoined laying out at various beaches, so that seemed the natural way for us to start. We researched Clothing Optional Beaches, and (thankfully), two beaches were found that were very near where our relatives in Washington lived: Rooster Rock State Park and Collins Beach. We opted to try Rooster Rock State Park first.

August was the time we chose. Rooster Rock, while a beautiful place of trees and sandy beach along the Columbia River, was a bit of a disappointment. It seemed to have lost it's status as a family nudist area, what we were looking for. The volley ball court was abandoned and overgrown, and where were the other families and couples we expected? Instead, the entire time we were there, we saw nothing but single men, or male couples & groups. Later, we asked around, and found out that it has lately been pretty much taken over by homosexual men. So after leaving, it was Collins Beach or nothing.

We left on a Monday with the promise of blue cloudless skies, abundant sunshine, and temperatures in the 90's. Leaving all our children but our baby with relatives, we drove north west of Portland for about 45 minutes through some of the most picturesque farm country, and arrived at the dirt parking lot that parallels the beach (having purchased our $3.00 one day parking pass at the country store a ways back). Collins Beach has two sections, the clothed to the south, and the clothing optional to the north. There are no barriers, and you can walk between the two, and people in both sections can see easily each other. I found that interesting. But onward. After arriving, we gathered up our stuff, put the baby in the stroller, and started down the path to the beach (there are several paths you can choose from, all leading from the parking area directly to the beach). The path wound through the trees for about 100 feet, and there we were, on the beach! And there were men AND women this time, of various ages, and even a family or two with small children, all spread up and down the length of the beach. There was plenty of room, it wasn't crowded, the sand was soft, white and clean, and the over all appearance was very appealing. This was it, the moment of truth, as it were. My wife and I glanced at each other, and then with a shrug, off came our clothes. Oddly enough, it wasn't being nude in front of every one that bothered us, it was the dressing and undressing that did. Public nudity, as long as every one else was nude too, seemed perfectly normal and natural. But neither of us felt comfortable stripping in public, nor dressing later on. We still don't, isn't that odd?

Every one we met was very polite and kind. The beach itself runs North and South, and looks out over the mighty Columbia River to the East. Because it is one of the worlds major water ways, trans-oceanic traffic plys up and down the river, from the Columbia Bar in Astoria far away to the West, to the aptly named Portland, City of Roses. What an experience, to lay on the hot sands or swim in the surprisingly warm water, while watching giant super tankers and tug boats pass not more than 1000 feet away. On the Monday we were there, several boats had anchored right off the beach, too.

Our first experience was so positive, so wonderful, we had to come back, and so we did, deciding to try it again, this time on a Saturday.

This time there were a few thorns on the rose. In addition to the dramatically increased number of nude bathers (although there was still plenty of room), we encountered less than family friendly conditions, to wit: too much open alcohol consumption, gawkers, racy bathing suits, or worse, genital piercings. Oh, the gawkers! We'd heard of them, of course, yes, we were warned, but didn't think it would happen to us. Yet there they were, on OUR beach, staring as if their eyes wouldn't close normally. I felt more sorry for them than angry. Most of them were Hispanic laborers from the nearby farm fields, and almost all were clothed and drinking. We were very surprised at the number of clothed people in the nude section, when we were not more than 100 feet from the clothed beach, and could see clothed swimmers there. I have no problem with my wife being stared at, but I admit I'd be happier if every one that stared was nude instead of clothed. Once, while walking North along the beach to the more secluded section, we were pretty much alone, when I happened to glance back wards, and there in the bushes was a clothed gawker, taking a picture of my wife. As soon as I spotted him, he turned and pretended to take pictures of the river! Again, I don't mind photos, but I'd like to be asked first, and I don't want them posted on the Internet. And the racy bathing suits! Why go to a nude beach, and wear the skimpiest g-string on the planet? Yet there they were, male and female, topless but wearing thongs and piercings that were obviously intended to attract attention. But we ignored all the negative aspects, and had a thoroughly good time in spite of it all.

Our advice: visit on a week day if you want less people and none of the negatives (especially if you have a family), and visit on a week end if you don't mind lots of nice folks, and can turn a blind eye to the less than family friendly aspects.

In the end, what can be said of a day that offers you a wind free, blue skied, sun kissed beach next to (relatively) warm water? PERFECTION is the only word to describe Collins Beach on a summer week day. We've found our piece of paradise, see you there!

Notice: This moderator, operating under username 'Moderator', has been terminated for repeatedly censoring or altering posts without providing a clear indication of which policy was being enforced. Her actions were not sanctioned by this organization.

Edited by - Moderator on 10/30/2006 3:26:15 PM

Cheri
Forum Member

Posted - 10/30/2006 :  3:27:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I love Ft. Collins Beach/Sauvie Island; much nicer than Rooster Rock. However, there was a clean-up at Rooster Rock that might have taken place after your visit.

Cheri

Doing what I can to positively promote nudism
-
-

FireProf
Forum Member

Posted - 10/30/2006 :  11:44:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We also love Collins Beach, Sauvie Island. We have good friends in Oregon and Washington that frequent this beach just about every weekend they can.

We've flown up to spend long weekends with them and they have taken us to Collins several times. Like most of the nude beaches, it's usually a long drive for most but it's a nice beach, lot's of couples, families, singles and watching the big ships go up and down the river is also a treat. They've got quite a huge volleball group...much larger than ours at San Onofre Beach.

websites

Posted - 10/31/2006 :  01:22:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Have to admit, we were nervous, it was our first time. But either it was beginner's luck, or that's just the way Collins Beach is - it was just fantastic.

It really made up our minds - nudism, naturism, naturalism - what ever you call it, we love it.

Edited by - websites on 10/31/2006 01:23:39 AM

Cheri
Forum Member

Posted - 10/31/2006 :  10:45:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by websites

Have to admit, we were nervous, it was our first time. But either it was beginner's luck, or that's just the way Collins Beach is - it was just fantastic.

It really made up our minds - nudism, naturism, naturalism - what ever you call it, we love it.

One thing it's not is naturalism, which is the study of plants and animals.

"Welcome to Our World"

Regards, Cheri

Doing what I can to positively promote nudism
-
-

websites

Posted - 11/01/2006 :  12:28:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A rose by any other name is still a rose, I guess. Although I have to admit, if another name could be coined for the life style, it might attract far more people. I know way back, when we heard the term nudist, it had a negative connotation to it, carried some serious psychological baggage with it. When we finally investigated things for our selves, it turned out to be fine, the most natural thing to do, go to the beach with no clothes.

"Nudist" tends to sound like an action word, almost as if our clothed state is natural and normal, and we have to become nude some how, when we already are. The popular term "get naked" can be closely associated, again, inferring that the naked state has to be "got" to, when in reality you're already there. It's the clothed state that you have to work to achieve.

I still think people who study the natural world ought to be called naturists, and the rest of us who believe in living naturally, the way God made us, can call our selves naturalists. It just seems to fit better.

I know it's splitting hairs, but having spent years in advertising, I've seen how changing a products name will change how it is received...

FireProf
Forum Member

Posted - 11/01/2006 :  7:41:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
For what it's worth, my 2 cents that is, I think we give words way too many meanings and are clouding our language for the sake of politically correctness.

Take "lifestyle" for instance. My wife and I live a nudist lifestyle. For some the word "lifestyle" now means your are associated with "swinging, wife swapping." That couldn't be further from the truth for us.

I have co-workers that are confused enough about my "lifestyle." So to add another word into the mix such as "naturalist" when that word already means, using "their" words, a "tree hugger," I keep to the words our lifestyle has coined for years, Nudist/Naturist. Just seems less confusing.

GeeWilly
Forum Member

Posted - 11/21/2006 :  3:33:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Interesting report, websites. It has been a few years since I visited Collins Beach and Rooster Rock. Sorry to hear that Rooster Rock has deteriorated so. When there last, there was a trail out toward the Columbia River that crossed a shallows area and came to something of a sand island. It did not have volley ball, but it did have hetero couples and lots of room for children to play. The trail began just at the foot of a long flight of stairs that descended from the north side of the east end of the parking lot.

Collins Beach, too, had a gay and lesbian area at the north end. No signs or the like, just all of a sudden, as you walked north along the river, the couples seemed to be of the same sex. Nothing overt that I recall but I didn't really hang there. Your description of the main area is splendid. Good memories as well!

n/a
deleted

Posted - 04/29/2008 :  10:52:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just spent the day yesterday at Collins Beach. Since it is early in the year - not real warm yet - not many people were there. This was my first visit, and I found the people very friendly and open. The largest open area has a volleyball area set in the sand. People seemed gathered generally around there, although there were others scattered all down the c/o area - mostly nude. There were 2-3 boats anchored at any given time. The lower boundary was marked with 2 very small signs a bit inland - hard to see, but readable. I never found a marker for the upper boundary. The frontage road becomes visable at one point. I decided that was far enough.

The area seemed clean enough. Only one portable toilet for the entire c/o area, though. And THAT is in the parking area - NOT c/o.

I was able to take a few scenic photos, but I do not know how to upload them. I tried. Sorry. Contact me if you would like me to email any to you - or if you can tell me how attach them to this posting.

[Admin: I've uploaded them to our server. Since you sent them to me, I was able to resize them to 780 pixels wide to fit the forum, and I optimized them for the web so they load fast. Nice pics!]

I hope to go to Rooster Rock this coming weekend. I will write a report on it if I can.

Hiking the Cascades "naturally"!

Edited by - n/a on 04/29/2008 10:57:32 PM

Diger
Forum Member

Posted - 04/30/2008 :  09:51:00 AM  Show Profile  Send Diger a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
You will need to get your photo hosted on the web some where. Then you can add a link or even a photo in your post. You can open a free flikr photo sharing account. That will get your photos on the net so you can share them.

Diger

n/a
deleted

Posted - 05/06/2008 :  11:05:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, here's one more update for the spring beach lovers in Oregon. This last Sunday, I visited Rooster Rock State Park - c/o area. The Columbia River level is still very high, so there is no walkable access to Sand Island yet. The photos that should be attached soon will show you that there is VERY little open area on the mainland beach area. Most of it is badly overgrown. I hiked through the trees, brush and grasses for about 45 minutes to find a place to photo Sand Island. Most of the trails were under water. Fortunately I did not have to "suffer" alone, as one man and one woman joined me in the trek. The bush was so thick, we almost gave up twice. There are no markers once you enter the c/o area, so it's a guessing game if you don't know your way. We back tracked many times, finding a dry trail. "Lady Luck" smiled on me for the return trip to civilization - someone showed me the "direct" route.

Also, it appears that when the water level subsides, the experience will be much better. I'll try it again then. In the meantime, the view of Sand Island was worth the hike. I hope you enjoy the photos. Kevin (in Admin.) has been nice enough to post photos for me, until I learn how. (I think that may be a while.) I'll try to post another update after my visit to Sand Island. Expect a good report.

-----------------------

Since my stay at Rooster Rock State Park was short, I returned to Collins Beach, Sauvie Island. It was very nice there. Many more people than last time. The weather is nice now (for Oregon), and lots of sunburns (including me).

Hiking the Cascades "naturally"!

B and S

Posted - 08/06/2009 :  8:39:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We love Collins Beach, we love meeting new people and people who love to be nude just like us, but, there needs to be more & better access to the porta-potties, so we don't have to get dressed, run up to the road, to 'take care of business'. Also, there needs to be a bike lane for the bikers on Sauvie's Island, so it's safer for them & for us. And yes, please, tell the population that likes to be dressed but yet like to gawk, to either strip & gawk or just leave. If you see us on the beach (we like to wear zany hats, have props that coordinate, like a theme), come and see us and say 'hi', because we love to meet new nude friends.

aunatural_cpl

Posted - 09/06/2009 :  8:02:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We managed to get out to the Sand Island nude beach at Rooster Rock State Park this last week before the rain started. We really enjoy this beach as an alternative to Sauvie. It's so nice to have 2 legal nude beaches in Oregon...sure wish there were even more. We took the kids and they had a blast sliding down the big sand hills. Not too many others out there this time since it was a week day. We really enjoy Rooster Rock and would love to see more families and couples out there as well. Nudist families and couples should make a point to visit both beaches (Sauvie and Rooster) so we can show our support and make sure they both stay CO. The large Sand Island is the best bet for families. It's much more family friendly and has some great beaches and sand hills for the kids to play on. When entering the CO area of the park head off to the left after going down the stairs to get to Sand island. You will want to head to the West end of Sand Island. If you go straight on the main trail you will just end up in an area of the park with lots of bushes where lots of guys tend to hang out. This can be rather intimidating for the ladies and is not the recommended route.

It's easy to get out to Sand Island this time of year (Aug/Sept) when the water is down low. Here is a link to an aerial map of Sand Island so you can get a sense of the approach from the far East end of the parking lot where the CO beach starts. http://www.bing.com/maps/default.aspx?v=2&FORM=LMLTCC&cp=45.551909~-122.21745&style=h&lvl=15&tilt=-90&dir=0&alt=-1000&phx=0&phy=0&phscl=1&encType=1

As mentioned previously, early in the season when the water is up things are a bit more challenging. We actually bought a couple of blow up Kayaks this year and launched them down by the parking lot when we were there in June. We just packed up our gear in the kayaks and paddled up to Sand Island with the 2 kids. It's a little bit of a work out, but well worth it. This approach makes you earn your beach time... :) If you have a boat or jet ski you can also launch at the boat ramp at Rooster Rock and just head up to Sand Island from there. This is what we did this week. Just watch the boat ramp late in the season because the inlet to the river gets real low this time of year. We were barely able to make it out with our jet skis and would not have been able to launch here with our boat. Anyway, let me know if there are any questions and hope to see more families and couples out there. Maybe we can meet some of you out there one of these days.

coolbiker

Posted - 09/10/2011 :  3:24:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I see most are old posts so will add an updated post about Collins Beach. With all the rain and high rivers kinda marshy this yaer in spots. Ya might wanna check out squaw mountain ranch for a family place.

Previous Topic: Secret Cove, at Lake Tahoe, Nevada Topic Next Topic: Oval Beach, Saugatuck, MI  
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic |   Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Nudist-Resorts.Org Discussion Forum Bulletin Board Nudism Clothing Optional Resort Naturism Nude Beaches © 2002-2020 SUN Go To Top Of Page
This page was down to skin in 0.52 seconds.

General Rules and Terms of Service

Membership in the Nudist-Resorts.Org discussion forum is free, can be anonymous, and requires only a working email address. All email links to members are cloaked. You can disable your email link. Nude photos can be posted, if within our posting rules. No erotica, spam or solicitation is allowed here. References to sex or genitals in your username or profile will result in removal from the forum. Information and opinions regarding anything related to nudism are encouraged, including discussions concerning the confusion between nudism and eroticism if discussed maturely. All posts in this forum are moderated. Read our POSTING RULES here and here. All information appearing on this website is copyright and intellectual property of the Society for Understanding Nudism unless otherwise noted. The views expressed on these forums by participants are not necessarily representative of the Society for Understanding Nudism. Administrators reserve the right to delete anything outside the posting rules, or anything in their opinion not appropriate. To post, you must have cookies enabled and be at least 18 years of age.

Email the Webmaster | Legal Information

Copyright © 2002-2015 SUN - Society for Understanding Nudism
All Rights Reserved