Nudist-Resorts.Org - Naturist Discussion Forum / Bulletin Board

Nudist-Resorts.Org - Naturist Discussion Forum / Bulletin Board
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?

About Us | Active Topics | Active Polls | Site News | Nudist News | Online Users | Members | Destinations | N. A. I. R. | My Page | Search
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 497 ]  [ Total: 497 ]  [ Newest Member: dild0 ]
 All Forums
 General Discussion - Everything Else
 Current Events
 Harbin Hot Springs destroyed
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic |   Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: Shark bite at Haulover Beach Topic Next Topic: Funny view of Nudist-Resorts.org  

NaturistDoc
Forum Member

Posted - 09/15/2015 :  3:11:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The historically awful Valley Fire west of Sacramento has destroyed a venerable clothing-optional venue. For more than forty years, Harbin Hot Springs, while not a typical nudist resort, offered a clothing optional "retreat center" with a strong New Age emphasis. (They had workshops on things like "Tantric Massage" and Reichian Therapy".) If that sounds a little too hippy-dippy, I understand (and agree), but Harbin was a 'live and let live' sort of place, and didn't force their world-view on visitors. Perhaps they'll re-open some day, but for now their buildings, trails, and forests are all gone. So sad.

http://www.pressdemocrat.com/news/4478485-181/valley-fire-harbin-hot-springs?gallery=4478807

Warmskin
Forum Member

Posted - 09/15/2015 :  7:02:03 PM  Show Profile  Send Warmskin a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the link, Doc. I went there once, on a whim. Very impressive place, and well developed. Hard to believe it's gone, but with this state being as dry as it is, nothing can fail to be at risk.

I wasn't into their spiritual side at all.

They might want to rebuild elsewhere, because of the need for trees to have a nice setting. They do have their sister site in the Sierra Nevada, though, which I have been to much more often.

Hopefully, with a fire insurance payoff, they can rebuild. There are perhaps other hot springs nearby. It's an earthquake prone area all around where it was, and thus the chances of other suitable hot springs is probably good, if they wanted to rebuild quickly, rather than wait for their current site to arise like a Phoenix from the charred, treeless condition it's in.

One thought, though. If they engage in a lot of tree planting, they can have a nice place once again on their existing spot. One advantage would be is -- one huge fire break would exist all around.

If they did relocate in the Calistoga area, it would save that long winding drive up the mountainside to get to where their current site is.

Yes, it is certainly sad. Of all the places to have to burn! Sigh.

“I rise early almost every morning and sit in my chamber, without any clothes whatever, half an hour or an hour, according to the season, either reading or writing.”
Ben Franklin

NaturistDoc
Forum Member

Posted - 05/11/2016 :  7:42:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here's an update from Harbin. They hope to re-open on a very limited basis as early as this coming Fall, but their complete recovery will take years.

http://harbin.org/community/news/

Warmskin
Forum Member

Posted - 05/29/2016 :  8:34:03 PM  Show Profile  Send Warmskin a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Doc. The place is reasonably close to me, and I look forward to seeing it open, howbeit very limited in scale. Their sister site, fortunately, is open and untouched.

A map is at this link.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Harbin+Hot+Springs/@38.5107801,-122.101662,7.96z/data=!4m5!3m4!1s0x8084724dbe981ba5:0xde57c3ab0ecaa2c9!8m2!3d38.7867005!4d-122.6517954?hl=en

“I rise early almost every morning and sit in my chamber, without any clothes whatever, half an hour or an hour, according to the season, either reading or writing.”
Ben Franklin

Bill Bowser
Forum Member

Posted - 05/30/2016 :  09:21:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There's an article about Harbin Hot Springs in the UK Guardian. http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2016/may/30/harbin-hot-springs-resort-california-mountains

Bill Bowser - Cincinnati
Not lewd, not crude, just nude.

Nudists are everywhere, but they're hard to identify with their clothes on.

NaturistDoc
Forum Member

Posted - 07/15/2017 :  4:26:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Harbin is slowly rising from the ashes. Here's the June update.

harbin.org/community/news/

NaturistDoc
Forum Member

Posted - 09/07/2019 :  4:31:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
By chance I will likely be visiting Harbin Hot Springs next week. I'll report back when I get home.

Warmskin
Forum Member

Posted - 10/09/2019 :  05:57:38 AM  Show Profile  Send Warmskin a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
While waiting for Doc to let us know his thoughts and feelings on the rebuilding of Harbin, here is aerial picture of the facility, fairly recently:

https://harbin.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/08/mainside.jpg

Looks a bit like our great neighboring state, Nevada, with so many of the trees gone.

Ben Franklin

Nude in AK
Forum Member

Posted - 10/09/2019 :  08:19:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
While I do not know what it was like before the fire, it still looks like a good place to visit.

NaturistDoc
Forum Member

Posted - 10/28/2019 :  7:15:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As so often happens, life intervened and our planned visit got canceled. And once again Northern California is on fire. I'll try again next year ... assuming Harbin survives this year.

Nude in AK
Forum Member

Posted - 10/29/2019 :  10:06:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
With all the fires in California, will they ever get a break?!?!

Warmskin
Forum Member

Posted - 11/15/2019 :  05:09:24 AM  Show Profile  Send Warmskin a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
One of the only side-benefits of a California fire is that it creates one dickens of a fire break. For Harbin, there is only grass, and I imagine a few trees that managed to escape the fire of a few years ago.

I would imagine that Harbin will be safe from fires for a while, save for grass fires which are probably not as bad as fires in more heavily treed areas. The Sierra Nevada comes to mind. By October, it's a desert with lots of trees. The first thorough rain will weaken the fires and help prevent fires through May, or so, if we get a normal rain season here.

Ben Franklin

Warmskin
Forum Member

Posted - 11/28/2019 :  02:56:52 AM  Show Profile  Send Warmskin a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Over 3 inches of rain will hit Northern California next week. Should put an end to the fire season. That should convert the dry grass around Harbin into a state of harmlessness.

Ben Franklin

Previous Topic: Shark bite at Haulover Beach Topic Next Topic: Funny view of Nudist-Resorts.org  
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic |   Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Nudist-Resorts.Org Discussion Forum Bulletin Board Nudism Clothing Optional Resort Naturism Nude Beaches © 2002-2020 SUN Go To Top Of Page
This page was down to skin in 0.21 seconds.

General Rules and Terms of Service

Membership in the Nudist-Resorts.Org discussion forum is free, can be anonymous, and requires only a working email address. All email links to members are cloaked. You can disable your email link. Nude photos can be posted, if within our posting rules. No erotica, spam or solicitation is allowed here. References to sex or genitals in your username or profile will result in removal from the forum. Information and opinions regarding anything related to nudism are encouraged, including discussions concerning the confusion between nudism and eroticism if discussed maturely. All posts in this forum are moderated. Read our POSTING RULES here and here. All information appearing on this website is copyright and intellectual property of the Society for Understanding Nudism unless otherwise noted. The views expressed on these forums by participants are not necessarily representative of the Society for Understanding Nudism. Administrators reserve the right to delete anything outside the posting rules, or anything in their opinion not appropriate. To post, you must have cookies enabled and be at least 18 years of age.

Email the Webmaster | Legal Information

Copyright © 2002-2015 SUN - Society for Understanding Nudism
All Rights Reserved