Nudist-Resorts.Org - Naturist Discussion Forum / Bulletin Board

Nudist-Resorts.Org - Naturist Discussion Forum / Bulletin Board
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?

About Us | Active Topics | Active Polls | Site News | Nudist News | Online Users | Members | Destinations | N. A. I. R. | My Page | Search
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 457 ]  [ Total: 457 ]  [ Newest Member: dild0 ]
 All Forums
 Nudism, Sex and Sexuality
 The Sex Industry
 Latest Bulletin: Sex Sells!
Next Page
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic |   Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: Why do nudist resorts change to lifestyle resorts? Topic Next Topic: The end of nudism as we know it.
Page: of 4

Admin
Forum Admin

Posted - 06/07/2004 :  11:07:55 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Because it is such a powerful sales tool, nudity has been exploited by the advertising and sex industries. The idea of nudity being comfortable and non-sexual doesn't sell products, so the opposite is emphasized. In the process, when we say we are nudists to the general public, they have been programmed to think there is something naughty or sexual about it. The average nudist has Madison Avenue working to promote the sexual stereotype, and he or she needs to speak out in forums such as this to let the public know that nudists are just regular people.

To add your comments, click Reply To Topic after logging in.

spottedpony

Posted - 06/26/2004 :  12:09:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
and going one step further, attempt to educate people there are many reasons to be nude, being nude doesnt make one a nudist

gospel
Forum Member

Posted - 08/11/2004 :  2:17:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Late in the spring this year I decided that since we have been sunbathing in the nude for a number of years I should see if I could find out if people who do such things can get genital cancer at a higher rate because of sun exposure. Not knowing where else to look I googled the word nudist. The first site I looked at was Bare Buns nudist web page and I discovered a great surprise, that nudists have a code of ethics and are very concerned about not sexualizing nudity. Since then I have looked around a lot and am still amazed that what I had been taught or believed is not the case with those of us who like to be bare without turning it all sexual. With that said, I do recognize that the great majority of people I know, particularly in the christian community, consider nudity a sin or perverted at least, therefore, I don't talk about what I believe to be true with just anybody. Probably madison ave. had influenced my thinking in a large degree but a prudish mother did her share also.

gospel

gospel
Forum Member

Posted - 08/11/2004 :  2:25:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I still haven't heard if nude sunbathing is dangerous to the genitals

gospel

Dave
Forum Member

Posted - 08/11/2004 :  7:51:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gospel

I still haven't heard if nude sunbathing is dangerous to the genitals

gospel

Like any other part of the body,if you don't protect it it will be harmed!!!So slather on the sunscreen and in the sun we go...Dave

gospel
Forum Member

Posted - 08/11/2004 :  7:55:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I haven't been doing that because I wanted an all around tan. Can you still tan while using sun screen?

gospel

FireProf
Forum Member

Posted - 08/11/2004 :  7:58:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
gospel,

Absolutely...you can still tan all areas even if they are covered with sunscreen. Do not fret, apply the sunscreen and go get that all over tan.

jdr
Forum Member

Posted - 08/11/2004 :  8:37:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sunscreen does more than just help block the UV rays. Among other things, it also moisturizes the skin to keep from getting the dried leather look. You can still get a great tan or a great burn while using the lotion. The higher the number the longer it takes, but even with a #45 you can get a bad burn after a full day in our sun unless you have a decent tan base to start with. If you're not using a pool oil works really well. My wife and I spend almost every weekend on the Hawaii beaches and use nothing but oil, which you can also get with different degrees of protection. Not sure if it's good for the pool filter though. I just got a full skin scan two weeks ago, which is supposed to be part of the annual physical in tropical areas for people over 50, and asked the doctor if the genital area was more likely to cause skin cancer problems. He told me the most common areas, by far, are still the face, ears, neck, and upper shoulders, but he did say that you can get skin cancer anywhere, whether exposed to the sun or not. He does highly recommend lotion or oil protection for any exposed areas.

Don

Admin
Forum Admin

Posted - 08/12/2004 :  11:32:32 AM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Reply with Quote
A gentle reminder:

The topic for this thread (please mind the titles at the top of the window, they are important) is "Latest Bulletin: Sex Sells!", which is an opportunity to discuss the effect of Madison Avenue sexual stereotypes on social nudism.

Thanks for the sunscreen info, I just hope someone asks the same question in a sunscreen topic, where the question should have been posted! It's good information. However, no one would be able find the information easily in this thread, hence, we have the No Topic Hijacking rule that we try to follow.

nudewoodsman

Posted - 08/12/2004 :  12:14:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Foucault suggests that by hiding our bodies we are more and more compelled to talk about them, analyze them, become obsessed with them in ways which we never were when our bodies were less hidden. Along with this growing dialogue, paradoxically, is a growing distortion about the true nature of our bodies, for as we cover and hide our bodies we allow our bodies to be commodified; packaged, airbrushed, and sold back to us. I suggest that if we as a society could be more open with nudity, perhaps we would no longer be as susceptible to Madison Avenues' distortions. Any thoughts?

Edited by - nudewoodsman on 08/12/2004 12:16:20 PM

nudeisntlewd
Forum Member

Posted - 08/12/2004 :  1:01:49 PM  Show Profile  Send nudeisntlewd a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nudewoody

Foucault suggests that by hiding our bodies we are more and more compelled to talk about them, analyze them, become obsessed with them in ways which we never were when our bodies were less hidden. Along with this growing dialogue, paradoxically, is a growing distortion about the true nature of our bodies, for as we cover and hide our bodies we allow our bodies to be commodified; packaged, airbrushed, and sold back to us. I suggest that if we as a society could be more open with nudity, perhaps we would no longer be as susceptible to Madison Avenues' distortions. Any thoughts?

Absolutely right! If society was more open to casual nudity, they would have to come up with other ways to get our attention. They would have to start getting creative to find other vehicles to carry their pitches to us.

This may be oversimplifying it, but I believe that we are taught that our bodies are something to hide and be ashamed of, from about the time we learn to speak. Before that it's cute. What becomes forbidden then becomes desired. Then the advertisers offer us what we want along with what they want us to have (read buy). They know how it works. Believe me, they know practical psychology better than the qualified psychologists do.

Randy

nudewoodsman

Posted - 08/12/2004 :  1:19:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes Randy,I agree.

Perhaps the real question becomes, why are we taught our bodies are something to be ashamed of and hide? It wasn't always this way. Our bodies, there functions, and sexuality were considered natural. Michel Foucault tells us in The History Of Sexuality:
"At the beginning of the seventeenth century a certain frankness was still common, it would seem. Sexual practices had little need of secrecy; words were said without undue reticence, and things were done without too much concealment; one had a tolerant familiarity with the illicit. Codes regulating the coarse, the obscene, and the indecent were quite lax compared to those of the nineteenth century. It was a time of direct gestures, shameless discourse, and open transgressions, when anatomies were shown and intermingled at will, and knowing children hung about amid the laughter of adults: it was a period when bodies ‘made a display of themselves.’"

nudeisntlewd
Forum Member

Posted - 08/12/2004 :  3:31:35 PM  Show Profile  Send nudeisntlewd a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
That is a difficult, possibly impossible, question to answer. I suspect that many factors over time contributed.

I was not aware that sexuality was still fairly open in the early seventeenth century. That knowledge should dispell the myth that religion is the one big factor that made people become uptight about nudity. I'm sure that some religious teachings have played a role, but I doubt that it is the role that most people think. I know a number of people of many faiths-Christian, Jewish and otherwise who are practicing nudists.

Randy

Dave
Forum Member

Posted - 08/15/2004 :  5:39:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I live in the "Bible belt" and yes sex does sell, nudity is still a sin.Go figure it doesn't compute.What a bunch of HIPPO-CITTS,key word being HIPPO!!!Dave...

calmnude
Forum Member

Posted - 08/15/2004 :  8:35:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
you are insulting HIPPOS.

Sex sells, especially in the bible belt. lots more teaser ads for products than in a lot of areas of the country, and some with little subtlety.

depends on which side of their mouths people are speaking from (wink, wink).

praise the lord on sunday, and tell offcolor jokes at the local watering hole.

this is not to disparage those honest believers; but they are few and far between.

gospel
Forum Member

Posted - 08/15/2004 :  9:10:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Personally I think that there is hippocracy on all sides of the fences. Everyone lives in some form of hippocracy for it is impossible to live consistently with all that you say you believe no matter who you are. Religious people are not alone in this.

gospel

Page: of 4 Previous Topic: Why do nudist resorts change to lifestyle resorts? Topic Next Topic: The end of nudism as we know it.  
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic |   Printer Friendly
Next Page
Jump To:
Nudist-Resorts.Org Discussion Forum Bulletin Board Nudism Clothing Optional Resort Naturism Nude Beaches © 2002-2020 SUN Go To Top Of Page
This page was down to skin in 0.37 seconds.

General Rules and Terms of Service

Membership in the Nudist-Resorts.Org discussion forum is free, can be anonymous, and requires only a working email address. All email links to members are cloaked. You can disable your email link. Nude photos can be posted, if within our posting rules. No erotica, spam or solicitation is allowed here. References to sex or genitals in your username or profile will result in removal from the forum. Information and opinions regarding anything related to nudism are encouraged, including discussions concerning the confusion between nudism and eroticism if discussed maturely. All posts in this forum are moderated. Read our POSTING RULES here and here. All information appearing on this website is copyright and intellectual property of the Society for Understanding Nudism unless otherwise noted. The views expressed on these forums by participants are not necessarily representative of the Society for Understanding Nudism. Administrators reserve the right to delete anything outside the posting rules, or anything in their opinion not appropriate. To post, you must have cookies enabled and be at least 18 years of age.

Email the Webmaster | Legal Information

Copyright © 2002-2015 SUN - Society for Understanding Nudism
All Rights Reserved