Nudist-Resorts.Org - Naturist Discussion Forum / Bulletin Board

Nudist-Resorts.Org - Naturist Discussion Forum / Bulletin Board
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?

About Us | Active Topics | Active Polls | Site News | Nudist News | Online Users | Members | Destinations | N. A. I. R. | My Page | Search
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 158 ]  [ Total: 158 ]  [ Newest Member: dild0 ]
 All Forums
 Nudist Conduct and Etiquette
 Nudism - Supporting Family Values / Mental Health
 Why and When Is Nudism Healthy for Children?
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic |   Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: Naturism -vs- Exploitation Topic Next Topic: Babies on the beach?
Page: of 3

calmnude
Forum Member

Posted - 06/09/2004 :  9:28:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Cali...

I think you went about it in exactly the right way. While the reaction may have not been as ex[ected, it is out in the open.

As far as the long shirt is concerned, let him find his own comfort level.Hopefully he will connect with other children his age and all will be well.

Good luck, and good parenting.

calicpl1191
Forum Member

Posted - 06/10/2004 :  4:17:23 PM  Show Profile  Send calicpl1191 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks calmnude. We'll let you know how it goes...

Mr & Mrs. Cali....

NudeAl
Forum Member

Posted - 06/12/2004 :  12:49:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I echo Calmnudes remarks. I think ypur son will be able to make up his own mind in time. But he is going through a difficult period and his body is changing so he may not take to it right away. I have hope though that he will have fun and eventually he may take the plunge especially if he is into water sports. Congratulations and good luck.

"The best dress for walking is nakedness." Colin Fletcher

Kimberly
Forum Member

Posted - 06/12/2004 :  04:19:48 AM  Show Profile  Send Kimberly a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
All three of my kids went through the shy stage around puberty. Not only are their bodies changing, but the way they think too. Just let him be himself, and when he feels comfortable enough he may join you.

Kim =^.^=

pilot
Forum Member

Posted - 06/12/2004 :  1:39:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I wonder whether the question isn't "backwards"--perhaps we should be asking why and when "modesty" (I am using that as an antonym of nudity) is healthy for children?

It has been pointed out in this forum, and others, that "children are natural nudists".

Certainly, parents of kids raised in the mid 20th century took a fair number of "kid-on-the-bearskin-rug" and "kid-playing-with-the-hose" and "kid-in-the-wading-pool" photographs without any clothes on. These were considered harmless and cute. They were developed at the camera store or drugstore and no one thought twice about it.

Bath time was and continues to be a family affair in many homes where there are toddlers. Frankly, it's easier to get the youngster clean if there is not much worry about who or what gets wet.

As kids grew up and went to some of the more rustic summer camps, skinny dipping might or might not be common, but the dreaded "lake bath"--that water was cold!--on Saturday mornings was a staple of camp life. By this time, of course, the genders were separated but social nudity was a fact of camp life.

My point is that nudity is a fixture of early childhood development. Yet at some point, the social convention of covering one's "private parts" is imposed. My impression--and I would be pleased to be corrected on this if I am wrong--is that putting on a swimsuit is linked to "growing up"--being identified as a "big boy" or "big girl" and leaving the nudity to the babies. What kid wants to be left behind at the baby stage?

Moreover, if the child only rarely see his/her siblings nude and rarely sees his/her parents nude, there can be only a couple of possible interpretations--either nudity is just for babies or there is something "wrong" with being nude. Given advertising, internet and other media linkage between nudity and prurience, it doesn't take long for kids to make a link between (adult) nudity and sex.

It would be disingenuous to suggest that modesty is never healthy for children. It would also be wrong. We need to accept that whatever values we communicate to our own kids, others in the world will link nudity and sexuality and they need to be prepared to cope with that linkage. Like it or not, we live in a textile world.

With that disclaimer, it's worth remembering that what's important to kids are values and not appearances. Respect for oneself, for others, and for their bodies are core values. Such respect for physical well-being is demonstrated and taught in many ways, including (but not limited to) regular exercise, avoidance of unnecessarily dangerous behaviors (smoking, excessive alcohol, speeding and so on), sensible diet and so on. I think--and others may disagree--that this type of self-respect is pre-requisite to eradicating notions of body shame. I do not mean to suggest that everyone can or should like a fashion model or movie star. But "they're naked and we're not because they are healthier and better looking" is an unfortunate by product of what passes today for entertainment. Kids need to hear a consistent message from adults and especially their parents that includes respect for their bodies.

It is a fact that many young teenagers going through puberty are uncomfortable with the changes in their bodies. Hair, odor, acne and (for the women) menarche are constant reminders that big transitions are being made. Those changes occur at different rates among groups of friends in the same age cohort, and there is always anxiety about who's ahead, who's behind and what that means. We adults know that it means nothing, but we don't do a great job of reassurance that everyone gets to the finish line. Here comfort with social nudity among adults would be a big plus--I have yet to see an adult in a teenager's body (no matter how hard they may try!).

Finally, humans--especially kids--have tremendous capacity for adaptation. If one becomes a physician, nurse or similar health care worker, one sees nude humans on a regula

Nudony
Forum Member

Posted - 01/22/2005 :  01:52:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Before nudism can even begin to be beneficial for children, IMHO, both parents have to be comfortable with it; being nude around each other first, and then being nude around their children. You may get them to the resort, but you may not get them to accept it as a lifestyle if Mom and Dad are not on the same page. One of my mottos is "if you can't do it at home, don't bother going anywhere else!" But seriously, I recommend getting your children used to seeing you nude first, in a very gradual manner, especially if teens. For example, a friend of mine started leaving the bathroom door wide open when she was in it; her son objected at first, but eventually got used to it and felt comfortable enough to walk in and talk to her. And that's when your child is psychologically equipped to see you and others nude; and that also makes disrobing easier.

Beyond that, I don't think there's anyway of prediciting what effect nudism will have on your child. If he/she enjoys it, the great. But if it's the other way around, let it go; and maybe home-nudism is sill an option.

Steppinout

Posted - 04/07/2006 :  09:40:04 AM  Show Profile  Send Steppinout an AOL message  Click to see Steppinout's MSN Messenger address  Send Steppinout a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I fully understand your concerns about thrusting you children into the life style. My children were 5 and 9 when my wife and I intoduced them to nudism. We first sat with them and explained to them that it was ok to be naked and that we (my wife and I) were nudists. We started by talking and explaining, I ordered a movie from the net about family naturism to show them that it is acceptable. After the movie, there were many questions which we answered. My youngest was the first to shed her clothes and the oldest waited a couple of days before she took hers off. That was last year, we are now full phledged nudists and frequent the nudist beach in the summertime. The kids love their new found "freedom". I hope this helped? The thing I think helped is that we didnt make a big deal about it as far as they have to do this, we basically left it up to them.

quote:
Originally posted by calicpl1191

Yes. But, being new to nudism, my wife and I cannot think of any simple way to introduce our 2 children (11 & 9 years old) to this way of life. The were not raised as nudists. Quite the opposite. Before recently discovering the joy and freedom that nudism brings, my wife and I taught our children the traditional "cover up" style of child rearing. I fear that if I were to now tell them that its ok to be nude outside of the bathroom, it may confuse them. Moreover, they have never seen my wife or I in the nude, and I cannot fathom how that would effect them.
The wife and I have fallen in love with nudism, and I'm sure the kids would love it just as much, but, the act of becoming a nudist was made by us - as adults. Since my children were not raised as nudists, and were not exposed to this type of lifestyle at an earlier age, would it not be better to let them make that decision for themselves when they reach adulthood? Looking back, it would have been much easier on them, I think, if they were raised from an earlier age as nudists. But to suddenly thrust them into such a drastic change in beliefs might be a little shocking to them. I would hate to force them into something without knowing how it would effect their mental health. As children, are they mature enough to make that type of decision?
I wish there were an easy answer to this. Believe me, I have pondered long and hard for a way to introduce the kids to this. I hate lying to them. Every time we get a babysitter they become curious as to where we are going...what we are doing. But I just can't bring myself to tell them...not yet.
Another problem is that, with the exception of one close friend, nobody knows of our new nudist lifestyle. We know that our family and friends would not be supportave, especially if they knew we were involving the kids.
I know that there is no easy answer to this, but I am sure that others have been here before us. Any ideas, or past experiences to share would be of great help. Thanks....

Johnny

ToAsTeD
Forum Member

Posted - 12/23/2006 :  01:28:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow! What a great thread! Too bad nothing has been posted here for quite a while!

The advice given here regarding children and nudity is very helpful! (Thanks!)

Some of my questions have already been answered before I had a chance to ask them! (Again, thanks!)

My son is still very young, but I have to agree that children are "natural nudists!" He loves to be nude whenever he can!

-ToAsTeD

Rodders
Forum Member

Posted - 12/24/2006 :  07:19:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was very lucky to have been brought up by parents who thought it quite normal to go around the home in the nude. As an only child I must have benefited from seeing my mother and father naked as it took away a lot of mystery about their bodies and mine and provided visual answers to questions never needed to be voiced. I was used to how the mature human form looked and all my early questions were answered mainly by my mother who was not too shy to discuss the physical differences between men and women. When my body started to change I was expecting those changes and I will ever be grateful for being so privileged to have lived in such an environment. It was me who first started to close the bathroom door at the age of about fourteen. This really was "cutting of my nose to spite my face" as this also ended the sheer luxury of having my hair washed by my mother whilst taking a bath. This never returned but within a year or so the doors all re-opened and my body again was just a "suit of skin". This was the suit I was most comfortable in and swimming and sunning have always been done wearing it unless forced by convention at public pools and beaches to wear something. Being a nudist is a direct result of my parents and the way they prepared me for life and such a gift it has been. Bless them both.

Rod

allnaturalwife
Forum Member

Posted - 12/26/2006 :  4:57:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I will say just a few things on this topic as many of you probably know my thoughts from reading my other posts. We have raised all three of our daughters in a nudist environment since they were born. As babies.. they were crawling around naked on the lawn and in the sand at our local nudist club, house and beach. Then, as toddlers, they were running around naked on the lawn, grass , and sand at our local nudist club , house and beach. Now, they are teenagers spending 99% of their time naked at our house, local nudist club and beach. They NEVER got into the whole "wearing clothes thing". Not for one second did any of their desire to be naked, change or diminish when they hit their teen years. In fact all three of them honestly find their friends who wear clothes kind of weird. In fact our girls have "converted" many of their friends to the nudist lifestyle. Unlesss absolutely necessary no one in our family will lay out in the sun or swim nude. These activities especially to us, are only done nude. Even the mere though of a "swimsuit" is ridiculous to us and un natural. You dont have to "introduce nudism" to your children per say. Just dont teach them any of that anti-nudity stuff that so many parents do, and nature will do the rest.

Jenn

Nudony
Forum Member

Posted - 12/28/2006 :  06:57:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by allnaturalwife

I will say just a few things on this topic as many of you probably know my thoughts from reading my other posts. We have raised all three of our daughters in a nudist environment since they were born. As babies.. they were crawling around naked on the lawn and in the sand at our local nudist club, house and beach. Then, as toddlers, they were running around naked on the lawn, grass , and sand at our local nudist club , house and beach. Now, they are teenagers spending 99% of their time naked at our house, local nudist club and beach. They NEVER got into the whole "wearing clothes thing". Not for one second did any of their desire to be naked, change or diminish when they hit their teen years. In fact all three of them honestly find their friends who wear clothes kind of weird. In fact our girls have "converted" many of their friends to the nudist lifestyle. Unlesss absolutely necessary no one in our family will lay out in the sun or swim nude. These activities especially to us, are only done nude. Even the mere though of a "swimsuit" is ridiculous to us and un natural. You dont have to "introduce nudism" to your children per say. Just dont teach them any of that anti-nudity stuff that so many parents do, and nature will do the rest.

Jenn

I think the main factor in your success as a nudist family is the consistency you have maintained over the years in making nudity as part of everyday life. This holds true in just about any walk of life: "practice makes perfect." A child who has always known nudity, on an everyday basis, is not quite as likely to second guess it. The second guessing occurs when nudity is sporadic; or the philosophy is clothing-optional; or one of the parents is "just not into it"; or again when the child has no nudist peers to relate to. And this is unfortunately a reality for many people/families. We all hope to create a situation as wholesome as yours; but this only happens to a few.

imnude2
Forum Member

Posted - 12/28/2006 :  11:01:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"Consistency" is good, but what about this comment: "In fact all three of them honestly find their friends who wear clothes kind of weird." stated by allnaturalwife about her teenager's attitude towards their non-nudists "friends"?

Although it is great to have that opportunity to grow up in a nudist family environment, I would not want to condone the comment that non-nudists are "kind of weird."

Acceptance of all people is a primary goal in my life. I happen to look forward to being nude whenever possible. Thankfully, I do not have an attitude that those non-nudists are strange because they do not want to be nude. I did not grow up in a nudist family. And, I never had the attitude that nudists were strange because they wanted to be nude.

Acceptance of all people (nudist, non-nudist, etc.)

The idea of all people living a nudist lifestyle is great, but not realistic. To say if all people would bring up their children with this consistency of being nude will work is not right either. Thankfully, we are individuals with our own mind to decide for ourselves (on all issues in life.)

(Certainly, growing up around people with a good attitude about nudity helps.)

ImNude2

Edited by - imnude2 on 12/29/2006 10:06:20 PM

allnaturalwife
Forum Member

Posted - 12/28/2006 :  2:45:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hold on a second, I was being sort of sarcastic in that statement, when I said my daughters think their "clothed friends are weird". I was not saying that our nudist family actually thinks non-nudists are weird. Although we cant understand why anyone wouldnt choose to be naked as much as possible!!:) Its sort of difficult to convey a joking tone in typed text, so I sometimes get misunderstood to be quite literal in certain things I say. Anyway, like I have stated before nudism is a way of life for us, NOT just something we participate in. Many times this leads to differences of opinion between our family and other nudists. Of course we maintain that everyone is intitled to their individuality. Actually there are more "home nudist" families than you might think. Although many wouldnt take it to the next level, by attending a nudist club or beach, many of the parents of my daughters classmates have said that they spend time at home naked as do their children. They just dont want to make the leap to "social nudity" with others. I maintain my position, that a large majority of people on this planet if NEVER taught all of the mis-guided,shamefull things that ignorant people and society associate with nudism, would naturally live more of a nudist lifestyle. People wouldnt "become nudists" they just wouldnt become "clothes-ists" either....If that makes sense.

Jennifer

openess
Forum Member

Posted - 12/28/2006 :  4:21:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jennifer,
You raise an interesting question. If people were not indoctrinated/coerced to cover themselves up, would they instinctively remain nude? Not surprisingly, probably like most people on this forum, I believe they would. I believe the body naturally wants to be uncovered and I think most of us here can actually feel that. Our sense of well being is subtly but tangibly improved when we are nude. This is what our body tells us, and nudists are receptive to the body's message that nude is the way we're supposed to be. Unless it's cold. Then the body changes its message.

allnaturalwife
Forum Member

Posted - 12/28/2006 :  4:54:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree openess. Even when it is cold, many of us do what ever we can to remain nude. Depending on the importance of being able to spend a majority of the time nude, many of us choose to live in warmer climates. Others who dont have the luxury of a warmer nude friendly climate, may devote much of their income to frequent vacationing to places where they can enjoy social nudity. Some may have higher heat and energy bills, to maintain a comfortable tempurature in their homes to remain nude. Some, like our family, do all of the above.

Jenn

Page: of 3 Previous Topic: Naturism -vs- Exploitation Topic Next Topic: Babies on the beach?  
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic |   Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Nudist-Resorts.Org Discussion Forum Bulletin Board Nudism Clothing Optional Resort Naturism Nude Beaches © 2002-2020 SUN Go To Top Of Page
This page was down to skin in 0.23 seconds.

General Rules and Terms of Service

Membership in the Nudist-Resorts.Org discussion forum is free, can be anonymous, and requires only a working email address. All email links to members are cloaked. You can disable your email link. Nude photos can be posted, if within our posting rules. No erotica, spam or solicitation is allowed here. References to sex or genitals in your username or profile will result in removal from the forum. Information and opinions regarding anything related to nudism are encouraged, including discussions concerning the confusion between nudism and eroticism if discussed maturely. All posts in this forum are moderated. Read our POSTING RULES here and here. All information appearing on this website is copyright and intellectual property of the Society for Understanding Nudism unless otherwise noted. The views expressed on these forums by participants are not necessarily representative of the Society for Understanding Nudism. Administrators reserve the right to delete anything outside the posting rules, or anything in their opinion not appropriate. To post, you must have cookies enabled and be at least 18 years of age.

Email the Webmaster | Legal Information

Copyright © 2002-2015 SUN - Society for Understanding Nudism
All Rights Reserved