Nudist-Resorts.Org - Naturist Discussion Forum / Bulletin Board

Nudist-Resorts.Org - Naturist Discussion Forum / Bulletin Board
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?

About Us | Active Topics | Active Polls | Site News | Nudist News | Online Users | Members | Destinations | N. A. I. R. | My Page | Search
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 411 ]  [ Total: 411 ]  [ Newest Member: dild0 ]
 All Forums
 General Discussion - Everything Else
 General discussion. Post anything off-topic here.
 "Who knows?"
Next Page
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic |   Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: Germany Allows Women to Go Topless in Pools Topic Next Topic: HAPPY NEW YEARS
Page: of 20

pilot
Forum Member

Posted - 12/19/2003 :  3:55:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Topic Title: "Who knows?"

Despite the growing popularity of--and growing publicity surrounding--nude recreation in the United States, first-timers commonly express a fear: "What if I run into someone I know?" Whether this is a matter of personal embarassment or a legitimate concern about job security and so on is never quite clear.

My question to the members is, "Who knows?", or more specifically, "Who knows that you prefer and practice a 'nude when possible, clothed when practical' lifestyle?"

To start the answers, here are mine:

Mom
Sister
Brother-in-law and his wife
Neighbor
Secretary
Several co-workers

I assume that some have told others, which mean there are likely dozens in my circle of acquaintances who know. About the only thing that has come of it are half-joking offers to carry our bags when we visit Orient Beach, knowing full well how light we pack...

calmnude
Forum Member

Posted - 12/19/2003 :  4:54:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
lots of people know, have been nudist forever, and dont hide the fact, so there are probably hundreds that know.

and it doesnt bother me a bit

melissastarr
Forum Member

Posted - 12/19/2003 :  5:02:52 PM  Show Profile  Visit melissastarr's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Well, my list is pretty short:

You all know
My nudist mom knows
A small handful of friends know (maybe 4 people)

With my profession (teacher) I think it would have negative career implications for me to announce to the world that I'm a nudist. However, some days I just want to tell everyone. I'm not sure why, but I want people to know. Does this make sense?

Melisa

Corasol
Forum Member

Posted - 12/19/2003 :  5:41:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Pilot/Mélissa,

Is it very important to let all the world know what you like, what you do, what you think, so on....?

I think that choices in life is personnal and if somebody want to know, they can ask and you answer....

The question is not to hide (like in the closet) but you (we) don't have to spread it with no reasons....

peace

Corasol

Spontanudity
Forum Member

Posted - 12/19/2003 :  7:14:12 PM  Show Profile  Visit Spontanudity's Homepage  Click to see Spontanudity's MSN Messenger address  Send Spontanudity a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I'm a very open person, I generally tell everybody everything! :) Most of the people know at work know that I regularly go to nude beaches. Saying that I work in a Sales environment so my collegues are quite extraverted and openminded so they barely acknowledge that I do anything out of the ordinary.

Cheers,
Spontanudity

"Forever Naked"
http://groups.msn.com/YoungSydneyNaturists

skinnydipper
Forum Member

Posted - 12/19/2003 :  7:30:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It almost sounds like “being naked” has a stigma attached to it. Assuming you get naked only where it will not offend others (at home, in secluded areas, known nudist venues, etc.), there is no disgrace or shame. It’s natural, it’s healthy, and it feels good.

I think there is a general perception that a "nudist" is an adherent of a nude lifestyle or doctrine. Nudists believe this, don’t believe that, etc. “All birds of a feather flock together...” I don’t like the word “nudist” because I do think it still has a stigma attached to it. That Pilot would pose this topic implies that there is shame involved and secrets to be kept.

My friends know I like to go skinny dipping, and some of them call me a nudist. I simply think of myself as being “open-minded.” I will admit that I prefer freestyle nudity (beaches) over “organized” nudity (resorts & campgrounds).

Having said that, I will admit we live in a wacky world. There are skillions of narrow-minded conservative zealots who expect the rest of the world to behave as they do and become agitated and sometimes livid when we don’t. Why can’t they just live and let live? Where is the harm?

To conclude my paradox, let me say that although nude recreation is steadily gaining acceptance and popularity, “nudism” and "nudist" still carry a stigma. So I don’t tell anyone I’m a nudist, just a skinny dipper.

Eric

Grin & bare it ;)

Spontanudity
Forum Member

Posted - 12/19/2003 :  8:21:20 PM  Show Profile  Visit Spontanudity's Homepage  Click to see Spontanudity's MSN Messenger address  Send Spontanudity a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Eric,

You make a very good point. I know when was in my late teens/early 20's, I certainly didn't call myself a nudist... I simply enjoyed being nude and skinny dipping whenever practical. I think a lot of young people feel this way.

Today, I prefer to call myself a naturist. As I believe naturism is more about freedom than nudity.

Cheers,
Spontanudity

"Forever Naked"

nothreads
Forum Member

Posted - 12/19/2003 :  9:44:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've never worried about seeing someone I know. I figure, if I did see someone I know, not only would my cover be blown, but so would theirs, making us even. Then we'd have something else in common. I have told my kids, but not other family. A couple friends know. But I don't think everyone needs to know. I figure only the closest need to know, others don't really need to know. Unless it came up in conversation of course, then it may come out.

Undress for Success

Cheri
Forum Member

Posted - 12/19/2003 :  10:05:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Most of my co-workers and friends at my religious congregation as well as the rabbi know I'm a nudist. I am not concerned about meeting someone I know at a nudist venue. Should we be friends in the textile world, that would make us better friends.

My sister is a nudist for the past 4 yrs. My parents are both deceased; my mother possibly would have enjoyed the lifestyle. Not sure about my dad.

Our neighbor on the north knows that if they peek over the fence or come in, they may find me/us au naturale as I've told them we prefer to skinny dip in our hot tub. The neighbor to our south are elderly and ill. I've not seen them in a very long time. Those on the other side of the road, we've just a passing acquaintance with them.

When a new person is hired and has dealings with my office, I let them get to know me briefly BEFORE I give them the information that I prefer to skinny dip. I find that term is more acceptable to the uninformed.

:) Cheri

Doing what I can to positively promote nudism
-
-

Corasol
Forum Member

Posted - 12/20/2003 :  05:36:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Spontanudity

I'm a very open person, I generally tell everybody everything! :) Most of the people know at work know that I regularly go to nude beaches. Saying that I work in a Sales environment so my collegues are quite extraverted and openminded so they barely acknowledge that I do anything out of the ordinary.

Cheers,
Spontanudity

"Forever Naked"

Sponta,

I agree with you all the way... Like you I'm quite extravertite and everyone knows about my life and life style...

Unfortunatly, in my area (where I live) nudist beaches don't exist... mentality ?

From time to time, some groups gather in a secluded place (at a lake) and as soon that It's knowen, they will close the place...

If you don't belong to a (what they call here) nudist camp or nudist club, it's very hard to go to a beach...

There is one (secret) nudist club and it's not even around a lake or river... they only have a big swimming pool in the middle of a field.. and a sky high fence around... only couples can join...

peace

Corasol

pilot
Forum Member

Posted - 12/20/2003 :  07:38:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Corasol,

I agree that "broadcasting" one's preferences is neither necessary nor desireable. What happened was that my wife and I chose to vacation a few years ago at Club Orient, the naturist resort on St. Martin's Orient Beach.

1. I asked my secretary and my travel agent to help with the arrangements. As I expected, my travel agent had never before been asked to participate in booking a nude holiday. So I sort of had to explain to my secretary and my travel agent that this vacation would be a little "different".

2. Friends and family noticed how relaxed we were when we returned home, and asked where we had been. We answered the question without much elaboration--Club Orient on Orient Beach--and it usually took about an hour for questions to come back to us--the time I think it took people to look up Club Orient on the internet. Sometimes the questions were short, to the point, and probed no further. For example, "You didn't get any tan lines, did you?" "No, we didn't." End of conversation. But more often, it was "What was it like?". At least one of my coworkers took her husband for a vacation there six months later.

3. Among our friends and colleagues and family, the trips to St. Martin have become almost a metaphor. When I get a little too wound up in my work, my secretary will gently--ever so gently--suggest that it is time for me to take my bride of a quarter-century back down to the Caribbean for a bit of naturist holiday.

pilot
Forum Member

Posted - 12/20/2003 :  07:54:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Melissa,

Your profession may well be the deciding factor about "how public" you can go with your textile preference. Whether you or I make the link is beside the point: a significant portion (hopefully, a minority but who can tell?)feels that absence of clothes is shameful, sexually suggestive, or some combination thereof. There is some basis for their concern: men "exposing themselves" on street corners to children is still a significant problem. The fact that it's the person, and not the act, that is the problem is lost on parents who just want to protect their kids.

The silver lining in the cloud is that, as a teacher, you will have enormous influence over your charges. Conveying the idea that anatomy comnes in two basic types, and neither has any shameful parts is an incredibly important message. Keeping anatomy separate from sexuality is also important. All of us, but especially children, have a right to feel comfortable in our own skins, and to freedom from fear of molestation by predators.

irishred
Forum Member

Posted - 12/20/2003 :  08:52:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't worry about running into people I know. If I do, we would both be nudists or in nude setting. Not many know that I am a nudist (due to my profession). I prefer to keep it low key.

irishred

Corasol
Forum Member

Posted - 12/20/2003 :  09:18:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As you might have read in my past messages, I'm going to Sydney (Australia) this coming january...

Now, I've been invited to a wedding and 10 of us (from Québec) are leaving together for the wedding...

Once in Sydney, everyone will do what ever they want, (maybe going swimming or sunbathing). My she freind and I are opting to go and spend our days on a CO or nude beach....

That's it that's all.. If (some or) they want to join, it's "ok" if not it's also "ok". We are respectful, responsable adults and don't have to justify our choice...

As mentioned in my previous posts, I spend (because of the cold weather) more than 6 monts a year fully dressed and when I go on holiday it's to enjoy the sun fully.. completly.. No lines will show...

peace

Corasol

nothreads
Forum Member

Posted - 12/20/2003 :  09:44:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I went to a nephew's wedding reception last summer, '02. They had gotten married in Jamaica, I believe, and had a reception for friends back at home. They showed a video of the wedding, and the surroundings. The groom pointed out the "clothing optional beach", and mentioned they had spent some time there. It didn't shock me at all, but I'll bet there may have been a few others in the room who may have been startled. Guess I should ask my sister more about it. I wouldn't be surprised it she has tried it herself.

Undress for Success

FireProf
Forum Member

Posted - 12/20/2003 :  2:13:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Who knows?

Our grown children
Son in law
Son in law to be
My co-workers
All of you
The owners and manager, massuese and staff at Terra Cotta Inn, our favorite place near home.
Many new nudist friends

I would like more people to know. My wife is more hesitant. She, like Melissa, is a teacher and when you are in that career, you tend to be under the microscope a little more. Funny though, we've met more teachers that are nudists than any other occupation. Those teachers, they can really use the stress relief nudism provides.

Page: of 20 Previous Topic: Germany Allows Women to Go Topless in Pools Topic Next Topic: HAPPY NEW YEARS  
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic |   Printer Friendly
Next Page
Jump To:
Nudist-Resorts.Org Discussion Forum Bulletin Board Nudism Clothing Optional Resort Naturism Nude Beaches © 2002-2020 SUN Go To Top Of Page
This page was down to skin in 0.41 seconds.

General Rules and Terms of Service

Membership in the Nudist-Resorts.Org discussion forum is free, can be anonymous, and requires only a working email address. All email links to members are cloaked. You can disable your email link. Nude photos can be posted, if within our posting rules. No erotica, spam or solicitation is allowed here. References to sex or genitals in your username or profile will result in removal from the forum. Information and opinions regarding anything related to nudism are encouraged, including discussions concerning the confusion between nudism and eroticism if discussed maturely. All posts in this forum are moderated. Read our POSTING RULES here and here. All information appearing on this website is copyright and intellectual property of the Society for Understanding Nudism unless otherwise noted. The views expressed on these forums by participants are not necessarily representative of the Society for Understanding Nudism. Administrators reserve the right to delete anything outside the posting rules, or anything in their opinion not appropriate. To post, you must have cookies enabled and be at least 18 years of age.

Email the Webmaster | Legal Information

Copyright © 2002-2015 SUN - Society for Understanding Nudism
All Rights Reserved