Nudist-Resorts.Org - Naturist Discussion Forum / Bulletin Board

Nudist-Resorts.Org - Naturist Discussion Forum / Bulletin Board
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?

About Us | Active Topics | Active Polls | Site News | Nudist News | Online Users | Members | Destinations | N. A. I. R. | My Page | Search
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 463 ]  [ Total: 463 ]  [ Newest Member: dild0 ]
 All Forums
 Education - Promoting the Nudist Lifestyle
 How to educate your non-nudist family members
 ADULT SIBLINGS
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic |   Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: Introducing nudism to young children Topic Next Topic: wife argues about nudity around grandson  

acoustixman
Forum Member

Posted - 10/30/2008 :  8:14:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My sister is a non-nudist, however quite liberal and sexually open-minded. She was married about a year ago and is in her lower 30's, living in New England, but quite cultured by nearly a decade in Berkeley / Oakland.

I am a nudist/naturist, quite conservative and Christian. I have been married for about 7 years, in my mid 30's, near Las Vegas, NV.

I recently 'came out of the closet' to her since we're good friends too, to explore her as a first approach to ultimately letting my parents in on my wonderful lifestyle of naked preference.

Her response was quite positive, but absolutely chock full of the word "sex". She was trying to encourage me by referring to the wholesomeness of individual expressions of sexuality, and how the church has it all wrong in condemning such acts.

It's funny, because I clearly have her support for my choices, but my motives are misunderstood. Now I expect that this may precede my discussion to our parents, causing them to be less receptive by being pre-equipped with a sexual categorization. Frankly I'd like having everyone I know be aware of my preference to be naked, so I will tell them, but:

IS THERE A WAY TO sincerely break such preconceived sexual notions on intentional nakedness?? Frankly, nudity alleviates my sexual urges quite nicely since it is a sensual experience, but much more durably wholesome; sex is often made quite far from my mind when focusing on the joy of being naked in the outdoors. It is my fear of people not realizing this that is virtually my sole inhibition to being seen naked by anyone and everyone.

Cheers!

Seeking my role in opening the eyes of the world to the simple harmless pleasure of being naked in our great outdoors.

Teva
Forum Member

Posted - 11/02/2008 :  6:02:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As is said somewhere else on this forum..couldn't find it, use the term skinny dipping rather than nudism. Print out some information from TNS and AANR's websites (www.aanr.com) (www.naturistsociety.com) since you are more into it for the relaxing and de-stressing than what others here believe it to be.
Teva.

agde
Forum Member

Posted - 11/03/2008 :  3:13:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Naturist Society's has the famous "205 Arguments in Favor of Naturism" which is always a handy reference for answering various preconceptions.

Meantime, a late-20s acquaintance who recently went through this with family members told us she learned that the key thing for her was just "to stay on message" -- that naturism was simply a clothing choice, separate from sex or religion or whatever, and just a comfortable way to relax, be natural, and let the skin breathe a bit.

She also said that she found it was important to be alert and open to each person. Her mother, for instance, initially seemed kind of embarrassed, but it was more complex. When they talked about it, it turned out her mom was actually being embarrassed on her daughter's behalf. Once that got cleared up -- daughter was not feeling at all awkward -- mom relaxed herself. In contrast, for her younger brother, there was the sex aspect, but again after some talking (and laughing), he decided he could cope, flipped some mental switch, and went back to being merely annoyingly brotherly..

Moral of the story: Each family member or friend may be different and need a separate little chat, but they'll quickly sense where your head really is and adjust, so the effort is really worthwhile.

(PS. Parents tend to filter information received from specific children so, whatever they hear from your sister, their questions will most likely be their own. )

Edited by - agde on 11/03/2008 3:32:18 PM

blackrebel
Forum Member

Posted - 11/04/2008 :  10:31:14 AM  Show Profile  Visit blackrebel's Homepage  Send blackrebel an AOL message  Send blackrebel a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
What else would you expect from Berkeley person?

No shame

acoustixman
Forum Member

Posted - 11/26/2008 :  3:03:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Some good thoughts to go on here... Thanks all!

Teva: Good suggestion; thanks. I just wouldn't want to seem like I'm hiding the actual extent of my nakedness by implying I would be just as happy in getting all the way to the water before doffing... If one decides to go "skinny-dipping" with me with a hike to the swimming hole, they might as well be prepared to see me nude from the car park.

agde: Sounds like I have a work in progress here, and it's just a matter of sticking with it to ensure that a thorough understanding is promoted...

blackrebel: About right I think. Not to 'impose' an opinion either way, nor steer this topic to religion, but briefly this would be consistent with the fact that her study of "Divinity" in Berkeley has virtually erased all Christian bias from her mind, such that she is no more actively Christian than Pagan or Hindu - an 'inner goddess' thing or what have you. It appears to have been more of a study of personal divinity and real-life applications of mythology rather than a study of what IS divine. I am personally quite Christian, and find it dissapointing when I attempt to reconcile the two of us with the same church-prone upbringing (but only inwardly; I maintain a VERY high tolerance for other persuasions - I'm sure it's the nudist in me :)). Her mindset is quite unified, to my own way of thinking: I think this has all opened her 'sexual' mind and being, and created a very responsive and diametric release from traditional youthful 'confines'; a sort of coming of age as a feminist individual (which is not a negative remark nor epithet), as it might have been characterized and encouraged by her post-graduate alma mater's instructive tenurate. As a result of driving toward such a 'pre-ordained' personal need (whether it was endogenous or successfully 'sold' to her), her experiences in academia seem to have allowed (caused?) her to simply traverse more moderate forms of personal discovery (such, obviously, as nudism/naturism).

Now I'm really off on a tangent... It seems this is part of how I see OUR (nudists') most substantial challenge; that of generating societal acceptance and interest. People who have discovered relatively extreme oppositional responses to 'traditional mores' have become quite outspoken, and thus all the light shines on them, allowing our more peaceful, tolerant, quiet, and frankly, readily integrated example to not only fail to be effectively noticed and understood, but moreover to be negatively associated with such rejections of tradition as these sex-positive comings of age. That is, the outspoken sex-positive activists are tending to preempt our presentation to the masses and we are consequently assumed to be part of that crowd by those who don't yet get it.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

Seeking my role in opening the eyes of the world to the simple harmless pleasure of being naked in our great outdoors.

Warmskin
Forum Member

Posted - 11/26/2008 :  8:15:38 PM  Show Profile  Send Warmskin a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Unfortunately, the masses often think that nudity is the equivalent of sex, or sexual desires. That probably is from clothed people's neurosis about the basic human body, and how it is "disgusting" and "shameful." I don't know why the USA is so much into this discomfort with the body, as opposed to our cousins in Europe who are relatively much more comfortable with nudity.

Another difficulty for nudism to bear is the general public's confusion of nudists with swingers. Some resorts that feature swinger activities can be confused with nudist resorts.

I don't know if the swinger resorts make any public effort to distance themselves from nudist resort. If not, they owe public statements to that effect. If they do publicly differentiate themselves from nudist resorts, good for them.

That government governs best, which governs least - Thomas Jefferson

OldBaldGuy
Forum Member

Posted - 12/14/2008 :  02:22:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We are new to public nudity, but we are going to "workamper" at a nudist/naturist resort in the near future. We have been telling friends and family, their comments range from "sounds like fun" to "we won't come to visit." But no one has had a really bad response...

OBG

coptmac
Forum Member

Posted - 12/14/2008 :  11:08:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I took the opportunity a year ago to tell my brother of my venture as a nature nudist. He was a bit surprised and then I described what is meant by that self-appraisal. As I spoke of the parameters of my nakedness (non-sexual; rather sensual) he seemed to understand. He lives within 6 miles of a AANR campground and probably won't ever go there, though I have invited him to give life a try textile-free! I feel that he has accepted this part of my life without the often harsh judgment of the Christian culture. Both he and I have a strong walk with the Creator of these (originally in Eden) nude bodies.

Warmskin
Forum Member

Posted - 12/15/2008 :  01:18:27 AM  Show Profile  Send Warmskin a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Coptmac,

I hear you on your last message. Actually, as it turns out, Christians come in many flavors. The are plenty of nudist Christians. You could look that up on Wikipedia, under "Christian Naturism."

As for siblings, they can be sticky wickets, especially if your siblings are competitors instead of the cooperative type. You did make an excellent breakthrough by telling your sibling about your nudism. That is a significant part of the battle. Perhaps as time goes along, that sibling will do some soul searching and do a 180. You never know. Maybe you could keep on bragging now and then about the specifics that you enjoy the most at a nudist resort. After some time of doing that, the other person might just have to go to that nudist place and see for him/her self what is so wonderful about it.

"If tyranny and oppression come to this land, it will be in the guise of fighting a foreign enemy." James Madison

Previous Topic: Introducing nudism to young children Topic Next Topic: wife argues about nudity around grandson  
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic |   Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Nudist-Resorts.Org Discussion Forum Bulletin Board Nudism Clothing Optional Resort Naturism Nude Beaches © 2002-2020 SUN Go To Top Of Page
This page was down to skin in 0.15 seconds.

General Rules and Terms of Service

Membership in the Nudist-Resorts.Org discussion forum is free, can be anonymous, and requires only a working email address. All email links to members are cloaked. You can disable your email link. Nude photos can be posted, if within our posting rules. No erotica, spam or solicitation is allowed here. References to sex or genitals in your username or profile will result in removal from the forum. Information and opinions regarding anything related to nudism are encouraged, including discussions concerning the confusion between nudism and eroticism if discussed maturely. All posts in this forum are moderated. Read our POSTING RULES here and here. All information appearing on this website is copyright and intellectual property of the Society for Understanding Nudism unless otherwise noted. The views expressed on these forums by participants are not necessarily representative of the Society for Understanding Nudism. Administrators reserve the right to delete anything outside the posting rules, or anything in their opinion not appropriate. To post, you must have cookies enabled and be at least 18 years of age.

Email the Webmaster | Legal Information

Copyright © 2002-2015 SUN - Society for Understanding Nudism
All Rights Reserved